PDA

View Full Version : If Federer won the French, but....

teneighty
04-08-2008, 09:47 PM
If Federer won the French, but he ended up not playing Nadal in the final.. would people consider it less of a victory? And maybe say, "Well he won the French, but he didn't beat Nadal so he still not the greatest."

I am a huge Federer fan, but after seeing browsing the forums for a little while, I can completely see something like this happening.. I can see the media saying stuff to take away from Federer's win..

Rickson
04-08-2008, 09:55 PM
If Federer won the French, but he ended up not playing Nadal in the final..

I think he'd prefer it that way.

crawl4
04-08-2008, 10:18 PM
it still would be just at amazing but it wouldn't be like the fairy tale or the way the media would want it, im sure he wouldnt care how he got it and neither would i

FO 2008 RF

Sports_fan
04-08-2008, 10:54 PM
I know the media would say that I could see why. Defeating Nadal on his best surface at a slam that he's won three years running having never lost a match at the FO would be exactly what the media would want. I don't see that happening and as a Nadal fan I rather see him win the FO again and take the Wimby title from Fed.

califsurferboy33
04-08-2008, 10:58 PM
the question is what happens if federer and nadal are not 1 and 2, i forget how the seeding works but if djokovic takes the number 2 spot and nadal is 3 for example, will federer and nadal still be on opposite sides of the draw? is that even possible?

Sports_fan
04-08-2008, 11:06 PM
the question is what happens if federer and nadal are not 1 and 2, i forget how the seeding works but if djokovic takes the number 2 spot and nadal is 3 for example, will federer and nadal still be on opposite sides of the draw? is that even possible?

I think in that case Nadal and Fed may end up playing in the semis (if they get there) instead of the finals.

(FEDERER)vs(NADAL)
04-08-2008, 11:16 PM
a fed/nadal final would be awesome but i don't think nadal will make the final this year

frontline
04-09-2008, 12:50 AM
i think nadal will have better chance than any1 reaching the final, fed is totally out of question this year !

D. Dokas
04-09-2008, 01:06 AM
hmmm cmon guys give fed a break i still think he can come back to playing like his normal self

dr325i
04-09-2008, 03:32 AM
i think nadal will have better chance than any1 reaching the final, fed is totally out of question this year !

I disagree that FED is EVER "totally out of question..."

Djokovicfan4life
04-09-2008, 04:27 AM
A win is a win, if Nadal loses before the final perhaps he wouldn't have beaten Federer anyway?

P.S. 10 posts even!

the_flying_wallaby
04-09-2008, 04:45 AM
A win is a win, if Nadal loses before the final perhaps he wouldn't have beaten Federer anyway?

P.S. 10 posts even!

Agree 100% if Rafa cannot make the finals of the french then his form isn't good enough to beat fed.

gdsballer
04-09-2008, 04:48 AM
to be the greatest of all time he needs to beat nadal at fo

mattyc
04-09-2008, 04:58 AM
out of interest,

if federer wins this year at the french would he become officially the goat?

or does he need to win the french and then at least equal sampras' grand dlam record?

8PAQ
04-09-2008, 05:09 AM
How many other GOAT candidates defeated Nadal in the FO final?

futuretoptenner
04-09-2008, 05:45 AM
I certainly do think that too! But in my eyes , if he wins it , he wins it whether or not he plays Nadal . If Nadal is beaten by someone else and Federer beats his conquerer then by simple logic Federer would have beaten Nadal. I know there are other factors involved (different playing styles for example) but this is the way the majority of tennis fans will see it.

bluescreen
04-09-2008, 06:13 AM
if somebody besides fed is able to beat nadal at the french chances r that person is making to the finals and will give the other finalist (if fed) a real battle.

danb
04-09-2008, 10:43 AM
I certainly do think that too! But in my eyes , if he wins it , he wins it whether or not he plays Nadal . If Nadal is beaten by someone else and Federer beats his conquerer then by simple logic Federer would have beaten Nadal. I know there are other factors involved (different playing styles for example) but this is the way the majority of tennis fans will see it.

