PDA

View Full Version : What Does “Crisp” Mean?

hoodjem
04-08-2008, 10:34 AM
What Does “Crisp” Mean to You?

To me crisp strings give a pingy sound (sharp, high-pitched twangy or zingy noise) when the ball comes off the stringbed,
and there is good vibrational feedback to the hand and arm at that instant to let you know how well you hit the ball.

To me crisp strings feel lively, so maybe they have a little bit of bite, pop, and feel thrown in. Is this the opposite of dead or muted strings, probably, but also very different from hard or boardy, and also different from mushy.

What do you think of when you think of crisp strings?

YULitle
04-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Crisp to me, was 18 ga. PSGD. I don't know how to describe it. It just felt like, what I would call, crisp.

Doc Hollidae
04-08-2008, 10:47 AM
For me it's the opposite of mush or soft. It doesn't necessarily mean the string is stiff, but it doesn't have a sponge-like/mushy feeling.

Dedans Penthouse
04-08-2008, 10:49 AM
I think of autumn.

hoodjem
04-08-2008, 11:03 AM
I don't know how to describe it. It just felt like, what I would call, crisp.

YUL,

You're too funny. Crisp just felt, like, crisp. You can be more articulate if you try . . .

YULitle
04-08-2008, 11:09 AM
^^^ That's the best I can do. I'm not very good at string testing and that's why. :D

hoodjem
04-08-2008, 11:20 AM
OK. You're a good guy. Don't sweat it.

PSGD is a good example. Any others?

(I'm just trying to understand the teminology people here use, and connect words to certain sensations.)

bluetrain4
04-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Lack of mushiness. A good feeling of "firmness", but not unpleasently hard. A feeling of positive liveliness offering good energy and feedback, but not too springy or uncontrollably "lively" and not dead. Gives the mental impression of efficiency - the strings doing what they're supposed to do. If you're playing with "crisp" strings, you won't notice problems with tension or trampolining or any other problems that you encounter with your strings. Reliability - the string bed is consistent, with no hot spots.

"Crisp" varies from player to player and is a combination of string type, tension, quality of the string job, and players preferences for what they expect in terms of how their strings should feel and perform.

It's the best I could do.

lethalfang
04-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Crisp means the string still has "good resiliency."

YULitle
04-08-2008, 12:48 PM
There it is. Good Lethalfang.

With your help, I'm changing mine to:
freshly strung PSGD 18ga.

Bad Dog
04-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Crisp means I can feel almost which crosshairs dig into the ball, even at low tension. Babolat VS natural gut is very crisp, and so is Wilson’s K-Gut/Pro. But I found that Gamma Professional was not crisp at all, and neither was Babolat Xcel pre-2008.

Valjean
04-08-2008, 01:40 PM
What I wonder is if anyone would care to reflect on a relationship between "crispness" (whatever meaning it has) and tension.

Is there one? And, should there be...

AmericanTemplar
04-08-2008, 02:17 PM
The term "crisp," to me--when I hear it, means that someone frequents this board.

spiritdragon
04-08-2008, 02:43 PM
i think of lively, resoinsive string.

goober
04-08-2008, 02:44 PM
I think of bacon.

hoodjem
04-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Crisp means I can feel almost which crosshairs dig into the ball
This is a good point: lots of feedback (tactile information) going to the hand and then through the arm to the brain.

Crisp
04-08-2008, 02:53 PM
i actually think of it more as a perfectly hit volley.....pop, sharp movement into the ball quick punch forward and there you have it a Crisp volley. As far as string goes i would say its the opposite of mushy.

miniRafa386
04-08-2008, 03:11 PM
when your fixing your strings, and it makes that crunching noise.

lethalfang
04-08-2008, 03:12 PM
What I wonder is if anyone would care to reflect on a relationship between "crispness" (whatever meaning it has) and tension.

There should be a relationship, but not absolute.
People say natural gut stays "crisp" for a long time, but there is no way the actual tension stays the same.
Since each natural gut string consists of many thin fibers, when the string wears out to a point where 30% of those fibers are sawed through, then the tension cannot possibly be greater than 70% of its original tension. Yet players swear that it feels just as fresh. What they feel must reflect the great resiliency natural gut string maintains.

Bad Dog
04-08-2008, 03:45 PM
The term "crisp," to me--when I hear it, means that someone frequents this board.

