PDA

View Full Version : Venus takes an indefinte leave from tennis

Ronaldo
04-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Anyone know what is up? http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/tennis/04/08/venus.absence.ap/index.html

bluetrain4
04-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Is she still dating that golfer Hank Kuehne? Maybe she's pregnant.

I hope it's not something too serious.

Djokovicfan4life
04-08-2008, 06:31 PM
The Williams sisters taking a break? There's some ground-breaking news right there.

bluetrain4
04-08-2008, 06:32 PM
The Williams sisters taking a break? There's some ground-breaking news right there.

But, if it was just another one of the Williams' pattented "I'm not focused" breaks, I doubt she would even announce it.

Alexandros
04-08-2008, 06:41 PM

It's groundbreaking when they announce it rather than signing up for then withdrawing from tournaments at the last moment.

Didn't she have some sort of blood related disorder reported around the US Open.

Ronaldo
04-08-2008, 06:50 PM
It's groundbreaking when they announce it rather than signing up for then withdrawing from tournaments at the last moment.

Didn't she have some sort of blood related disorder reported around the US Open.

http://www.observer.com/term/50599

ndtennis
04-08-2008, 06:56 PM
whats new... i can see this "reason" being something really not important

edmondsm
04-08-2008, 07:10 PM
This is really to bad. I hope she doesn't have some sort of health problem that is forcing her out. It would be really disappointing if she was just doing this because she felt like it. You only have so many years as a pro tennis player and Venus is no sping chicken (in tennis terms).

Ronaldo
04-08-2008, 07:17 PM
whats new... i can see this "reason" being something really not important

If you are anemic forget about any recovery after sustained aerobic or for that matter sustained activity. Feels like a low sugar bonk.

JRstriker12
04-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Hmmm.... I caught the end of he practice at Miami and she didn't look too good and didn't seem too happy. I got the feeling that something was wrong.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg120/jrstriker12/Federer/The%20Grounds/Nadal/Santoro/Top%20Pros%20on%20Practice%20Courts/IMG_7680.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg120/jrstriker12/Federer/The%20Grounds/Nadal/Santoro/Top%20Pros%20on%20Practice%20Courts/IMG_7682.jpg

I hope she's alright. Maybe she's taking a break before she marries that golfer dude or - and this is far fetched - maybe there's a kiddo on the way? Just speculation.

grafrules
04-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Maybe she is hoping to duplicate 2000 when she last took a leave like this. Hoping for some karma.

edmondsm
04-08-2008, 07:24 PM
If you are anemic forget about any recovery after sustained aerobic or for that matter sustained activity. Feels like a low sugar bonk.

Is she?! God I hope she doesn't have sickle cell. That would be horrible news.

Sports_fan
04-08-2008, 10:48 PM
When I first read the article I thought she might be pregnant but I do hope she's alright and will return to playing.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
04-09-2008, 05:04 AM
Always the apathy by some is quick. That's disappointing but typical. Yes, have pulled out of majors, or some have retired with little excuse that some outsiders see as credible, but when someone announces indefinite leave this would indicate deductively that it is a serious situation or potentially life changing where one would no longer be able to devote majority of time to tennis. I try not to judge such things one way or the other, as its a new statement especially, and time and news will eventually reveal what's going on. In this case, I wish such person the best.

8PAQ
04-09-2008, 05:13 AM
Hmmm.... I caught the end of he practice at Miami and she didn't look too good and didn't seem too happy. I got the feeling that something was wrong.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg120/jrstriker12/Federer/The%20Grounds/Nadal/Santoro/Top%20Pros%20on%20Practice%20Courts/IMG_7682.jpg

I hope she's alright. Maybe she's taking a break before she marries that golfer dude or - and this is far fetched - maybe there's a kiddo on the way? Just speculation.

Is that Serena eating an orange? She looks to be in a pretty good shape. No wander she won the title.

TNT16
04-09-2008, 05:24 AM
She is skipping the Fed Cup . . . I would say this is in the 'no big deal' category

Williams will not play for the United States in the Fed Cup semifinal against Russia on April 26-27, but did not rule out any other tournaments and said she still wants to play in the French Open beginning in late May.

futuretoptenner
04-09-2008, 05:37 AM
Is that Serena eating an orange? She looks to be in a pretty good shape. No wander she won the title.

LOL! That is harsh dude! But speculation will continue and we won't know unless she makes an announcement. I'm guessing she just needs to take a break to rebuild the passion for tennis. She hasn't been taking as many breaks as Serena (unjustified).

k_liu
04-09-2008, 05:49 AM
Venus has always been the better of the Williams sister, in my opinion. It has to be huge for her to go public with this news. I just hope it's not too serious. She's a good person and a player. I hope she returns to the game.

mrDamien
04-09-2008, 07:22 AM
It should be a times for her to say goodbye to tennis world and switching her carrier as permanent housewife/housekeeper :).