Fair enough.

alfa164164
04-09-2008, 10:49 AM
If Nadal wins Wimbledon without playing Federer does that count?
I guess Sampras' Slams against the likes of Pioline, etc. need to be discounted as well (no offense meant to Cedric).
At the end of the day, it's the Slam count, doesn't matter who you play in the final, that can't be controlled.

PROTENNIS63
04-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Of course it is. Nadal may be the best player in the tournament but if someone beats him in the early rounds, then that person is just playing better.

Nadal_Monfils
04-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Rod Laver would still be the goat.

hoodjem
04-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Rod Laver would still be the goat.
Huh! Where'd that come from?

If Fed wins the FO, did he win the FO?

The answer is yes. The record books will show that he won the French Open.

edmondsm
04-09-2008, 12:18 PM
That's the only way he's going to win it. Nadal is in that guy's head.

alfa164164
04-09-2008, 12:36 PM
If Nadal doesn't make it to the Final or is injured, then he isn't the best opponent in the field.

hyogen
04-09-2008, 12:40 PM
it still would be just at amazing but it wouldn't be like the fairy tale or the way the media would want it, im sure he wouldnt care how he got it and neither would i

FO 2008 RF

so when Federer got to the finals of roland garros, what great clay courters did he have to beat to get there? Let's not forget Fed HAS beaten Nadal on clay before. does anyone know how many times? and how many times nadal has beaten fed on clay?

zagor
04-09-2008, 12:49 PM
If Federer somehow squeaks through a FO title,I honestly won't care who he beat in the final and I'm sure he won't as well.If he does that(not likely but one can hope) he will surpass Sampras,atleast in my opinion.

daddy
04-09-2008, 01:05 PM

I think that was the only way he could have done it. Now he would just like to win estoril but Djokovic and Davydenko are in the draw. He would prefer they are not.

daddy
04-09-2008, 01:09 PM
If Federer somehow squeaks through a FO title,I honestly won't care who he beat in the final and I'm sure he won't as well.If he does that(not likely but one can hope) he will surpass Sampras,atleast in my opinion.

I know estoril is around the corner as is the clay season. But just to mix up a bit, do you see his chances this year ? I think that his chances are much lower then they were for the 05-07 period.

Btw - this is the first time from 1999 that world top two players did not win a single tournament in first 3 months of the year. guess who was 1st back then ? Just thought Id throw the info along .. ;)

zagor
04-09-2008, 01:21 PM
I know estoril is around the corner as is the clay season. But just to mix up a bit, do you see his chances this year ? I think that his chances are much lower then they were for the 05-07 period.

Btw - this is the first time from 1999 that world top two players did not win a single tournament in first 3 months of the year. guess who was 1st back then ? Just thought Id throw the info along .. ;)

To be honest,I really don't like his chances at the FO this year.The main reason is that his baseline game has declined and I see him more and more relying on serve to win matches,I also don't know if he is fully fit or not.I think his best chance was in 2006 when he was playing the best tennis of his life and Nadal had some nerves and pressure defending his title.At this moment it would be a great success for Federer if he can even reach semifinal or final in the FO,even quarters would not be that bad.As for 1999,I felt a little sorry for Sampras there,I remember thinking that he had USO in the bag already the way he was playing that summer but then he got injured and Agassi took advantage of that.But atleast he met Bridget during the period he was out of tennis,so atleast some good came of it.

ninman
04-09-2008, 01:23 PM

Sampras was number 1 at the start of 1999, and periodically during the year (although he didn't end the year at number 1). I think Federer's chances are worse, but I still think he has a chance, I think he's going to push hard, because he knows it's only going to get harder from this year on. I'd say he could still win it any year until he retires, but this year is his last good chance.

I can't see Nadal taking it for the 4th time. Djokovic is getting more confident, and will be a threat to Nadal on the clay, as for everyone else who knows? Nalbandian is too inconsistent, Davydenko maybe doesn't have the clay game, Roddick has zero chance of ever beating Nadal on clay no matter how badly he plays. Maybe I'm just thinking wishfully, but I suspect we'll see a Federer Djokovic final and I just hope it goes Federer's way.

Lendl and Federer Fan
04-09-2008, 05:19 PM
It would be even sweeter if King Fed beats Nadal in the final!

