PDA

View Full Version : [Video] Highlights and Lowlights... Critique Welcome

gunbuster
04-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Apologies in advance -- we got a tripod, but the court is not very well lit, and well the angle isn't ideal.

http://www.youtube.com/v/xL5Lr_hpozs

I'm the one in the blue shirt. I put a smattering of highlights of my play from a recent doubles game. I served pretty well, but I volleyed terribly, as evidenced by the video. I've got a larger Quicktime but not sure where to post it.

Anyway, by looking at the video, I can definitely see that I've got too much swing in my volley. But I'd be appreciative of any other tips people could share. There wasn't too much rallying here, but in most doubles I've played the points go pretty quick. We serve, we volley.. I miss :-)

I don't serve quite as hard in doubles, mostly relying on mixing up slice and twist. Plus, the net cord strap was broken so the net was about 2 inches higher than normal :shock:

vndesu
04-08-2008, 11:37 PM
your serves are good i wouldnt change that
just remember when you rush net dont always rush right away.
bend your k nees and get under.
also make sure to keep the racket in front so that you can bend your knees and get below it.

also another good tip is to b on your toes when youre volleying

anchorage
04-09-2008, 01:12 AM
Don't forget to split step! Really, you should seek to build this into all your preparation. It's currently missing as you approach the net. You should move in; as your opponent is about to hit, split step to get full balance and then move into the volley, whatever.

jayserinos99
04-09-2008, 01:58 AM
One thing I noticed was that the receiver's partner kept turning and looking back; I believe a few of you did it but don't remember who. Also, I noticed the positioning during the serving and receiving, the server's partner was standing too close to the alley or too far from the net to poach. Lastly there were a few times people were standing flatfooted; as soon as the ball came to them, the ball played them.

OP: If you were the guy with the RDS001, your serve looked good. Your volleys could use work as you seem to limp wrist your volleys. Also, you seem to run through your volleys; if you can check yourself (read: split step) before the returner makes contact, you'd have a bit more control on the volley.

Djokovicfan4life
04-09-2008, 05:54 AM
I like the serve and volleying! :) Not a lot of youngsters with the guts to do that nowadays. Personally I like to serve and volley on my second serves to try and catch my opponents by surprise, my first serves are hard enough that I can rely on my partner to put away a weak reply.

I did notice a few lunges at the net to hit a backhand volley. This is one of my biggest pet peeves in tennis. Just let your partner hit the groundstroke, chances are it will be much more effective than an out of position backhand volley floater.

Good luck!

futuretoptenner
04-09-2008, 07:02 AM
I like the serve and volleying! :) Not a lot of youngsters with the guts to do that nowadays. Personally I like to serve and volley on my second serves to try and catch my opponents by surprise, my first serves are hard enough that I can rely on my partner to put away a weak reply.

I did notice a few lunges at the net to hit a backhand volley. This is one of my biggest pet peeves in tennis. Just let your partner hit the groundstroke, chances are it will be much more effective than an out of position backhand volley floater.

Good luck!

I agree, try not to cut across too much. Your partner would have got a nice short ball on both of those you poached and missed. If you see the opportunity take it but only if you 100% , those were already below the level of the net.

gunbuster
04-09-2008, 08:01 AM
Yep that's me with the RDS 001 -- that's pretty indicative of my play during the game. I usually serve well and get weak responses ... but my volleys aren't very good to take advantage. I keep with it though, because I want to play attacking doubles.

In singles play, I prefer to mix it up, either bang away from the baseline or mix in a S&V from time to time.

Anyway, my goal is to climb out from 3.5 this year. I think my strokes (sans volleys) are there, but my match play still doesn't show it.

crawl4
04-11-2008, 12:55 AM
like other people have said you have a good serve, what i like about it is your lift off and how your feet are in unison, great work. Im with you here as i am not much of a volleyer myself and am looking to improve..keep it up though

Solat
04-11-2008, 04:11 AM
that dud half-volley drop shot, dodgy lob, mis-hit smash was definitely my favourite point