Ronaldo
04-09-2008, 07:30 AM
It should be a times for her to say goodbye to tennis world and switching her carrier as permanent housewife/housekeeper :).

Her next career must be managing that moolah for a lifetime. Tennis' Lenny Dykstra, eh? Her family may help her spend it.

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
04-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Maybe she is going to take care of her sister's dogs so they don't eat anymore employees, or help her father's "management" company with contract negotiations.
Adios, Big Bird.

mrDamien
04-09-2008, 07:45 AM
Venus has always been the better of the Williams sister, in my opinion. It has to be huge for her to go public with this news. I just hope it's not too serious. She's a good person and a player. I hope she returns to the game.

Without a doubt attitude wise she's slightly better than Serena. Too bad couldn't witness myself Sharapova going to kick her *** on upcoming FO.

mrDamien
04-09-2008, 07:47 AM
Her next career must be managing that moolah for a lifetime. Tennis' Lenny Dykstra, eh? Her family may help her spend it.

Best describe her future maid to be :).

IvanYentl
04-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Maybe she is going to take care of her sister's dogs so they don't eat anymore employees, or help her father's "management" company with contract negotiations.
Adios, Big Bird.

:-) :-) :-) :-)

Ronaldo
04-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Best describe her future maid to be :).

Maid? This is far more believable, eh? Internet Thief Claims Venus Williams Wants To Eat His Head

Serial plaintiff and convicted online ID thief Jonathan Lee Riches has launched a claim against the U.S. Open and tennis stars Serena and Venus Williams.

By Paul McDougall
InformationWeek
September 11, 2007 12:50 PM

Proving that anyone really can file a lawsuit, serial plaintiff and convicted online ID thief Jonathan Lee Riches has launched a claim against the U.S. Open and tennis stars Serena and Venus Williams.
In handwritten papers filed last week in U.S. District Court in Virginia, Riches claims that the tennis balls used at the recent U.S. Open in New York were comprised of "electrons and neutrons stolen from my head" and that Venus and Serena Williams "told me they want to eat my head for supper." Riches also says he taught Venus to play table tennis in county jail.

Riches currently resides in federal prison in Salters, South Carolina, where he is serving time for his role in an Internet identity theft scam that lured its victims to a phony AOL site. He has become so infamous for whiling away his days in the slammer by filing outrageous lawsuits that there is now a Wikipedia page devoted to his efforts.

Riches previously sued Michael Vick, claiming the disgraced Atlanta Falcons quarterback helped bring down Pan Am Flight 103 in Lockerbie, Scotland. He's also filed claims against President Bush for implanting a computer virus in his body and sued the entire Internet for abetting identity theft -- the crime of which he is convicted.

Riches may be an unsuccessful Web scammer, but he's not lacking for imagination. He once sued Barry Bonds, claiming the San Francisco Giants' slugger used Hank Aaron's bat to crack the Liberty Bell.

Riches will have lots of time to dream up more lawsuits. He's not scheduled to be released from prison until 2012. Carlos Fleming, the Williams sisters' agent, did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

danb
04-09-2008, 10:32 AM

You got that right - it never happened before :)
It is like "Safin retired from the practice courts at 22 - still playing in ATP"
The Williams and Safin stopped training in their early 20s. They might compete whenever they get bored of other things, no worries.
LOL

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-09-2008, 06:52 PM
She's skipped majors before without saying why. If it's not important, why make an announcement?

http://www.******************.blogspot.com

I want to know what grand slam tournament she has withdrawn aside from wrist tendonitis/surgery, abdominal injury, where she has given a reason.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Without a doubt attitude wise she's slightly better than Serena. Too bad couldn't witness myself Sharapova going to kick her *** on upcoming FO.

Keep hoping, because you might be a little more disappointed than Hewitt getting his ticket out of the ATP by several journeymen, or is he there already?

mrDamien
04-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Keep hoping, because you might be a little more disappointed than Hewitt getting his ticket out of the ATP by several journeymen, or is he there already?

Yeah i'm hoping and still hoping for Hewitt. He won't dissapointed his own fanatic supporter :). He won't just give up like that. Too early for him to retire. Target to be Top 10.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Yeah i'm hoping and still hoping for Hewitt. He won't dissapointed his own fanatic supporter :). He won't just give up like that. Too early for him to retire. Target to be Top 10.

