PDA

View Full Version : How long to leave before clamping the string.. ?

downey stringing master
04-09-2008, 05:44 AM
how long should you generally leave before clamping the strings.. i leave about 30secs to 60secs.. for the tension to settle.. gets rid of vibrations.. and weave/thread the next main/cross and get the clamps in position.

is this too long ?

nickb
04-09-2008, 05:46 AM
eh? :shock:

You should clamp right away....

I think you need to change your user name :)

iplaybetter
04-09-2008, 05:46 AM
sounds long, but as long as it is consistent you are fine

YULitle
04-09-2008, 05:49 AM
yeah, 30 seconds is quite a while. But as long as it's the same everytime.

downey stringing master
04-09-2008, 05:55 AM
the only reason i do this.. on some squash rackets only with multi's a reall ping and vibration happens.. if i leave it a long time for everystrings.. its only takes me 25-35 mins still easy, i guesss on a pro's pro machine can be dodgey. however.. im getting my WISE 2086 tomo :D and will clamp fast :) im so excited about it

downey stringing master
04-09-2008, 05:56 AM

i am a stringing master ;) im consistent and accurate and a string for an MRT in the uk ;) he has no time to string =]

supermario343
04-09-2008, 06:08 AM
haha the name...oh too funny you guys

downey stringing master
04-09-2008, 06:11 AM
ok "mr middle tension club" .

Bubba
04-09-2008, 06:17 AM
i am a stringing master ;) im consistent and accurate and a string for an MRT in the uk ;) he has no time to string =]

Sounds like a Serf Apprentice... not Master :)

downey stringing master
04-09-2008, 06:19 AM
okay. my new name should be.. ?
no one else is excited im remvamping my machine with the wise which is coming tomo ? =[

nickb
04-09-2008, 06:26 AM

Wow...I feel sorry for the MRT's customers.

downey stringing master
04-09-2008, 07:31 AM
nick, i hope your'e having a light joke. what makes you say i am a bad stringer then ? i dont string for his customers i just do his racket. because he has a job .. plus rackets froma shop to do. i cant be be then can i ?

nickb
04-09-2008, 08:01 AM
nick, i hope your'e having a light joke. what makes you say i am a bad stringer then ? i dont string for his customers i just do his racket. because he has a job .. plus rackets froma shop to do. i cant be be then can i ?

I was not joking...

Just from this thread I can see you dont have a clue about stringing rackets..

Nick

phamster
04-09-2008, 08:04 AM

LOL ROFL

phamster

Vitaly Evchenkov
04-09-2008, 09:09 AM
I was not joking...

Just from this thread I can see you dont have a clue about stringing rackets..

Nick

harsh... but true, DowneyStringingYoungGrasshopper!!!! :)

Bubba
04-09-2008, 10:36 AM
harsh... but true, DowneyStringingYoungGrasshopper!!!! :)

Wax On, Wax Off.

downey stringing master
04-09-2008, 11:57 AM
haha not quite, so for squash rackets.. when you clamp immediatly there were a few vibrations like the guy with the x one biphase made a post about..WHO LIKES A PINGY SQUASH RACKET? .. and i solve the problem by leaving time before clamping its obviously solved because the strings does not ping.... (sorry for sloving my problem ?)No clue about stringing ? i have no idea where you get that from , i bet you have something to hide and a pretty poor yourself. So after 3 years of stringing and 1 year 4 months of stringing for two clubs i have strung 460 something rackets.. and do about 4 per day.. i string for england Kia National Club League Division One players for my club, they are all loving theyre sticks, i string for a squash club and coaches there they all like my service. so i have no idea? i think... KNOW i do . so a 25 -35 min job is bad ? although its accurate, safe,consistent. right, think someone needs to go to basic training (Y)

nickb
04-09-2008, 12:04 PM
haha not quite, so for squash rackets.. when you clamp immediatly there were a few vibrations like the guy with the x one biphase made a post about..WHO LIKES A PINGY SQUASH RACKET? .. and i solve the problem by leaving time before clamping its obviously solved because the strings does not ping.... (sorry for sloving my problem ?)No clue about stringing ? i have no idea where you get that from , i bet you have something to hide and a pretty poor yourself. So after 3 years of stringing and 1 year 4 months of stringing for two clubs i have strung 460 something rackets.. and do about 4 per day.. i string for england Kia National Club League Division One players for my club, they are all loving theyre sticks, i string for a squash club and coaches there they all like my service. so i have no idea? i think... KNOW i do.

LOL please shut up..

Saying that waiting 30 seconds reduces vibration is just stupid...

I can see from your signature you have a very high opinion of yourself...

Jonnyf
04-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Wow...I feel sorry for the MRT's customers.

Hey, I've had some rackets up here that "Downey" has strung. I'm confident he strung them himself since he's shown me the frame beforehand unstrung then strung a couple of hours later on camera. All the sticks came up string well. Didn't see any c0ck-ups etc.

nickb
04-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Not sure what your talking about?

Why would he take a picture?

Nick

Jonnyf
04-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Not sure what your talking about?

Why would he take a picture?

