PDA

View Full Version : When/Why do you play badly?

Tenny
01-06-2005, 02:20 PM
About 2 days ago, I had an important meeting so got only less than 2 hours sleep, on the go all day, some pain in my leg, tired. Anyway I met my buddies and played and sucked...

When and Why do you play badly?

Rickson
01-06-2005, 03:07 PM
About 2 days ago, I had an important meeting so got only less than 2 hours sleep, on the go all day, some pain in my leg, tired. Anyway I met my buddies and played and sucked...

When and Why do you play badly?
A lack of sleep can definitely do it to you.

Craig Sheppard
01-06-2005, 03:59 PM
Two biggest problems: taking eye off the ball and playing too anxiously/energetically. They're interrelated. When I'm overhitting and overexcited, I don't tend to watch the ball long enough. If I play patiently and watch the ball enough, I tend to play really well.

David Pavlich
01-06-2005, 05:57 PM
Everytime I play...I'm a lousy player. I can run rings around a stringing machine, but after I get my frame off of the machine, it's like it has a mind of it's own! And why I'm a lousy player; I took up tennis late in life and I'm lucky if I play 2 or 3 times a month. Not enough time.

David

Brian Purdie
01-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Cold weather! Can't stand it. Not those mittens, nor anything can loosen me up in 30 to 40 F weather.

Rickson
01-06-2005, 07:00 PM
If you have something on your mind like a bad break up or a job problem, you can believe your tennis will suffer.

goober
01-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Well I played today when I was not fully recovered from the flu. Almost lost to somebody I usually doesn't get more than 2-3 games a set off me. I definitely should have waited for another couple days.

I have played badly when I don't care about a match and get really sloppy with my strokes. I have also played badly when I was very angry. Angry tennis = bad tennis.

Phil
01-06-2005, 08:56 PM
I tend to not play very well while hung over or sleep deprived or both.

I also have problems when I haven't eaten in a while and my glycogen levels are low. To counter this effect, I'll compensate by stuffing myself silly (Chinese, pizza, steak or all three). Some may consider this OVER compensating. I often find that playing on an overly full stomach cuts down on my movement, concentration and motivation to even be standing (which is a necessary starting position for non-wheelchair tennis).

Camilio Pascual
01-07-2005, 03:58 AM
Relationship and job problems bring out both extremes in me. I tend to get totally immersed and play out of my mind well OR I outdo my opponent's efforts to defeat me by committing a flurry of UE's and self destructive bad shot & strategy choices. More than several times I have apologized to my opponent for my self-directed surliness and making a disrespectfully poor effort.

Russell Finch
01-07-2005, 04:26 AM
Temperature doesn't bother me but my serve goes completely in the wind. Otherwise, on the days when I feel good and am keen to play, I stink. When I can't be bothered or I feel ill or grumpy, I play way better. Maybe a downbeat mindset makes me concentrate more and not go for so many clever shots. I always play badly if I've eaten recently - much better hungry.

sharkey10s
01-07-2005, 06:25 AM
When my opponent chases everything down and pushes everything back. :)

I'll be lucky if I can pull it out in the 7-5 in the third.

Superior_Forehand
01-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Relationship and job problems bring out both extremes in me. I tend to get totally immersed and play out of my mind well OR I outdo my opponent's efforts to defeat me by committing a flurry of UE's and self destructive bad shot & strategy choices. More than several times I have apologized to my opponent for my self-directed surliness and making a disrespectfully poor effort.

Relationship problems do that to me too. I have been in a deteriorating relationship/break-up for the entire fall semester and I will tell you that while I have become completely and utterly obsessed with tennis as a result, my game often suffers. Sometimes my mental form gets so bad that I destroy myself with double faults, UE's, and a self deprecating attitude. Extreme breakdowns are rare now days but I always apologize to my opponents after one, regardless.

thejackal
01-07-2005, 01:20 PM
When my serve doesn't go in, it wrecks havoc on the rest of my game.

Max G.
01-07-2005, 03:48 PM
When I have a sprained ankle and shouldn't be on the court in the first place. God, that was the most embarassing match of my life...

reynolds10s
01-09-2005, 11:56 AM
I feel like I have peaks and valleys for my tennis. Right now I seem to be in the valley and I really wish I could start up the peak again. I'm especially having a hard time with singles. I continually have duece points (five or six in one game!) but do you think I can convert the last point? NOOOOO!
I'm glad I'm not trying to get paid for this!

Richie Rich
01-09-2005, 04:51 PM
I tend to not play very well while hung over or sleep deprived or both.

I also have problems when I haven't eaten in a while and my glycogen levels are low. To counter this effect, I'll compensate by stuffing myself silly (Chinese, pizza, steak or all three). Some may consider this OVER compensating. I often find that playing on an overly full stomach cuts down on my movement, concentration and motivation to even be standing (which is a necessary starting position for non-wheelchair tennis).

Phil and I must be related. Hung over and/or sleep deprived/tired are only reasons I play bad (which seems to be a lot these days). Oh ya, and also playing someone you've beaten 99 out of 100 times and don't care.

Serve-And-Volley
01-09-2005, 06:50 PM
I play badly when my mental game falls apart. Often time I think I can't win or my opponet is too good, then I start to get cramps in my legs and tank! I also play badly after winning an important match. Also I have a giant forehand and when I start making errors on it my game gets through off. Thats just me though...

GrahamIsSuper
01-09-2005, 07:05 PM
Entering into a weekend juniors tournament thats an hour and a half away from your house...having to drive up at 7 AM, only to be delayed an hour and a half from your start time of 10:00 by a 18 year old "tournament director" (*scoffs*) will make you play poorly. Also, driving there under the impression that the club will actually remember that they listed the surface as indoor hardcourt....luckily, the courts were full and they had plenty of outdoor courts seeing as how it was 37 degrees out.

So basically, I had to play a first-round match outside on a wet/slick court where it was 36 degrees against the second seed player due to the tournament not accepting my seed qualifications for some reason. I found this incredibly agravating that an entire tournament that was listed as indoor was played outdoor in the middle of january.

Needless to say, I complained to the "director", asked for my money back, told them I wouldn't be returning, would be filing a usta grievance, and forfeitted my consolations because I was literally so angry I couldn't swing a racket and lost 6-0, 6-0 for the first time in 3 years.

All in all, I learned from the experience...Never, ever trust the internet.