Sure as a fanatic fan to another, we can only wish the best for our players. At the same time, I just hope everyting turns out fine for Venus and she gets back on tour as soon as possible. :(

mrDamien
04-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Sure as a fanatic fan to another, we can only wish the best for our players.

Venus case totally different. As a fanatic fan you should agree to her retirement as she should marry a man, give birth to a children, to have her own family and totally dissapear in tennis world.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Venus case totally different. As a fanatic fan you should agree to her retirement as she should marry a man, give birth to a children, to have her own family and totally dissapear in tennis world.

I am not agreeing to that bull on your part. If that was the case Hewitt should retire also, with his Bugs Bunny of a wife that many claims to be hot. :roll:

You have your opinion and I have mines. :?

mrDamien
04-09-2008, 07:49 PM
I am not agreeing to that bull on your part. If that was the case Hewitt should retire also, with his Bugs Bunny of a wife that many claims to be hot. :roll:

You have your opinion and I have mines. :?

Meaning as a man you don't allow her to retire and get marry to someone out there and to build her own family. If she prefer for retirement you should wish her luck and hoping the best for her. :lol: :lol:.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Meaning as a man you don't allow her to retire and get marry to someone out there and to build her own family. If she prefer for retirement you should wish her luck and hoping the best for her. :lol: :lol:.

Basically, I would respond to that comment, but that was too easy. Whatever Venus decides to do I wish her the best, she will be in the hall of fame no matter what happens.

mrDamien
04-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Basically, I would respond to that comment, but that was too easy. Whatever Venus decides to do I wish her the best, she will be in the hall of fame no matter what happens.

Hall of fame in kitchen.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Hall of fame in kitchen.

Whatever you say sir, but you have got the art of trolling down. I am retiring for the night. :)

mrDamien
04-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Whatever you say sir, but you have got the art of trolling down. I am retiring for the night. :)

Alright :). Give and take. Venus is yours tonight.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Alright :). Give and take. Venus is yours tonight.

Venus is mines always no matter what, I dont care what anyone has to say. :)

But your cool Mr. Damien, what's your favorite NHL team by the way?

moxio
04-09-2008, 11:15 PM
I hope she's okay.

mrDamien
04-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Venus is mines always no matter what, I dont care what anyone has to say. :)

But your cool Mr. Damien, what's your favorite NHL team by the way?

Untouchable Venus :). Ottawa Senators The Sens.......One Mission :twisted:.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Untouchable Venus :). Ottawa Senators The Sens.......One Mission :twisted:.

Enough said, and I will keep up with their progress, good night. :D

mrDamien
04-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Enough said, good night. :D

Are you in retirement plan?? Working?

officerdibble
04-09-2008, 11:35 PM

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg120/jrstriker12/Federer/The%20Grounds/Nadal/Santoro/Top%20Pros%20on%20Practice%20Courts/IMG_7680.jpg

I think the problem is she's not eating enough. Apparently her team has been buying lots of food, they just don't know where she's putting it all :-?

mrDamien
04-09-2008, 11:43 PM
I think the problem is she's not eating enough. Apparently her team has been buying lots of food, they just don't know where she's putting it all :-?

The food all gone to Serena stomach and butt.

Wuornos
04-10-2008, 01:47 AM
Well whatever the reason is for this I for one will miss Venus.

Whether she eventually returns and irrespective of any future results she is a great of the game.

Regards

Tim

Duzza
04-10-2008, 02:13 AM

I'm not sure how Venus is going health wise, but I think Serena needs to lose some pounds by the look of that pic..

tangerine
04-10-2008, 06:34 AM
Venus will be fine. She will be back stronger and better for Wimbledon.

JRstriker12
04-10-2008, 06:44 AM

I'm not sure how Venus is going health wise, but I think Serena needs to lose some pounds by the look of that pic..

Don't know man. Serena looks pretty fine and fit next to that Trophy:

http://www.tennis.com/uploadedImages/NNTP_Photos/29259_Key_Biscayne_Tennis.sff.jpg

Ronaldo
04-10-2008, 07:34 AM

Serena may never look like this again, eh? http://www.famouswhy.com/pictures/people/serena_williams.jpg

wta_fan
04-10-2008, 09:44 AM
so who's gonna win Wimbledon then?

Cindysphinx
04-10-2008, 09:57 AM
I don't think it could possibly be sickle cell. That's a genetic disease; you don't just wake up with it.

Me, I wonder if it is mono, like Fed. She has looked really flat, and that episode she had at the AO (IIRC) where she called a trainer is ominous.

