PDA

View Full Version : Djokovic's forehand grip?

tennisadd1ct
04-08-2008, 07:16 AM
I can't really tell but I'm thinking it's a Western.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/data?pid=avimage&iid=iQrhp2qVbyUU

AznHylite
04-08-2008, 07:19 AM
Yup, you're 100% right.

Djokovicfan4life
04-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Really? He seems to hit pretty flat strokes for a western grip.

el sergento
04-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Really? He seems to hit pretty flat strokes for a western grip.

Nah, there's alot of spin on his ball, that's why he can hit deep and keep it in. It's not quite as down-to-up loopy spin like Nadal but he hits over the ball with good bite.

tennisadd1ct
04-08-2008, 03:33 PM
K thanks guys.

J-man
04-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Really? He seems to hit pretty flat strokes for a western grip.Lots of spin there for sure. You just can't tell from TV.

A.Davidson
04-08-2008, 04:26 PM
That picture cracks me up for some reason...maybe because it looks like he's a Sith trying to summon Force Lightning with his off-hand.

Go Nole!

jmsx521
04-08-2008, 07:11 PM
I've watched him up-close on the practice court, and his ball is not too far up from the net. He seems to hit pretty heavy, deep and seemingly flat... or at least with a little spin. I don't understand quite well how do you hold the racket with a Western grip, yet hit flat!?

Djokovicfan4life
04-08-2008, 07:32 PM
I've watched him up-close on the practice court, and his ball is not too far up from the net. He seems to hit pretty heavy, deep and seemingly flat... or at least with a little spin. I don't understand quite well how do you hold the racket with a Western grip, yet hit flat!?

Sanya Mirza pulls it off, but not without her share of injuries.

crawl4
04-08-2008, 11:20 PM
i wonder if he would hit it harder with an eastern grip :idea:

Sentinel
04-08-2008, 11:29 PM
jms, it's very possible to hit flat with a W grip.

I have experimented with a W grip and hit flat - I did this after watching Kohl flattening the ball with a W, in closeup/ slo motion.

Most of the youngsters growing up where I am are using the W grip, it looks abso ugly ! Most of the guys on the Challenger circuit I see, also use the W. And Babolats ;-(

Djokovicfan4life
04-09-2008, 05:23 AM

I have experimented with a W grip and hit flat - I did this after watching Kohl flattening the ball with a W, in closeup/ slo motion.

Most of the youngsters growing up where I am are using the W grip, it looks abso ugly ! Most of the guys on the Challenger circuit I see, also use the W. And Babolats ;-(

I don't know how anyone picks up a racquet like that and thinks, "This must be the correct way to hold a racquet". Even semi-western did NOT come naturally to me, I had to put in some work before I got used to it.

Djokovicfan4life
04-09-2008, 05:24 AM
That picture would make a great avatar, but I can't figure out how to do it (I'm not good with that kind of stuff).

lainey80
04-09-2008, 07:58 AM
That picture would make a great avatar, but I can't figure out how to do it (I'm not good with that kind of stuff).

All you need to do right click, 'save image as' and put the image on your desktop or in a folder (whatever is easiest for you), then go to 'user CP', it's at the left on the screen. Click on User CP and find where it says change avatar. Go to browse, then find it on your computer, save the changes, and Voila! you have an avatar!

I also wrote you a longer version, since at first I was replying to 'what to do' if you want to put an image on this thread. So, here ya go..:)

Here's what I do... right click on mouse and go to 'save as' on the image.
Then put it somewhere in your computer where ever you store pictures, either on your desktop or in a folder.
Next, sign up for photobucket. After you sign up, and sign in, go to your page or your album, and click on browse, then it will allow you to decide what picture you want to pick. So, choose the one of your choice (the one you just copied of Novak), then click on 'upload'.
Then your picture is copied on 'your album'. Next, copy the IMG Code (the one at the very bottom).
Then, come back to whatever tennis talk thread you want to reply to, click on 'reply to thread' (as usual), and then look for the little 'globe like' image (it's directly under the smiley face image) click on that, this is to insert the link.
Then, insert the link you just copied from photobucket, and Voila!

You my friend, have just posted an image!

TennisProdigy
04-09-2008, 08:46 AM
He is not hitting flat with the western grip, the ball is still rotating a ton. He is simply hitting over the top of the ball to generate a driving topspin shot rather than a looping topspin shot.

Djokovicfan4life
04-09-2008, 10:34 AM
All you need to do right click, 'save image as' and put the image on your desktop or in a folder (whatever is easiest for you), then go to 'user CP', it's at the left on the screen. Click on User CP and find where it says change avatar. Go to browse, then find it on your computer, save the changes, and Voila! you have an avatar!

I also wrote you a longer version, since at first I was replying to 'what to do' if you want to put an image on this thread. So, here ya go..:)

Here's what I do... right click on mouse and go to 'save as' on the image.
Then put it somewhere in your computer where ever you store pictures, either on your desktop or in a folder.
Next, sign up for photobucket. After you sign up, and sign in, go to your page or your album, and click on browse, then it will allow you to decide what picture you want to pick. So, choose the one of your choice (the one you just copied of Novak), then click on 'upload'.
Then your picture is copied on 'your album'. Next, copy the IMG Code (the one at the very bottom).
Then, come back to whatever tennis talk thread you want to reply to, click on 'reply to thread' (as usual), and then look for the little 'globe like' image (it's directly under the smiley face image) click on that, this is to insert the link.
Then, insert the link you just copied from photobucket, and Voila!

You my friend, have just posted an image!

Thanks a lot!

seb85
04-09-2008, 10:42 AM
I don't know how anyone picks up a racquet like that and thinks, "This must be the correct way to hold a racquet". Even semi-western did NOT come naturally to me, I had to put in some work before I got used to it.

