PDA

View Full Version : Pinging and vibrations from X-One Biphase ?

jjordache
04-07-2008, 11:22 PM
I just tried X-One Biphase (17) for the first time and it felt really weird for the first hour or so.
The bedstring was making a very noticeable pinging sound and the frame was vibrating when just lightly bouncing the ball up and down. This was with a dampener too.
I suspect this is because of the “break-in” period that I read is associated with this kind of string, but can anyone confirm it?

Anyways, after some more ball bashing it started to sound better and the vibrations were mostly gone, but it is still doesn’t sound very crisp at impact. I played about 2hrs with it so far.
This is on a Microgel Prestige mid+, strung at 55lbs and using a dampener.
Other than that I liked this string quite a lot; it has very good ball pocketing and plenty of controllable power. Next time I’d go tighter though because it feels kind of elastic now at 55.

tennisinoc
04-08-2008, 06:51 AM
Maybe it was a bad string job and the strings needed time to settle into proper place. I never had excessive pinging with X-one.

The "break-in" period is more the time period it takes the string to get to this point: very good ball pocketing and plenty of controllable power.
It plays very crisp and stiff at first then becomes soft and comfortable.

Pro_Tour_630
04-08-2008, 07:03 AM
possible your frame is cracked or a grommets got lose after string job

jjordache
04-08-2008, 08:37 AM
possible your frame is cracked or a grommets got lose after string job

that's not even funny !! Let me explain: I just sent another racquet back because I believed it was cracked - there was a largish paint bubble on the throat with some kind of linear pattern inside; plus the frame was killing my arm and playing a lot different than the demo. That was a kblade tour by the way and for the replacement I decided to go with the Prestige MP as I believe is much better suited to my game at this stage (read "the woo factor with the kbt worn off pretty quickly")
Anyways, this frame looks OK to me from the outside, so do the grommets.

jjordache
04-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Maybe it was a bad string job and the strings needed time to settle into proper place. I never had excessive pinging with X-one.

Maybe because of the CAP grommets on the prestige the strings need some time to settle in ? It was strung by TW by the way.

The "break-in" period is more the time period it takes the string to get to this point: very good ball pocketing and plenty of controllable power.
It plays very crisp and stiff at first then becomes soft and comfortable.

Yes, I definitely felt an improvement over time, only that at the beginning wasn't very crisp and stiff... it was just pinging like crazy.

Well, actually is not really a ping... is more of a squeaking sound. I know it sounds crazy but it reminded me of the noise you make when you step onto fresh snow :D

Bubba
04-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Maybe because of the CAP grommets on the prestige the strings need some time to settle in ? It was strung by TW by the way.

Yes, I definitely felt an improvement over time, only that at the beginning wasn't very crisp and stiff... it was just pinging like crazy.

Well, actually is not really a ping... is more of a squeaking sound. I know it sounds crazy but it reminded me of the noise you make when you step onto fresh snow :D

I play, and have played, w/ X-1 for quite some time and love it. I've never experienced what you are describing. Initial guess would be a loose or cracked grommet.

jjordache
04-08-2008, 10:01 AM
I play, and have played, w/ X-1 for quite some time and love it. I've never experienced what you are describing. Initial guess would be a loose or cracked grommet.

Argh... and I was hopping that I'm done messing around with frames... now I have to figure this out. :mad:
I'll post pictures with the grommets after I get home tonight. They really look OK to me but that's not telling much because I'm a noob when it comes to strings and stringing.

Looking at your sig though I see you have it strung at 62lbs... maybe they behave somewhat differently at 55 ? They move around quite easily btw.

Pro_Tour_630
04-08-2008, 10:11 AM
once the cheap plasticy CAP on the Microgel Prestige pro ripped in a place where you can not see it, when I replaced the CAP sound went away

jjordache
04-08-2008, 10:24 AM
once the cheap plasticy CAP on the Microgel Prestige pro ripped in a place where you can not see it, when I replaced the CAP sound went away

I'll order one or two grommets sets, just in case.
I;ll take a closer look tonight, you guys are pointing to the grommets as the main suspect.

