PDA

View Full Version : Nadal's forehand could be better?

TennisProdigy
04-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Nadal is a great player, no one would deny that, but he could definitely be a better player by adding a wider variety of shots to his game.

Currently Nadal hits 99% of his forehands reverse where the racquet ends up over his head. This helps him generate tremendous topspin and he can still maintain superb pace due to his strength. However, I think that he should hit at least 20% of his forehands the more conventional way where the racquet ends up around his bicep area. He still does this occasionally and the result is a shot with less margin but with much more pace and more drive. This would allow him to end points quicker and add another shot to his arsenal that his opponents would have to deal with. He hit a conventional forehand earlier in his career but I'm lucky to see him hit 1 every 2 matches he plays now.

sapient007
04-08-2008, 09:05 AM
his game is not to end points quicker.

yourmom08
04-08-2008, 09:56 AM
his game is not to end points quicker.

agreed. There are very few players in the world that can outlast nadal. Think bjorn borg, he was just willing to hit one more shot than his opponents.

TennisProdigy
04-08-2008, 03:03 PM
Maybe that's why he has trouble on hardcourts? I simply think he should add this shot to his arsenal for like passing shots. The more weapons you have the greater the chance you have to win.

TheNatural
04-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Nadal has a phenomenal forehand but I think his racquet limits his shots a bit on hardcourts. His babolat is a bit too hollow feeling, adding lead helps a bit but he will get more pace and penetration on his shots if he used a more solid racquet. He should test drive one of Agassi's.

quest01
04-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Nadal has a phenomenal forehand but I think his racquet limits his shots a bit on hardcourts. His babolat is a bit too hollow feeling, adding lead helps a bit but he will get more pace and penetration on his shots if he used a more solid racquet. He should test drive one of Agassi's.

The Aeropro Drive is one of the most solid racquets on the market in terms of control and spin. Personally I think Nadal's forehand is one of the best on the ATP tour.

Rafael_Nadal_6257
04-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Nadal's forehand is good for HIS game and playing style.

Deciding to use a more conventional forehand would not fit how he plays...Of course, I think he often does use one to finish off a point that has Nadal moving the opponent back and forth 10-20 times around the court. :p

Batoussai
04-08-2008, 03:45 PM
You mean hitting more like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8FoCRbd8bg

futuretoptenner
04-09-2008, 05:49 AM
Nadal has arguably the best forehand on tour at the moment. I doubt it could be any better.

Freedom
04-09-2008, 06:54 AM
Where does the 20% come from? He's #2 in the world playing his style of tennis. Think Santoro- he could probably play a more "conventional" way, but he wins matches because he plays such a different style of tennis.