CyberInferno
04-10-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm glad I had just swallowed the soda in my throat. Otherwise, the monitor would be covered with it. Hilarious!

TheNatural
04-10-2008, 05:08 PM
I think venus is just bored. With the technical glitches in her forehand and 2nd serve shes probably frustrated because she finds it hard to improve and stay motivated. I think boredom and frustration is settling in.

vince916
04-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Whoa I never knew he husband was a golfer and that much older than her.

vince916
04-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Serena may never look like this again, eh? http://www.famouswhy.com/pictures/people/serena_williams.jpg

what year was this?

MariaS
04-10-2008, 08:02 PM
I don't think it could possibly be sickle cell. That's a genetic disease; you don't just wake up with it.

Me, I wonder if it is mono, like Fed. She has looked really flat, and that episode she had at the AO (IIRC) where she called a trainer is ominous.

I still think it's strange that within these last few months both Fed and Venus have been so fatigued. Remember the Australian Open? Could be something genetic brought on by an environmental factor.

mrDamien
04-10-2008, 08:20 PM
What do you all think of this? She's getting thinner and slimmer by looking at this photo.

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/2362/412serenawilliamsjanemazv4.jpg

janipyt05
04-11-2008, 12:22 AM
V made a statement because she didn't want people to think she was taking a holiday or trying to concentrate on her company, this has to do with her health, why shouldn't she deal with it while she has the time, so she can get back and give it her all.

budkid
04-11-2008, 12:50 AM
What do you all think of this? She's getting thinner and slimmer by looking at this photo.

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/2362/412serenawilliamsjanemazv4.jpg

yikes.....

DomStar7
04-12-2008, 02:58 AM
she wont leave without another Grand Slam or a full set.

daddy
04-12-2008, 05:48 AM
I still think it's strange that within these last few months both Fed and Venus have been so fatigued. Remember the Australian Open? Could be something genetic brought on by an environmental factor.

Isn't this a fairly impossible scenario ? Sometimes I wonder if some people saw one too many episode of X-Files.

grafrules
04-12-2008, 06:23 AM
she wont leave without another Grand Slam or a full set.

If she really is going to play until she gets a full set of slams then she will be playing tennis until she dies.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-12-2008, 10:49 AM
If she really is going to play until she gets a full set of slams then she will be playing tennis until she dies.

Hopefully if she is healthy, I think she will try to hang around for another 5 years, and I think she will die trying to get a Australian and French title. The French is a long shot, but I think Australian is possible with the new court change.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-13-2008, 10:56 AM
Venus Blog
Hello everyone,

I am sure over the past few days you have heard some reports about me taking a “hiatus” from tennis. This could not be further from the truth and I just wanted to provide an update to those of you who are concerned.

The last few months have included a great deal of travel (5 continents in 2 months) and a lot of matches. I am not experiencing an injury (thank goodness) but after the Miami tournament my physio and I agreed that this was a smart time to have some preventative checkups on everything from my
knees to my shoulder to my wrist to make sure that everything is in order. This is in preparation for a long summer that begins next month with the pre-French Open events in Europe and will last through the US Open in September. I have learned that caution is key and my goal is to do everything I can to put myself in the best position to do well during this next stretch.

The speculation that arose last week is an unfortunate example of one writer incorrectly spinning a story that took on a life of its own. I agreed to visit the Amelia Island tournament (Bausch and Lomb Championships) last week after my withdrawal to offer my support to the tournament and the WTA(and will do the same in Charleston this week). During my visit, I met with sponsors and fans and participated in a media session. From the media session somehow one of the writers translated my statement that I intend to return to competitive play next month for the French Open as an “indefinite leave of absence”??? While it was great to hear from a lot of old friends that wanted to make sure I was ok, this headline was wrong. To be very clear, I am healthy, I am not on an indefinite leave of absence and I will be back on Tour next month beginning in Rome (May 12).

I love playing tennis more and more each day and have no intentions of sitting on the sidelines and watching on TV!

The upcoming weeks will include my visit to Charleston and the Family Circle Cup tournament for a few days this week. I’ll watch Serena play on Tues night and then back to Florida for practice and training. It will be nice to spend a little time at home and catch up on a variety of things including quality time with my friends and family and of course working on new designs for Eleven spring 09 in fact). Thank you for the support. ttyl, vee

http://www.elevenbyvenus.com/venusnew/wpblog/index.php

daddy
04-13-2008, 11:00 AM
^^^ There you go. Who says media does not lie ( all the time ) ??

mrDamien
04-13-2008, 08:21 PM
Should we welcome Venus back on tour.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Should we welcome Venus back on tour.
Where did she go? :confused: