PDA

View Full Version : Fischer Pro Extreme FT:Strange racket

ferrari_827
01-06-2005, 01:29 PM
My only experience with fischer was the Pro Extreme FT. This is a strange racket, but has some really good qualities.

First, it is about 12oz but swings like an 11oz racket. It is very stiff, and I mean stiff all over, unlike Wilson and Yonex which flex either in the hoop or throat.

This stiffness translates into a bad feel on mishits. The head is 95sq.in., but the sweetspot is the smallest I've encountered for a 95; miss the sweetspot and the frame feels liks crap.

Like the RDXmid, the Extreme has pinpoint control, but requires a full, fast swing for power. So it could be an excellent racket for a small percentage of high level, but not for most.

hummer23
01-06-2005, 01:36 PM
i beg to differ. i play with this frame and i can certainly tell you that it isnt teh least bit stiff. it is very flxible, perhaps so much so, that the feel is so difffernet that you equate it with a overly stiff frame. teh reason its such a good control racquet, is because it is very flexible, thus alowing the ball more dwell time

NoBadMojo
01-06-2005, 01:44 PM
this racquet is not very stiff at all..in fact it is very flexy, probably as flexy or more flexy than a C10 which is commonly known to be a noodle. it also feels to me a bit softer than the pro1 which is another soft frame. if you cant find the sweetspot however, it can feel pretty darn harsh and boardy..if you can find the sweetspot, it's really an overstufed couch.

ferrari_827
01-06-2005, 01:44 PM
This is truly bizarre. I checked the stiffness on TW's website which listed the stiffness as 58, which is in the more flexible category. I know what a stiff racket feels like, and the Extreme felt very stiff, but as you said, it could be that it had a feel I was totally not used to which in my mind=stiffness.

hummer23
01-06-2005, 01:50 PM
yes, and if you wiss the sweet spot, its harsh, so it may seem stiff

Craig Sheppard
01-06-2005, 04:38 PM
I've used the Pro Extreme FT for about 18 months now. Mojo and hummer are correct... this is a very low powered, flexible frame. It does have a solid, quiet feel because of the vibration dampening, which maybe you're confusing with stiffness. The higher up you hit the ball with this racquet, the more you'll feel the racquet flex. I think it flexes a lot in the throat, but the head isn't stiff either.

To me it's the most comfortable frame I've played. Quiet is the best word I can use for it. When you hit it right, it's just a quiet frame, no jarring, no vibration. I do always use a Shockbuster too... not that that actually affects the frame though. Yeah if you shank it near the frame or get it too high, it's not so comfortable.

The Extreme has worked best for me with a gut hybrid, i like around 57 lbs. Mushy or soft strings like Alpha Gut 2000, (which I think is a good string but not in this racquet any more), are like Mojo said, hitting with a noodle. Gut's power overcomes this and gives you a nice feel to boot. Otherwise, solid core synthetics are pretty good too, PSG works well, and so does Gosen AK Pro. Have never tried poly.

I think it gets a bad rap, but then again I also like the uniqueness of it. More than once I've had players look at it and say, "What the heck is that thing?"

Craig

Craig Sheppard
01-06-2005, 04:41 PM
BTW Ferrari, if you want a better experience with Fischer, try to find a Pro Number One. Not the Pro No. 1 FT--that is a decent racquet, but the Pro Number One (red hoop, black throat) is a very solid, nice frame.

For a more powerful, stiffer, and easier to play with frame, the Impact is nice. Think it's called the Pro No. 1 Impact now. Anyway, it's got a dampened feel and good power and spin. Easy to hit with.

Craig

!<-_->!
01-06-2005, 06:11 PM
Craig, you seem to have had experience with the Pro. 1. If so, what was your set up? Any lead? I currently have mine at 52 with Hurricane 16 on one and ALU Power 16L on the other. Where would you advise to add lead?

Thanks

Craig Sheppard
01-06-2005, 06:23 PM
Sorry, I don't own any Pro 1's, i've just had chances to hit with them a number of times. The ones I've used however had no lead and felt pretty good. I'm not really into a lot of mods and taping.

Craig

hummer23
01-06-2005, 06:29 PM
fischer pro extreme is a really nice frame. anybody use lead on it? ive got a piar tahts customed out qith 8 grams at 3 and 9. they are actaulyl for sale, (ive got bad knees, so check the for sale forum)