PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive, high performance stringjob

Nitro
04-08-2008, 01:59 PM
With the coming of spring and eventually summer I play a lot more because I can. I really hate the feeling of burning through expensive string jobs especially since I don't do my own stringing. I play competitively but I don't break most strings. Having never played with any poly I have no idea how I would play with it, although I am fairly certain I wouldn't like it except in a hybrid. So I guess I'm looking for referrals to good, cheap multis. Also, I'm curious as to what people's thoughts are on syn gut for competitive play. Are there any syn gut strings that can compare or have characteristics that make them competitive with multi's? I would really appreciate some help as I'm a little lost in the world of string.

hyogen
04-08-2008, 02:19 PM
gamma fat core tnt2 is cheaaap.

hybrid string job can save you a lot of money..

use the gamma fat core ($3 a set or so) in the crosses. will give you soft feel if that's what you're looking for.

Valjean
04-08-2008, 02:45 PM
With the coming of spring and eventually summer I play a lot more because I can. I really hate the feeling of burning through expensive string jobs especially since I don't do my own stringing. I play competitively but I don't break most strings. Having never played with any poly I have no idea how I would play with it, although I am fairly certain I wouldn't like it except in a hybrid. So I guess I'm looking for referrals to good, cheap multis. Also, I'm curious as to what people's thoughts are on syn gut for competitive play. Are there any syn gut strings that can compare or have characteristics that make them competitive with multi's? I would really appreciate some help as I'm a little lost in the world of string.
As a recreational player, you truly don't need poly when you don't break string. It has quite a downside too: Its use obliges frequent restringing, it's not cheap, and it can wreak havoc with you. I'd recommend for you either Toalson's Leoina 66, a long-standing preference of local tournament players here and there, or Prince's Synthetic Gut Multifilament, a "hybrid" in its own right, of a different sort--being a mix of two string construction methods....

The Leoina would most likely require that you buy some string packages online, then have your racquet strung locally with those; PSGM, OTOH, is widely available at this time.

Here's some help for you for understanding what to do: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/String/StringReference.html

But here's the PSGM playtest: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2007/01/prince_synthetic_gut_multifila.html

Nitro
04-08-2008, 03:16 PM
I had been drawn to some of the softer poly strings like cyberflash and sigma pro pp because of the control and spin offered.

Any thoughts on Tecnifibre E-Matrix (their cheapest multi) or their syn gut?

I guess I just have reservations about syn gut because I've always considered it cheap junk that only comes on prestrung rackets. Is this an incorrect assumption?

Valjean
04-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Neither is widely approved of; PSGM is the cheapest reliable "multi" and it still has some firmness as well, which is why I recommend it to you. From time to time there will be a sale, too. What used to come on many pre-strung racquets was somebody's basic nylon (in the last few years that has changed a bit, and now even premium stuff is showing up), which is the lowest rung of the nylon string ladder, and just one notch below standard synthetic gut.

Zhou
04-08-2008, 05:40 PM
I really like NXT but it can get a bit expensive. It is a very soft multi.

meh
04-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Neither is widely approved of; PSGM is the cheapest reliable "multi" and it still has some firmness as well, which is why I recommend it to you. From time to time there will be a sale, too. What used to come on many pre-strung racquets was somebody's basic nylon (in the last few years that has changed a bit, and now even premium stuff is showing up), which is the lowest rung of the nylon string ladder, and just one notch below standard synthetic gut.
Valjean,
It's been reported that the recently reformulated PSGM is a softer string, unlike the original PSGM. I'm beginning my annual switch from winter gut to summer multis, and I was sure that I would be going to PSGM this summer, until I heard it was changed. I like a firmer multi - do you think the new PSGM is still worth a look?

Nitro
04-08-2008, 06:56 PM
And along those same lines, how would a softer PSGM pair with a softer poly?

I've read up on the Prince and it looks great although I think I want a little added durability, control and spin.

Valjean
04-08-2008, 08:52 PM
When you are considering poly, and want to go beyond PSGM, are you still into inexpensive, which is what we all thought? Then what's your new criteria?

Valjean
04-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Valjean,
It's been reported that the recently reformulated PSGM is a softer string, unlike the original PSGM. I'm beginning my annual switch from winter gut to summer multis, and I was sure that I would be going to PSGM this summer, until I heard it was changed. I like a firmer multi - do you think the new PSGM is still worth a look?
Where did you see it said? If you want to avoid anxiety either way, try out Wilson's Reaction instead.

meh
04-09-2008, 01:54 PM
Where did you see it said? If you want to avoid anxiety either way, try out Wilson's Reaction instead.
It was noted in this thread:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=185203

Nitro
04-09-2008, 03:15 PM
When you are considering poly, and want to go beyond PSGM, are you still into inexpensive, which is what we all thought? Then what's your new criteria?

