PDA

View Full Version : Essential Tennis Podcast is launched

Essential Tennis
04-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Greetings Tennis Warehouse enthusiasts,

I've been doing my best to peruse the instruction forum here when I get the chance to try and help out with technique and strategy questions whenever possible. Some of you know about my blog and have subscribed. In an effort to be of more use to the community I have also started an audio Podcast which is now available on the iTunes music store.

I personally love podcasts since I have at least a 45 minute commute each day to work and back, I subscribe and listen regularly to at least half a dozen to learn more about what I'm interested in. It's my hope that this can be that same thing for some of you wanting to improve your tennis.

In the future I'd really like a good portion of the podcast to be question and answer from listeners of the Podcast and readers of the Blog. If you'd like your tennis question to be featured on the next episode of the Essential Tennis Podcast submit it to me at ian@essentialtennis.com

Here's a link to view the podcast on iTunes:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=278131039

And here is the link to the RSS feed to subscribe and download it using other applications:

http://www.essentialtennis.com/PodcastFiles/podcast.xml

Cheers!

-Ian

wihamilton
04-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Nice. I look forward to checking this out.

Essential Tennis
04-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Nice. I look forward to checking this out.

I'd appreciate any feedback Will :)

Tennis_Monk
04-09-2008, 05:35 PM
I read the article on approaching the net. I am not so sure on approaching the net on a weak shot from opponent (at recreational levels). My opponent hitting a weak shot is no guarantee that i hit a great approach shot.

I prefer the b and c options ie when i hit a good approach shot (possibly exploiting a weak link in the opponent) or when i am headed up anywaz.

Any thoughts?

wihamilton
04-10-2008, 08:25 AM
I'd appreciate any feedback Will :)

Sure thing. Gonna sit down in the next few days and take a listen :>

boojay
04-10-2008, 09:38 AM
I tried listening to it the other day, but my iTunes is either out of date or maybe there are restrictions for Canadians (DARN YOU AMERICANS!! *shakes fist*).

j/k, I love you guys.........well, not all of you.

BravoRed691
04-10-2008, 09:48 AM
BJ, you're Canadian? Freakin Eh! So THAT'S what's wrong with you! Freakin Canadians :grin:

Br

boojay
04-10-2008, 09:51 AM
BJ, you're Canadian? Freakin Eh! So THAT'S what's wrong with you! Freakin Canadians :grin:

Br

I know, hey? DAMMIT ALL TO HELL!!

Essential Tennis
04-10-2008, 03:48 PM
I tried listening to it the other day, but my iTunes is either out of date or maybe there are restrictions for Canadians (DARN YOU AMERICANS!! *shakes fist*).

j/k, I love you guys.........well, not all of you.

Sorry it didn't work for you, the link to the .xml file should work for any application that can download RSS feeds.

Is your game still doing well?

Essential Tennis
04-10-2008, 03:55 PM
I read the article on approaching the net. I am not so sure on approaching the net on a weak shot from opponent (at recreational levels). My opponent hitting a weak shot is no guarantee that i hit a great approach shot.

I prefer the b and c options ie when i hit a good approach shot (possibly exploiting a weak link in the opponent) or when i am headed up anywaz.

Any thoughts?

Sure, if a recreation player isn't good enough to strike a weak shot with any kind of aggressiveness then coming to the net is a bad idea. I prefaced coming to the net off a weak shot with that very thought:

"However, by placing yourself close to them, you also take time away from yourself. That means you cannot afford to come waltzing in on just any old shot or you'll be a sitting duck."

No player should purposefully come to the net without first challenging his or her opponent, unless their opponent is incapable of hitting aggressively themselves, heh.

boojay
04-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Sorry it didn't work for you, the link to the .xml file should work for any application that can download RSS feeds.

Is your game still doing well?

I'll keep trying, ET, I'll make it work. iTunes has never beaten me before, except for those five times....., but anyway....