Pro_Tour_630
04-08-2008, 11:17 AM
I'll order one or two grommets sets, just in case.
I;ll take a closer look tonight, you guys are pointing to the grommets as the main suspect.

check the top where the CAPS meet, or at the bottom on each side

downey stringing master
04-08-2008, 11:50 AM
i have this problem with squash rackets and good multi's , multi feel , xone , tf 305 , i prestretch the string ... tension slowly and time on my phone.. 30 secs to 60 secs.. for the string to settle. no vibrabrations at all, hey this is for squash. it shoud work for tennis too.

doctor dennis
04-08-2008, 12:01 PM
How are you finding the durability of this string???
I completely destroyed mine in about 5 hours. I`m quite a chronic string breaker but that is a record for me. It played really good for the first four and half hours then it became a trampoline. I had it strung at 57 pounds. I`m currently having my next set at about 60 poundsto see if i can increase the durability.
Still a great string though.

jjordache
04-08-2008, 12:02 PM
OK, I forgot to mention this... the X-1 was NOT pre-stretched, I called TW about it. I was wondering whether this will be an issue or not because they do recommend prestretching it in the review!

jjordache
04-08-2008, 12:08 PM
I completely destroyed mine in about 5 hours. I`m quite a chronic string breaker but that is a record for me. It played really good for the first four and half hours then it became a trampoline. I had it strung at 57 pounds. I`m currently having my next set at about 60 poundsto see if i can increase the durability.

I'm not a string breaker at all! That's why I'm moving from 16 gauge to 17.
It is a bit of a trampoline at 55 on my ~95sq.in frame. What frame size do you use ? I'm thinking about having it at 60lbs next too.

Other than the sound I like it very much so far. I was surprised with the access to spin, I didn't expect so much spin with a tight string pattern.

downey stringing master
04-08-2008, 12:10 PM
prestretching is good with xone is feels like is been "played in " in about 5 mins hitting from the b line ... i rip though i full xone job in around 1.5-2.5 hours in my open patterns 98's =[. hybridding though seems a good choice

jjordache
04-08-2008, 12:17 PM
prestretching is good with xone is feels like is been "played in " in about 5 mins hitting from the b line ... i rip though i full xone job in around 1.5-2.5 hours in my open patterns 98's =[. hybridding though seems a good choice

Aha, so this may be it! I felt an improvement after 1-1.5 of light hitting.

Man, I really don't know how you guys go through string sets so quickly... I must be playing kindergarden tennis :)
I'm not ready for a hybrid yet because I just changed way too many variables and need to settle a little first. I got a new racquet, now I need to find a good full bed string for it.

downey stringing master
04-08-2008, 12:26 PM
i dont hit allot of spin. flat forehands and slice backhand , and a good one hander but i kick the serve ... lots and hit baout 105 1sts and play against heavy hitting top spin players.. so just burn through them quick. what racket and strings have you decided on then ?

jjordache
04-08-2008, 12:35 PM
what racket and strings have you decided on then ?

Well, after 3mo and some 12 demos I settled on the Microgel Prestige mid+ but I'm still looking for a string setup. I want to try a few based on the TW reviews and the input on these boards, and X-one is high on my list. It will take me a long while though since I don't break strings that often... maybe around 3mo or so.

downey stringing master
04-08-2008, 12:44 PM
i would use full tf prc 1.25 or 1.20 off alu power rough with psg .. at umm 56-57 i strung 5 mids microgels and my mate loved them

Bubba
04-08-2008, 12:49 PM

Don't buy X-1 for the durability... especially if using it in a hybrid. it will frey just like NXT Tour or natural Gut... but it is a great string. I get a good 5 hours before serious wear occurs (4 solid hours on ball machine).

At that point, I either let it go for a bit or cut it out... just because of the spin I want to retain. X-1 holds good tension (the best of the mulit's) even after getting worn a bit.

Also - I get a little movement, but in the mains. Not too much. If you're looking for a nice hybrid, give mine a try - I love it in my K90's as well as my PDR's.

jjordache
04-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Bubba, do you pre-stretch X-one ?

jjordache
04-08-2008, 08:23 PM
OK, so I took a closer look and I don't think there's anything wrong with the grommets. Some of them are flared (where the knots are) but that's to be expected I guess. There are 4 knots... is that OK ?

