PDA

View Full Version : Something I noticed...

atang
04-07-2008, 09:58 PM
While playing tennis today, a thought suddenly occured to me. People using a full-western grip can hit an eastern one-hand backhand without changing grips in a baseline rally. Is there anyone out there that plays like this? Out of curiosity, those this play-style give you a slight edge over other grips because of not changing grips between forehands and backhands?

mclee025
04-07-2008, 10:07 PM
While playing tennis today, a thought suddenly occured to me. People using a full-western grip can hit an eastern one-hand backhand without changing grips in a baseline rally. Is there anyone out there that plays like this? Out of curiosity, those this play-style give you a slight edge over other grips because of not changing grips between forehands and backhands?

Check this thread for a wild debate about this subject:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=143795&highlight=one+grip

Djokovicfan4life
04-08-2008, 03:55 AM
Careful atang, you'd be surprised how touchy a subject this is on these boards.

Rickson
04-08-2008, 07:29 AM

Why would anyone do such an ugly thing? The western grip flipped over gets you a western grip on the other side, not an eastern bh grip. I use a sw fh grip and a near western bh grip, but I still use the other side. Justine uses a near western grip on both sides and she uses the other side. What does that tell you? It should tell you that good players don't use the same side face for forehands and backhands.

TennisProdigy
04-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Why would anyone do such an ugly thing? The western grip flipped over gets you a western grip on the other side, not an eastern bh grip. I use a sw fh grip and a near western bh grip, but I still use the other side. Justine uses a near western grip on both sides and she uses the other side. What does that tell you? It should tell you that good players don't use the same side face for forehands and backhands.

"Beauty" is in the eye of the beholder. If you feel like hitting on the same side then go for it. I'm sure there are many people who do this as well as pros such as Kohlschreiber to name one.

Djokovicfan4life
04-08-2008, 08:38 AM
I don't have a problem with it really, but wouldn't you be more likely to break strings since you use the same side for all your shots?

lethalfang
04-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Check this thread for a wild debate about this subject:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=143795&highlight=one+grip

I didn't make up my mind during that previous thread.
Weight all the evidence since then, however, I have concluded that there is absolutely nothing wrong with using the same side of your racquet for all shots, although it is still necessary to adjust the racquet every now and then.

futuretoptenner
04-08-2008, 09:54 AM
I don't have a problem with it really, but wouldn't you be more likely to break strings since you use the same side for all your shots?
LOL, An interesting point anyone have any technical knowledge? I actually don't think it would make any difference.

jefferson
04-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Once you get experience, the grip change is an uncontious action. I can not recall the last time I was caught with the wrong grip!

k_liu
04-08-2008, 10:12 AM
To each his own... use what works best for you.

Vision84
04-08-2008, 10:23 AM
LOL, An interesting point anyone have any technical knowledge? I actually don't think it would make any difference.

Nor do I. I don't pay attention to which side I use for forehands or backhands. I don't keep this the same throughout hitting sessions as both faces of the racket is essentially the same and the difference is not noticeable if there is one.

Rickson
04-08-2008, 12:21 PM
To each his own... use what works best for you.

It simply boils down to that, doesn't it?

fastswingVD
04-08-2008, 12:22 PM
that's me
but i use semi-extreme western for forehand and never switch grip for backhand
i just stick with that grip for baseline

mclee025
04-08-2008, 02:05 PM
... wouldn't you be more likely to break strings since you use the same side for all your shots?

To clear up a misconception, just as no normal person is going to hit all their forehands with the same side of a racquet face, the fact that someone uses the same grip for forehand and backhand (as being discussed) does not mean they are going to be hitting the ball with only one side of the racquet for any long duration.

It's correct that once the grip is set, they will be hitting with the same face be it forehand or backhand. However, once they release the grip, the next time they set the grip (be it be the next point or in the middle of a point from twirling the handle), it may result in hitting the ball with the other side of the racquet face. In the end, both sides of the racquet will get used.

TennisProdigy
04-08-2008, 03:01 PM

What I do is all my forehands, backhands, backhand slice and volley hit with one side of the racquet while forehand slices and volleys and serves are hit with the other side. I do this every single time I hit the ball because I wrap my overgrip in such a way that my fingers fit snug between the ridges.

Djokovicfan4life
04-08-2008, 03:10 PM
To clear up a misconception, just as no normal person is going to hit all their forehands with the same side of a racquet face, the fact that someone uses the same grip for forehand and backhand (as being discussed) does not mean they are going to be hitting the ball with only one side of the racquet for any long duration.

It's correct that once the grip is set, they will be hitting with the same face be it forehand or backhand. However, once they release the grip, the next time they set the grip (be it be the next point or in the middle of a point from twirling the handle), it may result in hitting the ball with the other side of the racquet face. In the end, both sides of the racquet will get used.

Ah, good point.

Tennis_Monk
04-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Ah, good point.

Not true entirely. If you are using a Power V Grip (also known as Wonder Wedge) on your racquet, you will ALWAYS be using the same side for hitting Forehands and Backhands.

I personally never noticed any disadvantage with that approach. I seldom break strings since i switched to Luxilon Alu power. I get my sticks restrung if i notice a dip in tension or etc.

Tim Tennis
04-09-2008, 05:48 AM
Not true entirely. If you are using a Power V Grip (also known as Wonder Wedge) on your racquet, you will ALWAYS be using the same side for hitting Forehands and Backhands.

I personally never noticed any disadvantage with that approach. I seldom break strings since i switched to Luxilon Alu power. I get my sticks restrung if i notice a dip in tension or etc.

Interesting, I used to get that question all the time about wearing the strings out quicker. Some customers thought it did but they switched from and EF to a SW grip and started using a steeper swing path and hit with more racquet head speed so of course this will place more stress/friction on the strings.

I finally reached the conclusion that it does not matter if you hit with the same side of the strings all the time because the friction/wear is always on the inside of the strings.

Best regards,

Ed

Tennis Geometrics
http://www.tennisgeometrics.com