YES! An emphatic yes, I think your tip really did the trick............., but I'm still gonna brace myself in case things go awry ;) It's been continuous days of good hitting since you made that post. Yesterday was my "worst" day and even then, I was playing doubles against two of the strongest doubles players in the province, so they had a lot to do with my performance, but I can't complain, I did better than I thought I would. I still wanted to win though ;).

Essential Tennis
04-11-2008, 03:45 PM
YES! An emphatic yes, I think your tip really did the trick............., but I'm still gonna brace myself in case things go awry ;) It's been continuous days of good hitting since you made that post. Yesterday was my "worst" day and even then, I was playing doubles against two of the strongest doubles players in the province, so they had a lot to do with my performance, but I can't complain, I did better than I thought I would. I still wanted to win though ;).

great, keep up the good work

boojay
04-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks Ian :D. I just got another golden tip from a former top 100 ranked player who teaches at our club. Yet another missing piece to the puzzle that I can't wait to try out. I got the gravity drop from you and the racquet toss from him. Soon I will be unstoppable!!

BTW, just played a match against an Ian today, we split sets and will have to continue our match on Monday. You gotta stop coming to the net, Ian, it makes me uncomfortable. j/k

Essential Tennis
04-13-2008, 05:48 AM
Thanks Ian :D. I just got another golden tip from a former top 100 ranked player who teaches at our club. Yet another missing piece to the puzzle that I can't wait to try out. I got the gravity drop from you and the racquet toss from him. Soon I will be unstoppable!!

BTW, just played a match against an Ian today, we split sets and will have to continue our match on Monday. You gotta stop coming to the net, Ian, it makes me uncomfortable. j/k

haha, if you were playing me thats definitely what I'd be doing. He doesn't happen to be left handed does he? If so that would be really strange, heh

Fay
04-13-2008, 06:12 AM
..... I got the gravity drop from you and the racquet toss from him.....

Are you speaking of the gravity drop on a volley shot and the racquet toss on a serve? Or something else?

boojay
04-13-2008, 10:32 AM
haha, if you were playing me thats definitely what I'd be doing. He doesn't happen to be left handed does he? If so that would be really strange, heh

He isn't, but he's got a killer jack knife two-hander at the net! I have to avoid his backhand at all costs. It's devastating!! I mean, jeez, the power and angles he can get on that puppy at the net is mind-boggling. The racquet head speed is so immediate despite having so little time to generate it. I don't think it's possible to do a 1H'er at the net like that. It's not really a volley because he essentially takes a full swing at it. I knew he was a strong doubles player, but that shot's effective in singles as well if he somehow manages to work his way to the net.

Are you speaking of the gravity drop on a volley shot and the racquet toss on a serve? Or something else?

Heya Fay, I probably used incorrect terminology that refers to some other aspect of the game which understandably would confuse you. My apologies. Both references are for the forehand. Ian (Essential Tennis) had posted in another thread about the FH takeback. I don't recall the exact details, but he had mentioned letting the racquet drop by letting gravity take over or something like that and it's really helped with my timing and coming up with a consistent stroke.

The racquet toss I mentioned happens during the FH setup prior to the takeback, that is, from the ready position (hitting hand on racquet handle, non-hitting hand on racquet throat), I'll "toss" the racquet with my non-hitting hand in setting up for my forehand. I likely didn't describe that very well either so I apologize in advance for any further confusion. My guess is it'll also help with my timing, but I'll be testing it out today. I'm confident it'll work though.

wihamilton
05-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Ian,

Just listened to your podcast on the semi western grip. Awesome stuff man. I think a combination of the mailbag and some topics you chose yourself is very effective. I will say, from my experience, that responding to viewer / listener questions is a great way to build an audience. So I would definitely keep a heavy emphasis on this.

I think your radio presence (not sure how else to describe this) is also impressive. Conversational while staying organized + clearly explaining a particular topic.

Very well done. Keep up the good work :).

Will