How is considering a poly hybrid analogous to considering more expensive string?

I'm merely curious as to whether a poly/psgm hybrid will play better than the new psgm by itself.

JesseT
04-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Got unique big hitter 17(m) + gosen micro 17(c) at 55/57. Feels soooo soft. I probably could even ratchet it up to 57/60 and still maintain feel.

Replaced Wilson ultimate duo (got to try it for free)

Duo is nice but this feels just as good. And for $6 a job, I can put up with restringing in a month. Duo is almost 4x as much.

Carlito
04-09-2008, 04:09 PM
I like alpha gut 2000. Its really cheap and I think it plays well.

Valjean
04-09-2008, 04:48 PM
How is considering a poly hybrid analogous to considering more expensive string?...
When isn't it? Which poly combo do you have in mind?

Here is what TW and the USTA have to say:

"Polyester - a very durable string designed for string breakers-not much power or feel. Polyester strings became very popular with ATP players, because it provides added durability, doesn't move and 'deadens' the stringbed. While this isn't a desireable feature for most recreational players, it is for many of todays ATP and (some) WTA players. They're bigger, stronger, swing faster and use more powerful racquets than players from the past. Often used in hybrids, combining polyester mains with softer synthetic or natural gut mains. This offers the durability benefits of polyester, while reducing the stiff, dead feel. Also easier to string than 100% polyester. Not recommended for beginning players or players with arm injuries."

Nitro
04-10-2008, 12:57 PM
I had been considering SPPP and Cyberflash as the poly component. I don't want to seem completely wed to poly, its just that most of the strings I've used have been syn gut or cheap multi's, and they've sucked for the most part.

Doc Hollidae
04-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Pro Supex Big Ace and Maxim Touch form a relatively inexpensive hybrid if bought in reels and has great playability.

I like PSGM as well. Decided to change to it after playing with Maxim Touch for a while. A little more expensive, but better durability.

JesseT
04-10-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm more curious about the 'arm injury' part. I've had arm injuries. Hybrids feel like hitting the ball with a pillow---a powerful pillow that spits highspeed topspin balls.
Compared to multis I've tried, I MUCH prefer the "dead", "soft" texture of a good hybrid.

Nitro
04-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Compared to multis I've tried, I MUCH prefer the "dead", "soft" texture of a good hybrid.

Thats why I've been considering poly hybrids, I've never found a multi that I really liked because most tend to be very soft and are often more power oriented than I really want.

pow
04-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Try full poly. My friends and I with the exception of one(he hybrids) love full poly stringjobs. Everyone makes full poly sound so dangerous but I've never experienced any problems. I usually string at 55lbs.

From my experience, hybriding is something I wouldn't recommend to someone who doesn't like to restring because the stringbed lost tension at varying rates where my crosses were eventually looser than my mains because of the different string types. Also, poly saws through the softer string which will likely cut down on your string's life.

Since you don't break strings that often I'd recommend a thin poly for more feel and durability. The reason why I prefer full poly is because the increase in spin is noticeable when I went from a hybrid (poly mains, multi crosses) to full poly. This is also dependent on the user and how much spin he would like from his stringbed.

Babb
04-10-2008, 04:19 PM
I really like my usual hybrid of Big Ace 17 and PSGD 16. Really cheap and suits my baseline-heavy style.

Valjean
04-11-2008, 01:52 AM
Thats why I've been considering poly hybrids, I've never found a multi that I really liked because most tend to be very soft and are often more power oriented than I really want.
Whereas comfort and power have long been what people typically go to multis for, now there is considerable variation along a durability-playability multi continuum. Which multis had you actually been trying out? Tecnifibre's TrC, Wilson's Reaction, and Babolat's Attraction, say, are all quite different from your stereotype.

Nitro
04-11-2008, 03:29 PM
So far I have tried:

Prince Lightning XX- not very durability, too powerful, no spin, not tension stability

Wilson synthetic gut- same as Lightning

Wilson NXT Tour- way too expensive for what it is, I can't explain what it is but I really didn't like the feel or the spin.

Head RIP control- ok, not great.

Tecnifibre NRG2- I liked everything about this string except it was a too powerful (and on the expensive side)

Valjean
04-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Yonex Tour 850 Pro, I'd say, off the new information you've provided now.

Of the solid core synthetics, I'd recommend Prince's Topspin 15L, the one with Duraflex added in.