PDA

View Full Version : can federer/nadal be co No. 1 for a week or longer

makhan10
04-08-2008, 05:07 AM
lets says both fed/nadal have 6300 ATP points at the same time in history for a week or longer

Nadal_Monfils
04-08-2008, 06:12 AM
That'd be interesting. I wonder how they would make the draws if that were to happen.

zagor
04-08-2008, 07:08 AM
Interesting possibility,I never thought about that really.

oberyn
04-08-2008, 07:26 AM
That'd be interesting. I wonder how they would make the draws if that were to happen.

When Monica Seles returned from her stabbing, she and Steffi Graf were co-ranked #1 for a certain time period.

I forgot how the draws were handled, but it wouldn't be too difficult to work out some kind of an alternate week or alternate tournament system.

Although I'm sure it's mathematically possible, I don't know if it's ever happened "naturally".

PROTENNIS63
04-08-2008, 08:11 AM
Fed would still be number 1. The ATP is just going to say who has been number 1 longer. That is an easy question.

luckyboy1300
04-08-2008, 08:21 AM
Fed would still be number 1. The ATP is just going to say who has been number 1 longer. That is an easy question.

i don't think so. if their ranking points get equalled, which is somehow possible, then why not award nadal the co number 1 rank?

vive le beau jeu !
04-08-2008, 08:54 AM
there are already special rules for ties as regards the amount of ATP points. ;)
C. Ties. When two or more players have the same total number of points, ties shall be broken as follows:

1) the most total points from the Grand Slams, ATP Masters Series Tournaments and Tennis Masters Cup main draws, and if still tied, then,
2) the fewest events played, counting all missed Grand Slams, ATP Masters Series Tournaments and Tennis Masters Cup they could have played (as described under 1.above) as if played, and if still tied, then,
3) the highest number of points from one single Tournament, then, if needed, the second highest, and so on.
(from the ATP 2008 rulebook)

BallzofSkill
04-08-2008, 09:07 AM
there are already special rules for ties as regards the amount of ATP points. ;)
(from the ATP 2008 rulebook)

what if it was the same for both players? 2 slams each, 2 titles each, etc.

vive le beau jeu !
04-08-2008, 09:22 AM
what if it was the same for both players? 2 slams each, 2 titles each, etc.
it's not specified in the rulebook, so i guess it would be a tie... and for deciding of the seeds, they would have to take a decision based on something else... an improvisation ! ;)
(but if it's two #1 seeds... that's not a big pb... if it's between #2 and #3, that's more delicate)

but it's statistically very unprobable to have two co-#1 with exactly the same "pattern" of points !
... although it happens with small amounts of points in the trouble waters of the ATP rankings, of course :
http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/rankings/entrysystem/default.asp?showall=0&RankDate=4%2F7%2F2008&country=&rank=1501&image1.x=15&image1.y=12

Raoul_Duke
04-08-2008, 09:41 AM
I've read something like this: if two top players have equal points, the third ranked will be on top ...

Or something like that :D

Moose Malloy
04-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Wimbledon gave both Martina & Chris #1 seeds at '85 Wimbledon. There was no #2 in that draw(just gave the next highest ranked player the #3 seed), so it didn't really change the way the draw was made