PDA

View Full Version : Does it matter who is stringing the racket?

SpinningForehand
04-08-2008, 06:59 PM
I have been stringing my racket. The strings don't seem to feel as good , or play as well. For sure, they are definetly looser even though I am stringing at the same tension as when I used to get them strung at my local club. Same strings, too. What could I be doing wrong? I try to prevent friction burn. I have a gamma x-2 stringing machine. Does the machine matter ? Does a better machine produce a better stringjob?

Floridafan34
04-08-2008, 07:02 PM
your club was most likely using an electric machine, which could account for the tension difference...

rabidcow
04-08-2008, 07:07 PM
just try stringing a bit tighter, see if the problem is fixed

iplaybetter
04-08-2008, 07:08 PM
the machine matters but not as much as the stringer, two stringers stringing the same frame on the same machine with the same string will produce two slightly different frames

iplaybetter
04-08-2008, 07:09 PM
your club was most likely using an electric machine, which could account for the tension difference...

no they are both cp machines,the fixed clamps could have some influence though

YULitle
04-08-2008, 07:12 PM
no they are both cp machines,the fixed clamps could have some influence though

Good catch.

OP: You are on your own now. Adjust the tension. If something is wrong, fix it. :D You don't like how it feels, you have the power now to do something about it.

iplaybetter
04-08-2008, 07:15 PM
you must also agree that 90% is the stringer, a terrible stringer ona sensor will still be worse than you on a X-2

kfactor/all/the/WAY!
04-08-2008, 07:52 PM
maybe your racquet is near its death! possibly too much wear and tear from stress when u keep stringing it.

Zhou
04-08-2008, 07:54 PM
you must also agree that 90% is the stringer, a terrible stringer ona sensor will still be worse than you on a X-2

You know, Iplaybetter, that is kind of a stretch. But I do have to agree with that.

Steve Huff
04-08-2008, 08:40 PM
It really doesn't matter who strings your racket as long as they do it correctly, and do it to your satisfaction.

mdjenders
04-08-2008, 09:49 PM
It is the floating clamps most likely; watch the clamps twist and the string pull back a little after you clamp (tension loss). I increased my tension 2-3# with my X-2 vs. the tensions I used when I had my frames strung on the electronic at the pro shop. All is well now :), and I am getting more consistent string jobs than I ever got paying for stringing.

BOSSMANBUDDYLEE
04-08-2008, 10:02 PM
As long as you string with proper consistent methods, you can overcome the fact that you have a floating clamp machine or any other type of machine. As mentioned before you can always adjust tension to compensate, however if your methods are not consistent then your string jobs will never be the same from one frame to the next.

Crisp
04-08-2008, 11:45 PM
Perhaps your machine needs to be calibrated check if what you think you are stringing at is what you are getting. Or maybe where you were having it strung was telling you one thing but providing another tension. I can remember asking for my racket to be strung at 68lbs at the pro shop i used to go to because i always felt my strings were too loose, the pro shop owner then strung the racket and told me that he had strung it at 68lbs. it still felt loose so this is when i started my own stringing business and i always string to what the customer asks ( if it is over the recommended tension of the racket i will query this before i string it.)

origmarm
04-09-2008, 12:36 AM
I've had the same guy string two of my racquets on different machines (believe it or not there was a power cut and I needed my racquet! :) ). They came out pretty much the same. I've had racquets strung on the same machine by different people when my usual guy has been on vacation and they come out different. Based on that I would say the person is substantially more important than the machine. Still just one person's observations...

Valjean
04-09-2008, 05:04 AM
I'd allow for the same 10% tension loss between a dropweight and an electronic tensioner as applies when there's a lockout machine involved, particularly when you're new to the floating clamp system.

iplaybetter
04-09-2008, 05:10 AM
to compensate for the floating clamps

nickb
04-09-2008, 05:15 AM
I'd allow for the same 10% tension loss between a dropweight and an electronic tensioner as applies when there's a lockout machine involved, particularly when you're new to the floating clamp system.

I agree with that...the tension loss would be less if the dropweight had fixed clamps.

The only machines I think string tight are babolat sensor and star machines...the quality of the machines is just amazing so next to no tension is lost when clamping. If I string at the same tension on my electric constant pull and the same tension on my local shops sensor the sensor is always a few lbs tighter.

Nick