PDA

View Full Version : Federers's string cost per 5 set match !!!

phamster
04-08-2008, 08:11 AM
Ok..

we all know he switchs to a new racket every 7 games.. so..

in a tight 6-4, 4-6, 7-6, 5-7, 6-4 match - (50 - 64) games / 7 games each switch = about 9 rackets !!!!

each racket is premium strung right? half gut and half lux. lets say 40 bucks to do.. so...

9 X 40 bucks = 360 dollars !!! wow.. 1/3 of a grand per match in cost for racket if it is a long match !!!! crazy..

and during his practices i am sure he does the same thing, about every 20 mins he switches off to a new racket?

must be nice to be number one (maybe not for long) but that is cool and crazy to be that percise with the equiptment!

do you think wilson does the stringing for him? or is it his dime?

phamster

Big-Serve
04-08-2008, 08:13 AM
he has personal stringer

nickb
04-08-2008, 08:13 AM
He will get the string for free or at a very reduced rate (im not sure).

He will pay for the stringing labour..

Nick

christo
04-08-2008, 08:14 AM
I've never seen a match that went 6 sets. What tourney is it?

YULitle
04-08-2008, 08:15 AM
Think about over a tournament with 8 or so matches. It adds up quick.

christo
04-08-2008, 08:16 AM
Wilson should string for Davydenko, 1 racquet per match

String|Guru
04-08-2008, 08:17 AM
He will get the string for free or at a very reduced rate (im not sure).

He will pay for the stringing labour..

Nick

He is not paying for the string, and he contracts out Nate Furguson (P-1 Stringing).

flash9
04-08-2008, 08:20 AM

I was thinking the same thing.

I am sure as part of his sponsorship he gets free Wilson (VS) Natural Gut and LUX string. All he has to pay is the stringing fees.

phamster
04-08-2008, 08:32 AM

oops... that is the new master series.. if it goes 6 then it is a tie..

sorry man.. i should have deleted that last set.. thought i did..

phamster

PROTENNIS63
04-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Her maybe pays Wilson's price for the natural gut... or maybe he gets it free. I am sure he gets the Lux for free.

supermario343
04-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Anyway he does it...hes got the $ to pay for anything lol...freaken stud :-P

YULitle
04-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Her maybe pays Wilson's price for the natural gut... or maybe he gets it free. I am sure he gets the Lux for free.

I would think the opposite. He has a sponsorship with Wilson, not Lux. And while Lux is part of Wilson now, Lux has often touted NOT ONLY how many players use it (hybrid or full) and that they have to pay for it.

Mr. Blond
04-08-2008, 08:48 AM
I would guess that he probably is sponsored by both and gets an allowance as in any other sponsorship. The fact that he is world number one probably does not hurt. Even if he is paying for it...when you consider what the check is for winning a tourney, it is a fraction of what he is making just in prize money.

ThePro101
04-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Ok..

we all know he switchs to a new racket every 7 games.. so..

phamster

I thought that he changed frames with every ball change - after the first 7 games, and then after every 9th game...

still a lot of $$$

Rabbit
04-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Think about over a tournament with 8 or so matches. It adds up quick.

Which tournament(s) go 8 matches? Grand Slams are only 7!

YULitle
04-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Which tournament(s) go 8 matches? Grand Slams are only 7!

Oh yeah, I guess I was thinking of the three weeks. I'll bet it's been a while since he's played all three.... :oops:

That and it was a guess. :D

PROTENNIS63
04-08-2008, 09:08 AM
I would think the opposite. He has a sponsorship with Wilson, not Lux. And while Lux is part of Wilson now, Lux has often touted NOT ONLY how many players use it (hybrid or full) and that they have to pay for it.

Yeah but polyester is much cheaper than gut. You can't even compare. Fed is the best player anyways so I am sure he gets Lux for free.

YULitle
04-08-2008, 09:13 AM
I am sure he gets Lux for free.

Again, I have to stress, that Lux TOUTS that the players that use their string have to pay for it.

It has nothing to do with price.