Yes, and some may appear to even tell the difference between crisp and [K]risp :)

mdjenders
04-08-2008, 08:55 PM

I agree! Personally, all the slicker polys I have tried, like Cyberflash, Big Ace, PHT, feel pretty mushy, even when strung fairly tight.

hoodjem
04-09-2008, 07:48 AM

AmericanTemplar,

Would you regard your strings as crisp?

hoodjem
04-09-2008, 07:56 AM

I think there can be a relationship, but tension can also counteract the natural crispness of a string.

I have tried PSGD with a tension that was too high IMO, around 63 lbs., and it did not feel "crisp." It was very hard, too firm, and rather boardy feeling with no give.

Also, I tried a hybrid of SPPP and Forten Sweet at 57, which also did not feel crisp--it seemed muted and mushy, as in too soft. I think in this case it was the combination of two "soft" strings and a lowish tension. Other strings at this same tension would feel crisp. (I'm not sure that a hybrid of SPPP and Forten Sweet would ever feel crisp.)

Crispness seems to be a combination of the string and a certain range of tension.

AmericanTemplar
04-09-2008, 08:04 AM
AmericanTemplar,

Would you regard your strings as crisp?

Sure, the Big Ace Micro is "crisp"--at least I think so.

fastdunn
04-09-2008, 08:12 AM

Relatively stiffer on lower impact while still quite resilient on heavy impact.

It's about that 2D response graph on the size of incoming impact.

Lefty5
04-09-2008, 08:20 AM
[QUOTE=miniRafa386;2236199]when your fixing your strings, and it makes that crunching noise.[/QUOTE

The mushiest gamma strings I can find make that noise when I straighted them. Sound and actual play are two different things. Poly's with no movement play most crisp for me.

nickb
04-09-2008, 08:28 AM

That made me think of PSGD...which is very crisp...

Nick

Bubba
04-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Yes, and some may appear to even tell the difference between crisp and [K]risp :)

Too funny! Wilson's next string Brand... [K]risp.

But seriously... new fresh string that has good pop, feel, and that 'makes you smile' feeling when you hit with it.

blackfrido
04-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Lack of mushiness. A good feeling of "firmness", but not unpleasently hard. A feeling of positive liveliness offering good energy and feedback, but not too springy or uncontrollably "lively" and not dead. Gives the mental impression of efficiency - the strings doing what they're supposed to do. If you're playing with "crisp" strings, you won't notice problems with tension or trampolining or any other problems that you encounter with your strings. Reliability - the string bed is consistent, with no hot spots.

"Crisp" varies from player to player and is a combination of string type, tension, quality of the string job, and players preferences for what they expect in terms of how their strings should feel and perform.

It's the best I could do.

I really like your description/definition! any strings that you'd list under that definition?

Strateon
04-09-2008, 09:47 AM
To me, a crisp string means that the ball does not come into contact with your stringbed for a long time.

Kinda like the moment it touches, it shoots off.

mdjenders
04-09-2008, 11:22 AM
the more I think about this, I keep coming back to bluetrain's description, specifically how he says no trampolining and no worrying about tension. "crisp" for me = rip every shot with confidence and no fear of overhitting. the firm, tactile feeling of impact I associate with crisp strings further enhances my confidence to crush every ball.

PROTENNIS63
04-09-2008, 11:34 AM

Kind of like chips, eh?

Macdaddy1129
04-10-2008, 03:22 PM
If you really want to know the meaning of "crispy". Mentally prepare yourself first, then download the song: "Krispy" by Kia Shine. This should give you a pretty clear meaning of crispy.

Double Fault
04-11-2008, 04:08 AM
Head Ultra Tour is crisp during the first two hours. It then settles in to a decent feel.

miniRafa386
04-11-2008, 05:32 AM
Kind of like chips, eh?

bingo 10 char

SlapShot
04-11-2008, 09:12 AM
To me, the feeling of a fresh set of PSGD at low-med tension is crisp. At high tension, it's harsh or boardy.

After a couple of hours of hitting, though, the crispness is all but gone.

hoodjem
04-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Anything that stays crisp?

[K]Topspin
05-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Its when the stringbed gives a nice stiff, yet flexible stiff pop off with a responsive pop from the ball.

hoodjem
01-08-2009, 09:27 AM
One can't say I didn't try to come up with a definition of "crisp."

The_Question
01-08-2009, 11:56 AM
To me it's Babolat Super Fine Play Rough strung at 75lbs and sounds like breaking a branch when striking a tennis ball...

sk8ing
01-08-2009, 12:55 PM
crisp is like bite to me