Nick

He took pictures when I was buying frames from him.

downey stringing master
04-09-2008, 12:12 PM
well it solved the problem for ME and so what its a bad thing leave 30 secs? getting my wise tomo so should be able to clamp quickly. you seem to be high opinionated of your self to telling people they are ****. so you could of maybe been a bit more normal than mr cocky old nick and explain why my method is bad unsafe or whatever.

nickb
04-09-2008, 12:15 PM
well it solved the problem for ME and so what its a bad thing leave 30 secs? getting my wise tomo so should be able to clamp quickly. you seem to be high opinionated of your self to telling people they are ****. so you could of maybe been a bit more normal than mr cocky old nick and explain why my method is bad unsafe or whatever.

bad, unsafe or whatever :shock:?

I dont understand why you would leave the string for 30 seconds...it makes no sense.

You pull tension then clamp the string right away..simple. If you have a crank thats even worse...god knows how much tension is lost over 60 seconds of the string just sitting there.

Im not cocky.

Just look at your signature...why the hell would you put wins and losses on there?? Who were you playing 80 year old women?!

Nick

downey stringing master
04-09-2008, 12:17 PM
i find the same as when a usrsa strung for me i love my stick all my customers do. this is only for two rackets which i previously had problems with.. string x one 1.18 on a tf 140 squash racket.. had vibrations just like the guys other thread .. i though lets take my time in stead of stringing for 20 min rackets.. and wahey no vibrations. it solved my problem. this makes me have no clue sorting out a problem which i identified?

could be a dodgey patch of strings... but this seems to fix the cause and cause no time delay.

nickb
04-09-2008, 12:20 PM
i find the same as when a usrsa strung for me i love my stick all my customers do. this is only for two rackets which i previously had problems with.. string x one 1.18 on a tf 140 squash racket.. had vibrations just like the guys other thread .. i though lets take my time in stead of stringing for 20 min rackets.. and wahey no vibrations. it solved my problem. this makes me have no clue sorting out a problem which i identified?

I dont wish to continue this with you...its just a waste of my time.

I have no clue how taking your time solves a vibration...its just a load of rubbish.

Feel free to spread word about your new amazing stringing method that reduces vibration.

Bye.

downey stringing master
04-09-2008, 12:29 PM
bye mate (:

lethalfang
04-09-2008, 12:57 PM
If it's on a lockout machine, then there is really no point waiting.
If it's a constant pull machine....... then it's fine but you're spending too much time.

tlm
04-09-2008, 07:39 PM
When i use my dropweight machine i will wait + even push down slightly on the main being pulled, then the weight will drop down a little so i can get another click out of the ratchet to level out the arm.I string at high tension so i want the string to be stretched+ pulled tight.

Then while pulling the x's i will slide the x's string being pulled in line, which will also end up dropping the arm, so usually i get 1 more click on the ratchet to level out the arm.I find that this method works real good especially if you like a tight stringbed.

SW Stringer
04-10-2008, 08:49 AM
haha not quite, so for squash rackets.. when you clamp immediatly there were a few vibrations like the guy with the x one biphase made a post about..WHO LIKES A PINGY SQUASH RACKET? .. and i solve the problem by leaving time before clamping its obviously solved because the strings does not ping.... (sorry for sloving my problem ?)No clue about stringing ? i have no idea where you get that from , i bet you have something to hide and a pretty poor yourself. So after 3 years of stringing and 1 year 4 months of stringing for two clubs i have strung 460 something rackets.. and do about 4 per day.. i string for england Kia National Club League Division One players for my club, they are all loving theyre sticks, i string for a squash club and coaches there they all like my service. so i have no idea? i think... KNOW i do . so a 25 -35 min job is bad ? although its accurate, safe,consistent. right, think someone needs to go to basic training (Y)

DSM: What you've described to solve your problem is a prestretch - one main at a time, one cross at a time. I have a couple of suggestions that will accomplish the same thing (solve the pingy racquet problem) AND save time. #1: Prestretch the whole coil before using. Tie one end to a doorknob,etc and the other end to a tension calibrator (or digital fish scale), then pull from the opposite end of the calibrator (or handle of fish scale). Hold the desired tension (for squash should be less than 35lbs?) for your 30 or 60 seconds. Now install as normal without the long hold times for each string. #2: Increase the reference tension 10 to 20% (this may take some experimentation) and clamp as soon as tension is reached.

Note: What you've stumbled upon to solve the problem and the two suggestion above do is to increase the string bed stiffness. In the long run that's what you need to calibrate your procedure. See what SBS is needed to eliminate the pingy racquet by using an RDC, ERT, or Marc's Freqmess program (available at stringforum dot net for free). Good luck!

downey stringing master
04-10-2008, 01:08 PM
hi thanks for that.. i have been resently prestretching.. against a round .. table leg :D .. .i got my wise 2086 today and use 10% prestretch.. and clamp straight away. :) i knew there was logic somewhere in my idea, after that slating from nick b.

04-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Can you pro's pro handle it? I very much doubt it can as many have need to upgraded the mounting system for the wise