Anyways, the frame doesn't vibrate anymore but still makes an "unusual" sound...not sure exactly how to describe it. Maybe this is normal for this string, not being pre-stretched and strung at mid 50s tension.

Pro_Tour_630
04-09-2008, 05:27 AM
by CAP I meant the FLAT plastic on top not the actual holes

Bubba
04-09-2008, 06:11 AM
Bubba, do you pre-stretch X-one ?

No, never (Nat Gut is only string I pre-stretch). However, I do a slow pull back on my machine and double clamp the strings. I plan my tension for a slight reduction... what i mean is that I set my machine on say 62lbs and string... then, I let the frame sit and by 24 hours any natural stretch occurs and I settle in a bit lower.

So, my effective tension is around 58 or 59... X-1 is really good at tension maintenance... and I only notice a bout 2-3 lbs of initial loss.

I use X-1 due to the feel and the playability... I'm not as concerned about durability... I'm okay to buy and restring... but that's me.

jjordache
04-09-2008, 08:44 AM
by CAP I meant the FLAT plastic on top not the actual holes

That's what I looked at, top to bottom, and it looks OK from the outside... I'll have my stringer look at it next time around.

By the way, found a better way to describe "the sound" ... is more like crunching, you know like when you adjust freshly strung strings... Only that it happens when I hit the ball.

jjordache
04-09-2008, 08:49 AM
No, never (Nat Gut is only string I pre-stretch). However, I do a slow pull back on my machine and double clamp the strings. I plan my tension for a slight reduction... what i mean is that I set my machine on say 62lbs and string... then, I let the frame sit and by 24 hours any natural stretch occurs and I settle in a bit lower.

So, my effective tension is around 58 or 59... X-1 is really good at tension maintenance... and I only notice a bout 2-3 lbs of initial loss.

I use X-1 due to the feel and the playability... I'm not as concerned about durability... I'm okay to buy and restring... but that's me.

Thanks for the reply Bubba. I really like how the X-one plays so probably I'll give it another try, but I'll have it around 60-62lbs.

(w00t ! I can edit messages now :))

doctor dennis
04-09-2008, 08:51 AM
I'm not a string breaker at all! That's why I'm moving from 16 gauge to 17.
It is a bit of a trampoline at 55 on my ~95sq.in frame. What frame size do you use ? I'm thinking about having it at 60lbs next too.

Other than the sound I like it very much so far. I was surprised with the access to spin, I didn't expect so much spin with a tight string pattern.

I have 2 RDS 003`s. I wont get to play with my newly strung racket till sunday. I`m interested in how long its going to last me now with the higher tension. I wonder if it will play much different too, as i have only really played with strings at 57lbs.

jjordache
04-09-2008, 09:03 AM
I have 2 RDS 003`s. I wont get to play with my newly strung racket till sunday. I`m interested in how long its going to last me now with the higher tension. I wonder if it will play much different too, as i have only really played with strings at 57lbs.

Nice... I liked the RDS003 a lot !! It was a top candidate for my switch, but I ended up with the KBT and then the Prestige mid+ because they are a tad heavier.

bholloway
04-14-2008, 06:03 PM
I don't know what other strings you use but it might be the racket. I have had buzzing in both my microgels and flexpoints regardless of what strings I use in them. I have had to send the back to head where I get them replaced. So you might want to look into that.

TennisNinja
04-14-2008, 07:50 PM
I used X-One and never had the problems you have described (Loved it too). NRG2 is also a good string to try. It's pretty similar to X-One but I like it a lot too. Give it a shot.

ledor
04-14-2008, 07:57 PM
X-One (17g) is a great string next to Natural Gut, for me. The only problem I've had with it is the initial break in period, a bit stiff. Other than that, I love it as much as the previous posters who say they loved it.

jjordache
04-16-2008, 10:50 AM
OK, so I took the X-1 out in the end, it was way to springy for my liking at 55... I was hitting everything long. Now I have it strung with Pro Supex Maxim Touch at 60lbs and it's much much better... no vibrations or crunching whatsoever.
The frame seems to be ok, I think what I experienced before was a combination of the soft, springy X-one not being prestretched and strung at a lowish tension.
Thanks all for your feedback, overall I liked the X-one and will probably give it another try at one point.