PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on Tennis Lessons by James Jensen

Sentinel
04-09-2008, 02:24 AM
Has anyone here been thru the Pro Tennis lessons of Jensen.

The "PRO TENNIS LESSONS" COMPLETE 10 DVD BOXED SET, Starring USPTA Pro James Jensen Includes:

1. ULTIMATE FOREHAND
2. ULTIMATE BACKHAND
3. ULTIMATE SERVE
4. ULTIMATE VOLLEYS AND NET GAME
5. ULTIMATE KILLER ANGLE SHOTS
6. ULTIMATE LOBS AND DROP SHOTS
7. ULTIMATE RETURN OF SERVE, Strategy and Tactics
8. ULTIMATE SINGLES, Strategy and Tactics for Men & Women
9. ULTIMATE WINNING DOUBLES, Strategy and Tactics for Men & Women
10. ULTIMATE FAULTS & FIXES, Over 100 tips Designed to immediately improve your all court game!

I would like some feedback before I download these. They are huge files (3-4 GB). Thanks.

cyrosceals
04-09-2008, 02:32 AM
Yeah. They are ok. I bought the first 5 at $5 each at a cd sale. I must warn you though, there is a LOT of reiteration and repeating. So for 1hr of talking, you only learn 5 min worth of stuff. But where do you download them?

Sentinel
04-09-2008, 02:40 AM
Yeah. They are ok. I bought the first 5 at $5 each at a cd sale. I must warn you though, there is a LOT of reiteration and repeating. So for 1hr of talking, you only learn 5 min worth of stuff. But where do you download them?

They are available on the tennistorrent site. My disk is running short of space, so 3-4 GB is a big deal. I have already gone thru the FYB site and am wondering if they add any more value.

Thanks for the quick reply.

cyrosceals
04-09-2008, 02:44 AM
FYB is probably the better choice. The worst cd(in my opinion) is the serve. It just talks about flat, slice and topspin and basic hitting (7-1 etc). It doesnt tell you about things like pronation etc.

Sentinel
04-09-2008, 02:49 AM
FYB is probably the better choice. The worst cd(in my opinion) is the serve. It just talks about flat, slice and topspin and basic hitting (7-1 etc). It doesnt tell you about things like pronation etc.
haha, the serve is the one I had in mind. Thanks a LOT. You've saved me a great deal of bother :-)

fsannuto
04-13-2008, 07:57 PM
The ultimate forehand is OK, the rest of the cd's are total garbage. All he does is talk, with tons and tons of useless repetition. Do not waste your hard earned dollars on those cd's.

Sentinel
04-13-2008, 08:07 PM
Thanks, I'll just stick to FYB. They are great and so it hi-tech tennis.

btw, my dollars aren't hard-earned. I inherited a few mill from my grandfather who ran a Nigerian scam! :-D

lethalfang
04-14-2008, 12:10 AM

Agreed. When I was watching that video, I was so tired of hearing the same thing over and over and over, I stopped watching.

ti286
08-16-2010, 03:15 PM
The videos are obviously stretched out to result in 10 total DVDs, but at their core there is a lot of valuable info on them.

I know how to watch all 10 free. PM me for details.

xr3fgb
08-18-2010, 01:05 PM
i would prefer a video on Tennis Lessons by Jenna Jameson.

xr3fgb
08-18-2010, 01:07 PM
Agreed. When I was watching that video, I was so tired of hearing the same thing over and over and over, I stopped watching.

however, this same concept may also apply to a Jenna Jameson tennis video.

Winky
08-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Funny, I have the Jensen serve vid paused in another window. FYB is way better,.... waaaaaay better. All the FYB progression vids are, IMHO, the best video tennis tutorial out there, and I've watched a lot. My serve went from laughable to respectable in less than a week with the FYB serve vid. I wasn't keeping my palm face down at the beginning of the backswing... couldn't tell in the vids I took of myself.. once I saw Hamilton say "palm down!" on the serve progression vid I had an epiphany and my serve got 5x better overnight.

thebuffman
08-18-2010, 02:12 PM
the best serve video that i've seen is pat dougherty's "The Serve Doctor". FYB is a close second. Dougherty is definitely #1 in my book.

Winky
08-18-2010, 03:14 PM
the best serve video that i've seen is pat dougherty's "The Serve Doctor". FYB is a close second. Dougherty is definitely #1 in my book.

Interesting, I checked him out online and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixx-MCC7D88

Don't really care for it. It's very, very different from serves of the modern era and looks strange to me. Might be genius, but I'd have to see more of it to really want to serve like that.

theZig
08-18-2010, 03:21 PM
if I had the ultimate everything, I'd enter some ATP tournaments, not make videos.. hmm

Winky
08-18-2010, 03:28 PM
These instructors don't have the ultimate everything. But they do have it well enough that they (most of them) can teach it. Instructors are rarely great players, and great players rarely can teach.

GetBetterer
08-18-2010, 04:04 PM
"Ultimate" is a strong word, and in my opinion is sort of an arrogant word and once I see it, unless they're a professional player somewhere in the top 20's in today's game, I...I just can't respect them.

adlis
08-18-2010, 06:45 PM
The ultimate forehand is OK, the rest of the cd's are total garbage. All he does is talk, with tons and tons of useless repetition. Do not waste your hard earned dollars on those cd's.

I agree. Who is this James Jensen anyway? A random country club coach who decided to teach the world his Ultimate "pro strokes"??

There's 20 minutes of tennis footage in each Video the rest of the DVD is made up of James chatting excessively and over complicating the simplest strokes. That clown explains the art of tossing a ball for ten minutes...
Does he need to break down the serve into a Heart bypass procedure.

Nick Bollettieris video collection (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Nick_Bollettieri_Killer_Forehand_Video/descpageKINETIC-NBVKFH.html) is better. I brought the tapes back in 02 because i couldn't afford a coach.
Simple clear explanations with smart graphical visualizations NOT a lord of the rings trilogy.

Ask yourself who would you listen to? Nick who coached the greats such as Aggasi, Sharapova, williams sisters or a nobody who chats more than Brad Gilbert and plays with a tweener racket ?

Winky
08-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Just watched the Jensen forehand vid and it was all right. I think I'm going to do an abbreviated backswing like he suggests. All the youtube vids, including FYB, show a long looping backswing which is what I've been using since I started. But I think I'll try the abbreviated one because it looks like it's something that can be grooved easily and my forehand needs work.