PDA

View Full Version : Serve getting clobbered.

SeekHeart
04-07-2008, 05:05 PM
I'm a hs jv doubles player currently and I need help getting a better serve for my game. My current first and second serves are flat serves but I sometimes double fault and they usually end up being puff balls. I'm still developing an effective kick serve but so far I can't get the power for it. help?

samprasbackhand
04-07-2008, 05:11 PM
When hitting a kick serve, just make sure to get some good knee bend, have a high toss, and when the ball is at it's highest point, explode with your knees and brush the ball and it should be a pretty good serve

SeekHeart
04-07-2008, 05:12 PM
well, I can't do the knee bend that well or weight transfer well. My toss needs work too...

Babb
04-07-2008, 05:13 PM
There is no substitute for actual practice... :)

samprasbackhand
04-07-2008, 05:18 PM
well, I can't do the knee bend that well or weight transfer well. My toss needs work too...

Those are very important in a serve, so you should work on it

SeekHeart
04-07-2008, 05:19 PM
how can I improve weight transfer and what can I do to toss more consistently? I really don't know what I'm doing.

Vision84
04-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Watch the service lessons here.
http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/

SeekHeart
04-07-2008, 07:30 PM
I already did and I still get puff balls and also what is the best way to return a serve? Right now all I do is mess up.

f1 tech
04-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Tossing, to me, is the hardest part. You need to relax your arm and toss, not throw, with a straight arm. Try not to bend your elbow. Practice at home. Kneel down on the floor and toss the ball right above your head.

Vision84
04-07-2008, 07:58 PM
To return serve do a little check step onto your toes as your opponent is serving and just block it back to begin with with no backswing. When you get comfortable then you can start taking bigger rips at the ball but always make sure you do a little check step on your toes.

Nellie
04-08-2008, 08:36 AM
There is no reason to have powder puff serves, unless you are using a forehand grip and basically tapping the ball over the net.

If you ever watch junior players, you will see 10 year old girls hitting strong serves due to good technique, so don't blame your size/age.

Using a continental grip with good extension, you should be able to achieve a usable serve. Experiment with different toss locations so see where you can get spin so the ball will go in the court safely but with reasonable speed and spin to keep people from killing it.

If you want to hit less second serves, get the first serve in more.

Practice placement so even if the serve is soft, it is wide or down the tee.

Djokovicfan4life
04-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Practice your toss. It doesn't matter how perfect your form is, it'll all go down the drain if you're constantly reaching four feet behind your head to hit the damn thing.

harleywilson
04-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Flat serves suck unless you can hit them where the other person isn't. Don't try to hit a kicker before you can learn a decent topspin serve. They are different. You have to learn how to swing harder for a spin serve. A slice serve is good for a first serve (and second). You only need to change the location of your toss to put side spin on the ball.

Djokovicfan4life
04-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Flat serves suck unless you can hit them where the other person isn't. Don't try to hit a kicker before you can learn a decent topspin serve. They are different. You have to learn how to swing harder for a spin serve. A slice serve is good for a first serve (and second). You only need to change the location of your toss to put side spin on the ball.

Actually you don't have to change your toss at all. Look at the really good servers, i.e. Roddick, Djokovic, Federer, all of them can serve all the different kinds of serves with the same toss.

Vision84
04-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Actually you don't have to change your toss at all. Look at the really good servers, i.e. Roddick, Djokovic, Federer, all of them can serve all the different kinds of serves with the same toss.

Yes but that is a slightly more advanced technique and for a JV player is not necessary.