PDA

View Full Version : surge protector for stringing machine?

awsskater
03-23-2004, 05:28 PM
Would using a surge protector for my e.stringer make it always pull the same tension when set at a tension? Depending on the day it pulls either the right for other players on my tennis team) I can never make the tension very close to where I want it. If a surge protector won't work is there anything else that would?

Jerry Seinfeld
03-24-2004, 03:31 AM
Interesting question, but I can;t see how a surge protector can help a machine pull consistent tension...is this some sort of new math logic???

Sounds like the machine needs to be calibrated. Or there is some defect in the board. Try contacting the manufacturer or posting more specifics as to the type of machine in this forum. There are many good users here who are willing to share their experiences and expertise with you.

Good luck.

Gaines Hillix
03-24-2004, 04:15 AM
A surge protector will not regulate the voltage, AFAIK. They only protect against drops or surges in power. A UPS/battery backup system with a voltage regulator might do the trick, but these are relatively expensive. Models designed for PCs are around $75 or more. However, I can't imagine that the power fluctuates so much that it effects the pull tension of the machine. I would contact Silent Partner for their advice also.

awsskater
03-24-2004, 04:43 PM
yeah I emailed silent partner and they said that it was not the machines fault and that it was because of the voltage difference day to day from the power company. I was jsut wondering what I could use, and I wnated to know if something like a surge protector would work, but you guys say it wouldn't. Anything else that would work besides the 75 dollar one?

Deuce
03-24-2004, 11:53 PM
Another reason I prefer gravity - it's more consistent.

Gaines Hillix
03-25-2004, 09:38 AM
awsskater, sorry, a regular surge protector will not work and the only thing I now of that might is a battery backup system with a built in voltage regulator.

Jerry Seinfeld
03-25-2004, 11:12 AM
Silent Partner said WHAT???? Maybe I'm off base, but that does not sound like a reasonable or acceptable answer to me. In my opinion this is a problem with the machine, not because of voltage variations. That sounds like a load of hooey to me. Call them back and ask to talk to a manager. I fear something is wrong with your machine. They need to stand behind their product and make it right. Blaming the power company is NOT an accepatable response. Plus it makes no sense!!!!

awsskater
03-25-2004, 12:37 PM
yeah don't ask me why they gave that reason, and I already realized the surge protector wouldn't work after you first post Gaines. I guess i will call them up soon and ask them.

drop shot
03-26-2004, 09:35 PM
Sometimes in older houses with older electrical systems their seems to be a "load" when an appliance is used. This might be a factor. I am not sure about the power company answer though. It almost sounds too absurd to be made up! A surge protector might not be a bad idea however if you plan to leave the stringer plugged up when not using it. Or if you live in an area where there are frequent lightening storms. Better to be safe than sorry.