I'm not saying that he does. I would just be surprised is all.

fastdunn
04-08-2008, 09:15 AM

That's probably the case for top pros. I've heard guys like Becker consumed $20-30K "worth" of natural guts per year. Sampras too.

YULitle
04-08-2008, 09:20 AM
QUOTE from Luxilons site:
"ALL pro players who do not have a sponsorship contract pay for their string."

So, does Federer's contract with Wilson include Luxilon. I'm starting to lean towards yes.

Must be nice.

I wonder if anyone here knows for certain?

iplaybetter
04-08-2008, 09:22 AM
Again, I have to stress, that Lux TOUTS that the players that use their string have to pay for it.

no, some of their play do

Mr. Blond
04-08-2008, 09:24 AM
QUOTE from Luxilons site:
"ALL pro players who do not have a sponsorship contract pay for their string."

So, does Federer's contract with Wilson include Luxilon. I'm starting to lean towards yes.

Must be nice.

I wonder if anyone here knows for certain?

It seems to me that if he were getting the string for free he would double stencil as part of his contract. I am just speculating though because not many pros double stencil these days.

YULitle
04-08-2008, 09:26 AM
It seems to me that if he were getting the string for free he would double stencil as part of his contract. I am just speculating though because not many pros double stencil these days.

That's what I thought. But, something else on the Lux web site suggests that players can't do that anymore. I haven't had cable so I've been missing these matches. Can anyone validate that? Here's the quote:

"The players are now required to not have a 2nd logo on their strings."

iplaybetter
04-08-2008, 09:26 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^
correct on the policy as i understand it

YULitle
04-08-2008, 09:27 AM
no, some of their play do

What? (10 char.)

iplaybetter
04-08-2008, 09:29 AM
What? (10 char.)

many of the players on tour who use there stuff pay but those sponsored to not

Bubba
04-08-2008, 09:32 AM
I thought that he changed frames with every ball change - after the first 7 games, and then after every 9th game...

still a lot of $$$

He switches his frames with ball change overs. Additionally, he's contracted Priority-1 at their premium level for personal stringing - it's a set annual contract. But you can assume he's paying them $100k a year at least for that level of service x that many frames. His string is fully sponsored under his contract with Wilson.

He's the #1 player in the world, with a good sponsorship from Wilson, but a far better one from Nike. His event earnings, Like Tiger's, are no where near what he gets from his Nike deal... His tour winnings are 'icing on the cake'...

So, yes, if you or I followed the same pattern we would be broke - but we don't play 30+ frames and 4+ hours each day.

Oh, by the way. According to Nate from Priority1, Fed uses the left over match frames from the previous day for his practice sessions. He doesn't use a frame in a match that hasn't been strung specifically for that day's match.

Rabbit
04-08-2008, 09:33 AM

I think you're incorrect on your first statement. Luxilon did used to report that Agassi paid for his string, but that was his preference not theirs.

From the Luxilon website under the FAQs:

Q: "How can I be sponsored by Luxilon and receive free string?"

A: If you are a WTA or ATP professional player ranked in the top 500 in the world, you can contact the Wilson/Luxilon tour team to discuss sponsorship contracts. Beyond this group, sponsorship programs (if they exist), are administered with in (sic) your country by the Wilson/Luxilon team. Sponsorship details vary by market. Contact Wilson in your country to inquire if a program exists and if you are eligible.

Pretty much any player with a Luxilon stencil on their stringbed is a sponsored player getting his/her string for free. I would venture to say that a player like Carlos Moya who uses a Babolat frame and Luxilon string is also getting his string for free, particularly since he was one of the first Luxilon players to make it big.

YULitle
04-08-2008, 09:35 AM
^^^^ You should look lower. It says that players that are not sponsored by Luxilon pay for their strings. So yes, if they have a logo, I'm sure they are getting it for free. Otherwise, probably not.

downey stringing master
04-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Priority One do feds rackets and safins.. few others.. hence the P1 on the poly bags?

hyogen
04-08-2008, 12:12 PM
wow, you joined almost in 2007 and you have a HUGE signature?!?!