When your 4,5,6,7 years old and every ball is at your head height, its comes pretty naturally!

Djokovicfan4life
04-09-2008, 11:04 AM
When your 4,5,6,7 years old and every ball is at your head height, its comes pretty naturally!

So you learned with a full Western grip naturally?

seb85
04-09-2008, 11:10 AM
yeah, well, i started with semi-western, then it went around to western after a few years- especially after some training on the dirt in spain... Recently i've moved back to semi-western because of having some injury troubles (as you have probably noticed from my videos...)

NamRanger
04-09-2008, 11:35 AM

Djokovic drives through the ball more then most Western grip players, hits on the rise, and goes across his body instead of a more extreme windshield wiper motion.

jmsx521
04-09-2008, 12:00 PM
I am trying those Western flat shots today.

lainey80
04-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Djokovicfan4life, You're welcome; the avatar looks good:)

tennisadd1ct
04-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Thanks again guys :P

Djokovicfan4life
04-10-2008, 04:40 PM
WTF! Three Djokovic avatars in one thread? :shock:

And side by side to boot!

BkK_b0y14
04-10-2008, 04:59 PM

he uses the same grip he uses to......
Just look at his face, it explains everything.

/sarcasm

geesechops
04-10-2008, 07:56 PM

I started playing as an adult so maybe thats why I use a Federer type Eastern/Semi Western grip? hmmm

dangit
04-10-2008, 08:15 PM
That picture cracks me up for some reason...maybe because it looks like he's a Sith trying to summon Force Lightning with his off-hand.

Go Nole!

haha yea it actually does!! didn't notice till you pointed it out:)

yellowoctopus
04-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Djokovic drives through the ball more then most Western grip players, hits on the rise, and goes across his body instead of a more extreme windshield wiper motion.

This is true; great observation!

I sense that he still has to develop more variety on this forehand; I'm not sure if having a western grip will work to his advantage on this. He might have to vary the grip a bit to add variety. This issue with the western grip might also plays a role on how far he can develop his net game (not too many great vollyers with western grip)--again, he might have to vary his grip.

That said, varying grip is not easy to do, especially when you are going from a western grip to perhaps an eastern one (for volley and other purposes).

Then again, Djokovic might not have to add that much variety to his forehand, since his backhand already has lots of variety.

The thing is (I know I'm all over the board with my thoughts, but hang with me just a moment, I'm almost done), a western forehand grip requires one to be behind the ball to hit the ball solidly, even more so when trying to hit cross-court--This is exhausting, just ask Nadal. I noticed that currently this is one of Djokovic's few subtle weaknesses (there are others).

kabob
04-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Yeah, definitely an open-stance, fully-western grip on his forehand side.

http://asapblogs.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/06/06/novak_djokovic.jpg

AlpineCadet
05-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Screech plays tennis?

oy vey
05-30-2008, 07:18 PM
I can't find on user CP where it says change avatar? I'm new and don't even have one yet. thanks

Control Panel
Settings & Options
Edit Signature
Edit Email & Password
Edit Profile
Edit Options
Subscribed Threads
Folders
Subscriptions

List Subscriptions
Edit Folders
Miscellaneous
Event Reminders
Buddy / Ignore Lists

Serpententacle
05-30-2008, 07:25 PM

Go Nole!

So true. Good spot.

ferrytran
02-06-2011, 03:49 AM
i always heard djokovic hits flat. and its almost impossible to hit no spin with a western grip. i remember him saying it himself that he hits flat.

Synesthetic
02-06-2011, 03:53 AM
It's definitely a full western grip, look at this:

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/74/38725365.jpg

1970CRBase
02-06-2011, 03:58 AM
Clijsters hits similar style fh doesn't she?

Clay lover
02-06-2011, 04:10 AM
I am one of the people who believe that different people have different "natural" grips to prefer to hit flat with because the way their bodies and arms are built, and the way they were taught to hit the ball when they were young. Modern tennis places great emphasis on open stances and angular momentum, and I think most people actually find it easier to hit flatter balls with more extreme grips if they utilize this technique. An eastern forehand with open stance style trunk rotation just seems weird to me, the wrist has to be laid back A LOT. Just my opinion.

Mack-2
02-06-2011, 07:01 AM
I never knew he uses a Western grip. Always thought it was a semi-western

Tennis sensation
02-06-2011, 07:30 AM
It;s a Western grip...

Tennis sensation
02-06-2011, 07:30 AM

Cool pic....

Bud
02-06-2011, 08:22 AM

It's different for everyone. The first time I picked up a racquet the most comfortable FH grip for me was SW.

mental midget
02-06-2011, 04:55 PM
It's different for everyone. The first time I picked up a racquet the most comfortable FH grip for me was SW.

same here, sw and a lot of topspin from the get-go. had a coach hell-bent on converting me to eastern in my early teens, really screwed up my game for about a year.

yellowoctopus
02-07-2011, 09:10 AM

I agree; it just takes a little more effort to do it.

Also, one has to remember that topspin is more dependent on the swing path through the ball rather than just the grip alone. And yes, certain grips can be more conducive to generating certain swing path than others--results may vary according to the individual. Players with western grip, although generally more likely to create more topspin-friendly swing path, can generate relatively 'flatter' shots by flattening their swing path, less low-to-high.

http://www.physicaleducationupdate.com/public/images/670.jpg

Fugazi
02-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Western is a very natural grip for kids, because it's suitable for high balls, and nearly every ball is high for a kid... So Novak probably started with a western grip (or got it as soon as he started using topspin), and simply never changed it.