PDA

View Full Version : How to see the ball better?

gunbuster
04-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Any tips for seeing the ball better? I keep telling myself to see the ball, but I still find I shank an awful lot. The worst is on volleys.

So either I get better at seeing the ball and making clean contact, or I gotta pray someone comes out with frameless rackets...

NamRanger
04-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Sounds like you just aren't used to the speed of the ball. It takes time, just try to keep your head steady and on the ball.

Totoro
04-07-2008, 11:10 PM
lol frameless racquets would be sweet

Here are a couple things I tell my students when learning to track the ball:

1) Ying Yang - If it's a sunny day, look for the line between shadow and light on the ball. Helps focus. Balance

2) Zero in on the spin - Pretty much speaks for itself

For your volleys a baseball glove and someone feeding you balls works wonders in steadying the hands. Could also be timing. Hope this helps.
>^.^<

dave333
04-08-2008, 05:25 PM
You can start your warm-ups with mini tennis, where you do abbreviated strokes back and forth from the service lines, and just focus on watching the ball. Then gradually move back.

Essential Tennis
04-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Any tips for seeing the ball better? I keep telling myself to see the ball, but I still find I shank an awful lot. The worst is on volleys.

So either I get better at seeing the ball and making clean contact, or I gotta pray someone comes out with frameless rackets...

here's an article I wrote on how to watch the ball correctly. I hope it helps

http://essentialtennis.blogspot.com/2008/03/watch-ball_24.html

Fay
04-08-2008, 06:08 PM

Awesome article, I really like the part about juggling, haven't done it since high school but will go back to it.

GPB
04-09-2008, 05:51 AM
Here's (http://www.revolutionarytennis.com/federervisiontechnique.html) an interesting take on "watching the ball." I find it hard to do, but my friend loves it. Give it a try; maybe it's for you.

futuretoptenner
04-09-2008, 05:58 AM
How about doing some pre-tennis meditation to help your focus. Really building up good concentration/focus a long with good footwork helps to almost see the ball in slow motion.

chess9
04-09-2008, 06:11 AM

Those are great tips!!

I also taught myself juggling as part of my magic act I did as a kid to get attention. :) I would deliver newspapers juggling three baseballs, and on a dare I delivered my whole route once in a snow storm balancing a broom on the end of my very large nose. :) My customers thought I was a very strange boy....

-Robert

Bungalo Bill
04-09-2008, 06:18 AM

In order to watch the ball better try making it easy for your brain to rid the distractions and allow it to focus on the bounce of the ball.

A cadence is necessary to get that timing back and to settle down. Use a cadence like HIT-BOUNCE-HIT to help you focus. By hearing yourself say this, your brain will be able to concentrate better. Further, you will read the ball sooner off the players racquet to get in better position to hit the ball.

Zachol82
04-09-2008, 06:21 AM

Try following the ball with your eyes throughout the rest of the point. It's actually not an easy thing to do consciously but you have to start here. Your mind will wander but keep focusing on the ball. If you tell yourself to look at the ball too much, then your eyes are looking at the ball but your brain is paying attention to you saying "look at the ball, look at the ball" and not actually paying attention to the ball...

Eventually, tracking the ball will be a subconscious thing for you. Just play more =)

k_liu
04-09-2008, 06:24 AM
Keep your eyes on the ball and hit the ball in front of you. If you are shanking a lot of volleys you may be hitting the ball behind your or taking your racquet back too far.