Pro's don't have a single dedicated stringer that travels with them right? I guess companies like Priority One travels to each tournament and have several pros they string for..

downey stringing master
04-08-2008, 12:16 PM
the same guy.. strings for them i would think on the same machine.. i would say

TennisNewbie85
04-08-2008, 12:18 PM
100,000+ for a contract with a stringer? if i was federer, id chose my best friend that i normally play tennis with. train his butt to become a world class stringer and bring him along with me on tour.

YULitle
04-08-2008, 12:47 PM
wow, you joined almost in 2007 and you have a HUGE signature?!?!

Pro's don't have a single dedicated stringer that travels with them right? I guess companies like Priority One travels to each tournament and have several pros they string for..

I read somewhere that Sampras did. It was a while ago though and I could be mistaken.

TennezSport
04-08-2008, 01:53 PM
The whole string issue was settled when Wilson created Champions Choice (which is Wilson gut[Bab VS] and Lux AluR). Since Fed is a lifetime ambasador for Wilson, he gets his racquets and string for free, plus a salary bump for advertizing. He pays Nate and company at P1 to string and deliver his racquets.

TennezSport :cool:

miniRafa386
04-08-2008, 03:14 PM
considering he has 12 major titles, probably going to be the best player ever, im pretty sure he gets all of his equipment for free.

Rabbit
04-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Sampras has had more than one stringer traveling with him. The last was Nate Fergueson who strung for Sampras.

Bubba
04-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Sampras has had more than one stringer traveling with him. The last was Nate Fergueson who strung for Sampras.

??????????

Rabbit
04-09-2008, 06:32 PM
^Sampras had a succession of folks traveling with him, not more than one at a time.

Zhou
04-09-2008, 06:38 PM
I was watching a Davis Cup match and I believe I saw Melzer with both the Luxilon and Head logos.

knasty131
04-09-2008, 06:39 PM
come on guys...federer does NOT pay for his strings, only for labor...this is crazy, some people on this board are sponsored or have been offered some compensation for their strings, SURELY federer, the #1 player in the world, does not pay for his strings...

phamster
04-09-2008, 08:52 PM
come on guys...federer does NOT pay for his strings, only for labor...this is crazy, some people on this board are sponsored or have been offered some compensation for their strings, SURELY federer, the #1 player in the world, does not pay for his strings...

you are probably right.. possibly all top 50 players don't pay a dime for their strings... heck college players don't pay for their strings..

i was and should have started this post and titled it..

"The Retail cost of Fed's strings and labor if he had to pay for it..per 5 set match "

i guess the point is he changes to a different frame so much that i can't compare with myself or other pro's..

anybody else know of a Pro that switch out rackets every 7-9 games?

phamster

JW10S
04-09-2008, 09:01 PM
anybody else know of a Pro that switch out rackets every 7-9 games? It's a much more common practice than you think. Lendl started doing it 20 yrs ago. Federer is not unique in this regard.

TennisNewbie85
04-09-2008, 09:31 PM
could this be the reason why ive been playing so atraciously? b/c i cant afford to switch rackets every 7-9 games? is it my financial situation thats keeping me from becoming the world class tennis player that i truely am?

TennisNewbie85
04-09-2008, 09:32 PM
atrociously*

uk_skippy
04-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Wilson should string for Davydenko, 1 racquet per match

Amazingly Davydenko probably either leads or is near the top of the number of rqts he has strung per tourney. He has loads done. At Wimbledon he was having about 3 to 4 rtqs done a day even when he wasn't playing a match.

Regards

Paul

benne
04-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Do you understand how much money he makes/has. Look at a Gillette commercial. Or maybe a Rolex one. Or possibly a Nike or wilson ad? He's set for at least a grand a match without caring.

benne
04-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Amazingly Davydenko probably either leads or is near the top of the number of rqts he has strung per tourney. He has loads done. At Wimbledon he was having about 3 to 4 rtqs done a day even when he wasn't playing a match.

Regards

Paul

Look at the Sony Ericsson open. He had 1 racquet each match, most likely praying he didn't break a string.

ogruskie
04-13-2008, 12:03 AM
I'm pretty sure Federer has $39,000,000 in his bank right now. A string job for his is spare change.