PDA

View Full Version : Keeping balls at Davis Cup?

IanRichardson
04-09-2008, 08:16 AM
I heard a commentator at Miami say that the ATP had changed the rules and you can now keep balls that come into the stands. Does anyone know if this applies to Davis Cup as well? I highly doubt a ball will wind up where I am sitting, but on the offhand chance it happens would I be able to keep it?

Ronaldo
04-09-2008, 08:32 AM
I heard a commentator at Miami say that the ATP had changed the rules and you can now keep balls that come into the stands. Does anyone know if this applies to Davis Cup as well? I highly doubt a ball will wind up where I am sitting, but on the offhand chance it happens would I be able to keep it?

You'll find out firsthand. Hold up a TW sign

kalika
04-09-2008, 10:08 AM
I never understood that rule. Could someone explain why you weren't allowed before?

Raoul_Duke
04-09-2008, 10:10 AM
And who can stop me from keeping the ball?!

Huh?!

:D

Moose Malloy
04-09-2008, 10:14 AM
I heard a commentator at Miami say that the ATP had changed the rules and you can now keep balls that come into the stands.

Did you hear the rest of what that commentator(mary carillo) said? Turns out she was wrong, they only do that at the USO & she assumed incorrectly that this the case in Miami as well(right after she said it, you saw a shot of the guy throwing it back, & the crowd booing that he had to)

I never understood that rule. Could someone explain why you weren't allowed before?

Well, they change balls after every 9 games, so introducing a new ball in between that period, would change the players' 'feel' for the ball, as balls change a bit over the course of 9 games. But I doubt most players really care(though I do recall Agassi getting annoyed once when his opponent gave a ball back to a fan that was forced to throw it back, asking the umpire why he allowed it)

Ronaldo
04-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Did you hear the rest of what that commentator(mary carillo) said? Turns out she was wrong, they only do that at the USO & she assumed incorrectly that this the case in Miami as well(right after she said it, you saw a shot of the guy throwing it back, & the crowd booing that he had to)

Well, they change balls after every 9 games, so introducing a new ball in between that period, would change the players' 'feel' for the ball, as balls change a bit over the course of 9 games. But I doubt most players really care(though I do recall Agassi getting annoyed once when his opponent gave a ball back to a fan that was forced to throw it back, asking the umpire why he allowed it)

Take in an old ball, a Tretorn, in your pocket and throw that one back

Eviscerator
04-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Did you hear the rest of what that commentator (mary carillo) said? Turns out she was wrong

Mary Carrilo was wrong about something?

That is hard to believe :mrgreen:

sargeinaz
04-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Thats a dumb rule, it's good they changed it. Players shouldn't be that anal.
________
Mmi medical marijuana (http://dispensaries.org)

diggler
04-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Fans should keep balls. They have 6. You lose 1, you still have 5. It is hard to believe you could lose 5 of the 6 within 9 games.

uni
04-10-2008, 05:42 AM
well i know at the US OPEN, on the outer courts, when the match is over you can just ask the chair umpire for a ball and if they are nice enough they will give you one. Also ballboys have sometimes given out a couple of balls (At least i have)