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
04-09-2008, 05:22 PM
People will always say some crap and try to either make it greater and less than it actually is, if he gets the win. Such is life. But right now, really with a number of players showing surprising play, unexpected play and they seem to be hot, I think Federer is going to have as tough a time as ever attempting to win the elusive French open.

TheNatural
04-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Fed's only chance to win the FO is if Nadal pulls out injured, in which case Fed will have to prove himself the following year by winning it again..lol

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-09-2008, 06:33 PM
I don't care who he beats, as long as he has that French Open title on his resume. Whatveer he does after that is all gravy for me.

Andre Agassi def Medvedev, not Kuerten or the main clay court player at that time and nobody cried about it.

flyer
04-09-2008, 08:48 PM
I think initially people may say its not the same but in time people will relize no matter how he did it he still won the French and forget that he didn't beat Nadal to do it. So if he won he would be seen at the GOAT....

but seriously, you people really need to stop assuming Federer is just going to be there because his current form on his worst surface does nothing to prove he will be, this thread should say "If Federer doesnt get upset in the first round, then wins his second round, then eeks out a tough five setter, then gets a walk over, then doesnt run into an in form clay courter, then manges to beat a really good clay courter in the quarters, then gets a dream draw lame duck in the semis and wins, then somehow some way beat Djokovic(exp, could be another player) even though Djoker has been the much more in form player and beat Nadal in the semis and wins the FO for the first time but dosnt beat Nadal what is his legacy?"

Hot Sauce
04-09-2008, 10:06 PM
I don't think it will be quite as meaningful, but I really don't think it makes a difference for Federer. He wants that FO title, and doesn't care who he has to play to get it.

ndtennis
04-10-2008, 06:07 AM
there are still a lot of very good clay court players, maybe not as good as nadal but regardless he would still have to work very hard for it

Pro Staff Pete
04-10-2008, 06:09 AM
Yes. A GS is a GS.

In 10 years nobody will remember that he didn't face Nadal in the final.

raiden031
04-10-2008, 06:24 AM
Fed is the biggest hero I've ever had in life because of his accomplishments. But I hate to say it, he is in a slump and I don't see him breaking out of it during the French. I would be surprised if he makes it into the quarters. Until he gets a coach, I don't expect him to start winning again any time soon. It sucks but it just goes to show how hard it really is to dominate this sport.

matchmaker
04-10-2008, 01:52 PM
I voted yes to your hypothetical question but I will tell you this, IMO, Federer will never reach the FO final again.

sureshs
04-10-2008, 01:54 PM
If Federer won the French, but he ended up not playing Nadal in the final.. would people consider it less of a victory? And maybe say, "Well he won the French, but he didn't beat Nadal so he still not the greatest."

I am a huge Federer fan, but after seeing browsing the forums for a little while, I can completely see something like this happening.. I can see the media saying stuff to take away from Federer's win..

May have been true till last year, but no more. Nadal has been beaten by Djoker and Davydenko this year. No big deal if he is not in the final.

vince916
04-10-2008, 08:33 PM
No one cares about the 2nd place person in the long run. Maybe there will be some people say its not the same, but 10 years down the line when he's remembered as the GOAT no one will remember he didnt play Nadal.

CyBorg
04-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Fed won't win the French.

mrDamien
04-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Fed won't win the French.

I need to second you on this. Fed couldn't win on FO. Mission Impossible.

vndesu
04-10-2008, 08:58 PM

you cant count out fed.
hes trying at least.
but you also cant count out daveydanko, roddick and djoko.

yes even tho its clay anything can happen./

Nadal_Freak
04-10-2008, 10:07 PM
If Djokovic won the French is the more likely outcome if Nadal doesn't win it.

veroniquem
04-11-2008, 12:05 AM
You can't count out Roddick on clay? I think I can!

Nadal_Freak
04-11-2008, 07:02 AM
but you also cant count out roddick
LMAO :lol: 10char.

fleabitten
04-11-2008, 07:14 AM

I don't, I think he would prefer to beat Nadal in the final. However, I think it does not take anything away from his career Grand Slam if he doesn't.