PDA

View Full Version : Stratagy and techniques book

Wheelson
04-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Hi, I'm recently getting more strategic in my playing. I'm using the net a lot more lately but I don't know what times are good to run up or not to run up.
I play both singles and doubles. Can anyone recommend me a book with strategies, different techniques, and doubles techniques? It can be separate books if needed.... I know what your thinking a teenybopper willing to read?

Oh BTW first post :)
thanks in advance
-Will

Essential Tennis
04-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Will,

I just wrote an article earlier today in my blog about approaching the net in singles. It goes over when to come up, where to aim your approach, and where to position yourself to cover the court most affectively. Go to the link in my signature to read it.

As for doubles, get to the net as quickly and often as possible. If you're not comfortable with it already learn to serve and volley, and return and volley with competence. Also if your overhead isn't very confident already get out there and make it so, good doubles players are constantly trying to get in to gain advantage over their opponents and pressure them into making mistakes.

As for books, one of the other pros I teach with often brings in "Unlimited Doubles" and it looks like an awesome resource for doubles strategy.

Cheers

Wheelson
04-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Thanks that article was a good read. I still have some questions though. I don't take nor have I ever taken lessons. Therefore i don't know the intricacies of techniques such as the serve and volley and various other important strategies.
Though I am still on my schools varsity tennis team and I am a very well rounded player. Well to the point I'm kind of looking for a book that teaches those kind of techniques and how to use them otherwise I'll be left with strategy and no technique as opposed to I am now technique and no strategy.

Cheers
-will:grin:

The Home Run Kid
04-07-2008, 07:03 PM
I actually was wondering a lot about that too, and that article really helped. Thank you, and by the way, Essential Tennis, you and me are sort of neighbors, I'm in Boonsboro, right outside of Hagerstown.

ogruskie
04-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Winning Ugly by Brad Gilbert. Mental strategies on how to beat any opponent. Very useful read.

wyutani
04-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Winning Ugly by Brad Gilbert. Mental strategies on how to beat any opponent. Very useful read.

yeah, i recommend that book too. its about recognising and capitalising on the oppoent weakness. it prevents you from being a brain-dead tennis player. useful i say.

sp00q
04-08-2008, 05:37 AM
@Essential Tennis

Great blog! It is already in my Favorites sites list! ;)

raiden031
04-09-2008, 05:50 AM
Competitive Tennis: Climbing the NTRP Ladder

I love this book. It discusses in detail the strategies often used at the different NTRP levels as well as how to play with and against the various doubles formations and also discusses singles strategies at each level as well. Plus there are alot of drills they recommend.

k_liu
04-09-2008, 05:54 AM
Winning Ugly was the first book my wife read when she decided to take up tennis. To this day she quotes from the book. Climbing the NTRP Ladder is another good book.

rhelm
04-09-2008, 09:05 AM
I had just picked up Winning Ugly; so far so good...recommended.

LuckyR
04-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Funny, I would never recommend Winning Ugly as a strategy book. It's a great book, but to my mind it's strength is in the approach to winning, especially as to the Mental Game (hence the title) but is pretty weak IMO on strategy.

For a teenybopper, I would recommend The Lure of the Big Game by Ng, it's style is appealing as it is written from the standpoint of a former Junior/college champ, not as an adult Pro.

Kemitak
05-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Also, you can learn alot by watching videos of Edberg and Becker and those sorts on you*longhollowcylinder*.com. Apart from practicing and just coming in on everything, which is the best way to learn, watching someone like Edberg for positioning, and what to do and not to do, can help alot. A great match to watch is Noah vs Muster in Key Biscayne. It's all there at *secondpersonsingularpronoun*tube.com. In 'Match Play and the Spin of the Ball', Bill Tilden says he spent the Winter of 1923 hitting topspin backhands until he could do it consistenly well. He says he lost plenty of matches, but in the end, he had developed a strong backhand. (He also says that losing half his finger helped, because he was forced to hold the racquet more firmly, so you could try that, I guess... How badly do you want to win?) And 1924 was the beginning of Tilden's five year reign.