PDA

View Full Version : David Ferrer... what's going?!?!

l_gonzalez
04-08-2008, 02:03 AM
As we know, David played some awesome tennis towards the end of last year, Tokyo title, semis at US Open and then final at Masters. He started 2008 with a surprise loss to Benneteau in Auckland where he was defending his title but then seemed to recover his form at the Aussie Open, losing to eventual champ Djokovic.

Since then he's 4-4. Straight sets loses to Mischa Zverev and Thomas Johansson along the way, as well as a gruelling 3 tie-break sets loss to Hyung-Taik Lee.

Is this just a blip or a sign of something more serious?

93sq.
04-08-2008, 03:24 AM
He reach good results only because of his athletical attitude...

A period of weakness can happen...

crawl4
04-08-2008, 03:27 AM
yeh i haven't seen a lot of him in the masters and ive been wondering why. he better pick it up before andy passes him

beedlejuice22
04-08-2008, 03:33 AM
i think that period last fall was just a blip of amazing tennis. people dont usually climb up the rankings that fast and stay there for too long.

Ocean Drive
04-08-2008, 05:40 AM
He won't be a consistent top 10er for years to come, I doubt his style will hold up long enough.

riggy 69
04-08-2008, 06:12 AM
with the amount of running he does..he's bound to have a flat spot

l_gonzalez
04-08-2008, 06:29 AM
He's in the Davis Cup squad so it'll be interesting to see if they play him or not.

zagor
04-08-2008, 06:45 AM
I barely got to watch him this year on TV but from what little I saw I was under the impression that his forehand isn't as big of a weapon as it was last year.

Jimmyk459
04-08-2008, 06:45 AM
he'll be back...don't worry

tenis
04-08-2008, 03:14 PM
I saw him in Indian Wells, he was practising harder than anybody else for all 3 weeks...

TheTruth
04-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Ferrer reminds me of a guy who can get a lot of balls back, but doesn't really have that strong of a game. I think a lot of his fierce doggedness came as a result of him beating Nadal a couple of times last year. Then, they started talking about him like he was so good, but to me David's lack is in his competitive drive. Considering him and Nadal are friends he may not be intimidated, but he seems to rarely win the big matches. Doesn't seem to have the mental fortitude!

daddy
04-08-2008, 05:40 PM
I feel he maxed out during the last year. He said it himself, he never really thought he can be near the top in tennis and he is a fairly short guy. I hope he proves me wrong but his slump in form is spectacular this year. It seems he is losing ground quickly.

TheTruth
04-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Reminds me a lot of Rainer Schuettler. His game. His attitude. His rise, was but for a season!

35ft6
04-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Ferrer reminds me of a guy who can get a lot of balls back, but doesn't really have that strong of a game.He's got really potent strokes for his size IMO. But you're right that his game is greatly predicated on movement, and he might just simply still be leg tired from his run last season.

Alexandros
04-08-2008, 06:42 PM
He was playing well above his level through last year. This is just a return to his regular form.

jmsx521
04-08-2008, 06:57 PM
...Benneteau in Auckland ... Mischa Zverev and Thomas Johansson...I watched him in Miami practice courts. He was playing more like 40, not 4 in the world. By the way Benneteau can play some great tennis once in a while. Also I wouldn't consider a loss to Johansson an upset. Do you even know who Thomas Johansson is and for how many years he's maintained that solid performance... the guy had work on his eye, yet he's still back on the top!? Ferrer is yet to make the accomplishments of Johansson, so I don't consider a loss to him an upset!

edmondsm
04-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Wait till the clay. I know he's had some great results on hardcourts, but the clay is his natural surface. He was the hot player for a while, now he's back down on planet earth. I bet he has some nice outings on the red stuff.

bluetrain4
04-08-2008, 07:09 PM
I'm guessing he settles comfortably between No. 9 and No. 20, and still has good results and occasionally great results. I think it's a bit much to expect him to continue like he was playing at the end of last year.

tenis
04-08-2008, 07:12 PM
For sure, he will make some damage at Paris!

callitout
04-08-2008, 07:37 PM
David's lack is in his competitive drive.... Doesn't seem to have the mental fortitude!

Something like the Opposite of this is exactly right.
He's about as tough mentally as anybody on tour.
Clearly he lacks the serve to win lots of matches easily, and he may be a bit tired now. But he's mentally about the best out there over the past year. He gets about the most out of his little frame, using incredible fitness and footwork to get huge pop off the ground.

jmsx521
04-08-2008, 09:36 PM
actually, i am injured right now. will be out for couple of weeks, then will look to head to our city tournament and possibly the nationals in a couple of weeks.I thought you were from Spain... weren't you!?

edmondsm
04-08-2008, 09:38 PM
I thought you were from Spain... weren't you!?

Nope evidentally he's from Mozambique. Who knew?

(FEDERER)vs(NADAL)
04-09-2008, 12:21 AM
As we know, David played some awesome tennis towards the end of last year, Tokyo title, semis at US Open and then final at Masters. He started 2008 with a surprise loss to Benneteau in Auckland where he was defending his title but then seemed to recover his form at the Aussie Open, losing to eventual champ Djokovic.

Since then he's 4-4. Straight sets loses to Mischa Zverev and Thomas Johansson along the way, as well as a gruelling 3 tie-break sets loss to Hyung-Taik Lee.

Is this just a blip or a sign of something more serious?

a perfect example of how players can lose their form for a shortperiod of time (just like fed), he will be back in the top ten by the end of the year!

l_gonzalez
04-09-2008, 12:44 AM
I watched him in Miami practice courts. He was playing more like 40, not 4 in the world. By the way Benneteau can play some great tennis once in a while. Also I wouldn't consider a loss to Johansson an upset. Do you even know who Thomas Johansson is and for how many years he's maintained that solid performance... the guy had work on his eye, yet he's still back on the top!? Ferrer is yet to make the accomplishments of Johansson, so I don't consider a loss to him an upset!

I agree about Benneteau, saw him play some very nice matches at Wimbledon a coupe of years ago, but Ferrer should still beat him.

I wouldn't comment on the Johnasson match if i didn't know what i was on about and i didn't have my reasons, so don't try to insult me by saying i don't know who he is... at 33 years old and not having won a title since '05 and having a 2-0 H2H against Johansson (straight sets on clay and 4 sets at Aussie Open '07) and given Ferrer's form at the end of last year, I would most definitely consider that loss an upset.

Yes Johansson has achieved more than Ferrer during his career, but given their respective points in their careers Ferrer had to be the favourite for that match.

l_gonzalez
04-09-2008, 01:00 AM
I suck. (10char)

Still convinced you're the worst player in the top 100?

janipyt05
04-09-2008, 04:49 AM
Ever thought that getting to where he has was firstly unexpected and now to sustain it is a little harder than he would expect, the rise is always easier than the maintaining, not everyone can reproduce great performances from the year before and or defend titles. It is also possible that he is tired mentally and keeping it up in 08 is tough on him, i would expect him to pick up mid season but by then it could a little to late ranking wise

l_gonzalez
04-09-2008, 04:59 AM
....to sustain it is a little harder than he would expect, the rise is always easier than the maintaining, not everyone can reproduce great performances from the year before and or defend titles....

Very good point.