PDA

View Full Version : Compact swing=more control?

Pet
04-08-2008, 09:32 AM
What do you think?

Bungalo Bill
04-08-2008, 10:05 AM
What do you think?

I think a controlled backswing offers many advantages for all players. I am not a person that believes "shorter" is better. I believe in having a reasonable backswing based on best-practice references and the players ability to hit consistently.

Pet
04-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Caņas for example have a compact swing and is very consistent.

Rickson
04-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Compact swing=more control?
What do you think?

Yeah, when fast balls are coming your way, but on slow to medium paced balls, I'd take a good windup and smack the frak out of that ball.

Short takeback = good for fast balls and not so good for slow balls.

futuretoptenner
04-08-2008, 10:38 AM
I agree, a shorter back swing offers more control. Some aspects that make a stroke more compact and less "long" are simply preference with only aesthetically purposes. I hope that makes sense.

smoothtennis
04-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Yeah, when fast balls are coming your way, but on slow to medium paced balls, I'd take a good windup and smack the frak out of that ball.

Short takeback = good for fast balls and not so good for slow balls.

Yup. *nods head*

Nuke
04-08-2008, 11:15 AM
I think a short backswing is fine if you're a flat hitter, but if you're the type of player who needs topspin for control, then the short backswing may not let you get the headspeed you need for some big topspin.

Golden Retriever
04-08-2008, 11:20 AM
No way, a shorter swing means jerky movement leading to less consistency, unless your name is Agassi.

Pet
04-08-2008, 11:36 AM
I think less movement is better for control, imagine when you hit a nail with a hammer, the more nearby: more easy? no?

seb85
04-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Yes, to a point.

Bungalo Bill
04-08-2008, 11:51 AM
I think less movement is better for control, imagine when you hit a nail with a hammer, the more nearby: more easy? no?

Yeah, but if I have it too close I lose efficiency as I will have to hit the nail a lot more times to accomplish what I am trying to do.

Rickson
04-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Yeah, but if I have it too close I lose effectivness and it will take more effort to accomplish what I am trying to do with the nail.

Leave it to Bill! You hit that nail on the head!

Pet
04-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Yeah, but if I have it too close I lose efficiency as I will have to hit the nail a lot more times to accomplish what I am trying to do.

What you prefer striking several times and putting the nail or giving it one and doubling it? ... is a joke

Bungalo Bill
04-08-2008, 12:01 PM
What you prefer striking several times and putting the nail or giving it one and doubling it? ... is a joke

Lol, had trouble understanding your sentence, but if you say that was a joke, well, it wasn't very funny.

Rickson
04-08-2008, 12:38 PM

Allow me to translate:

What? Do you prefer striking it several times and putting in the nail or giving it one shot and doubling it as in making 2 nails (cracking that nail in half)? ... this is a joke (not a very funny one however)

Rickson
06-05-2008, 11:01 PM
I still believe in a fairly large takeback for most grounstrokes, but compact is good for returning heavy pace.

crash1929
06-05-2008, 11:17 PM
I think this is a great thread. I have really been thinking about this a lot lately. I definatley think there is a point were if you swing back too far you are going to loose consistency. Consistency is more important. I think of McEnroe. I visualize him hitting with what I remember to be a very small back swing. There is something to this idea!

KiNG
06-06-2008, 01:30 AM
Compact swing = More control (False)
Compact swing = Easier to control (True)

jmverdugo
06-06-2008, 05:07 AM
Well I beleive that it will depend to what you are used to. Honestly i think control has more to do with timing and footwork.

rosewall4ever
06-06-2008, 05:36 AM
Shot answer No...Why becasuse you are more or less likely not to hit 'though the ball' - therefore less dwell time along the desired trajecory which makes it less accurate. but what is compact and what is long, both are relative terms aren't they. so then long can then be descirbed by using the whole arm and more of a should rotation that would otherwise be in a compact swing.

mishin900
06-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Compact swing = More control (False)
Compact swing = Easier to control (True)

I agree with this. The only time I use compact backswing (almost no loop) is when I suddenly face a heavy pace shot