PDA

View Full Version : The wall

zebano
04-09-2008, 08:27 AM
My hitting partners back is injured so I'm left to practice on my own. I remember about a year ago there was a post (by BB?) about drills to do with a wall. Can anyone link me to that, I can't find it via search.

GS
04-09-2008, 08:48 AM
When hitting against a wall, it's best to warm up by letting the ball bounce 2 times before coming back to you, and get into a rhythm. After that, you can just blast away (for the exercise), but concentrate on your strokes, especially your backhand. Put a small square of tape 4 feet up on the wall, and let that be your target to hit to.

Fay
04-09-2008, 02:06 PM
sorry I don't have a link but the idea of letting the ball bounce twice to warm up is good. I then start with volleys and as I get more warmed up I move back and hit harder. I have one coach tell me to work from 25 consecutive no misses on FH and BH to 100, then to alternate B & F with each shot working up to 100. You can built a slant board to work on volleys at home if you have a yard.

I have a nifty exercise a CA coach told me ... I stand at the net (when I need to warm up fast and have no wall), a few feet away, you'll figure the distance out depending upon your power, and hit the net near the top not far from the pole, the middle being too soft, and let the ball bounced twice and get into a rhythm with that. That helped groove my FH, I need to do a lot more of the exercise (with "lift") for my BH.

Milarepa
04-09-2008, 02:32 PM
http://www.tennisserver.com/turbo/turbo_08_02.html

chess9
04-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Yes, that was a great post by Bill.

It was a timed test that you can re-take and try to improve your score. Roughly, it went something like this.

Standing 6 feet from the wall, hit 50 volleys with your forehand while timing it. Don't let the ball bounce. Then do 50 with your backhand and time it. Then alternate forehands and backhands and time it.

Then, step off about 15 feet from the wall and hit 50 forehands, letting the ball bounce only once. Time it. Ditto for backhands, then ditto for alternating backhands and forehands. Time those.

Add up all your times, and that's your score. Try to score LOWER the next time.

This is roughly it, but maybe BB will feel like reposting the correct version.

-Robert

Bungalo Bill
04-09-2008, 02:49 PM
When hitting against a wall, it's best to warm up by letting the ball bounce 2 times before coming back to you, and get into a rhythm.

After that, you can just blast away (for the exercise), but concentrate on your strokes, especially your backhand. Put a small square of tape 4 feet up on the wall, and let that be your target to hit to.

If you are saying "blast away" literally, sorry, this is not a good way to use the wall. You do not have enough reference or indication whether what you are doing (blasting away) is actually in the court!

The purpose of the wall is to sustain a rally, one you can control, while developing yo ur footwork and stroke. This means that the ball you hit against the wall is hit so that you can handle the next ball and the next ball.

Obviously, everyone will have a different pace to control. Even good players on court who do not use the wall often may have to slow it down a bit so they can develop consistency, etc... and increase the pace from there.

Bungalo Bill
04-09-2008, 02:59 PM
My hitting partners back is injured so I'm left to practice on my own. I remember about a year ago there was a post (by BB?) about drills to do with a wall. Can anyone link me to that, I can't find it via search.

Here it is:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=3537&highlight=wall+drill

Now, do you want me to hit the ball for you also? (I was kidding! Really I was just kidding, please don't flame up on me and start calling me names, it hurts my feelings. Stay cool and calm, it was just a little humor.) :)

Have fun, let me know how you did!

zebano
04-10-2008, 06:49 AM
Here it is:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=3537&highlight=wall+drill

Now, do you want me to hit the ball for you also? (I was kidding! Really I was just kidding, please don't flame up on me and start calling me names, it hurts my feelings. Stay cool and calm, it was just a little humor.) :)

Have fun, let me know how you did!

Excellent, thanks. It rained yesterday and it's raining now, but once this blasted weather clears out I'll try it.

Regarding hitting, does the score count for me if you hit it??? ;)

junbumkim
04-10-2008, 07:08 AM
Obvioulsy B. Bill has given you excellent tips, but just 2 cents from my experience.

For me, hitting against wall is sort of like a double edged sword.

You can really work on areas on your game but also can mass up your technique if you start experimenting too much. I thought I discovered something on my bh slice which really didn't work on court..

My overhead used to suck (it still does), so whenever I had a chance to hit against the wall, I practiced my overhead. Once I was warmed up, I tried to hit as many as 10~15 overheads in a row off the wall.

Another area that I tried to work on was my swing speed off the both wings.
Once I was warmed up, I stood about service line length from the wall and hit against wall as fast and long as I could. Sort of like half-volley stroke practice.

Since the wall is such a consistent and kind partener that will return everything back at you, you should focus on developing consistency on your stroke. If your bh sucks, see if you can go 20~30 shots w/o missing.

Then, try to emulate a match situation where you are going as hard as possible and as long as possible..

zebano
04-10-2008, 07:14 AM
Obvioulsy B. Bill has given you excellent tips, but just 2 cents from my experience.

For me, hitting against wall is sort of like a double edged sword.

You can really work on areas on your game but also can mass up your technique if you start experimenting too much. I thought I discovered something on my bh slice which really didn't work on court..

My overhead used to suck (it still does), so whenever I had a chance to hit against the wall, I practiced my overhead. Once I was warmed up, I tried to hit as many as 10~15 overheads in a row off the wall.

Another area that I tried to work on was my swing speed off the both wings.
Once I was warmed up, I stood about service line length from the wall and hit against wall as fast and long as I could. Sort of like half-volley stroke practice.

Since the wall is such a consistent and kind partener that will return everything back at you, you should focus on developing consistency on your stroke. If your bh sucks, see if you can go 20~30 shots w/o missing.

Then, try to emulate a match situation where you are going as hard as possible and as long as possible..

How do you practice overheads with a wall? Do you hit one shot with upward trajectory off the wall; Slam it then repeat?

http://www.tennisserver.com/turbo/turbo_08_02.html suggests bouncing off the ground then the wall to set up overhead practice.

junbumkim
04-10-2008, 07:17 AM
You hit a overhead into the ground about 1 ~ 2 feet away from the ball, then the ball bounces off the ground into the wall and come back up.

You need to have a pretty good snap on the ball to make it come off the wall high.

Obviously you can't make it bounce off very high from the beginning. But as you put momentum, you can make it bounche it pretty high.

Supernatural_Serve
04-10-2008, 07:27 AM
The purpose of the wall is to sustain a rally, one you can control, while developing yo ur footwork and stroke. This means that the ball you hit against the wall is hit so that you can handle the next ball and the next ball.That's exactly how one should think about using the wall. Additionally, I like to push my limits though.

For each groundstroke drill, the first handful of balls are nice and easy - pure form, (like moving closer and playing mini tennis), then for 80% of the drill I keep moving back working in my groove, eventually working more and more spin into my strokes, and then the final 10-20% or so of the drill I progressively move quicker, moving forward a step or so stealing more time pressuring my footwork, preparation, and swing yet maintaining all the muscle memory control that I just grooved, until the control breaks down.

It can be exhilirating, playing under control for a short burst at extreme tempos and I feel that it translates directly to the court in match play.

Then, onto the next drill, nice and easy...

Supernatural_Serve
04-10-2008, 07:31 AM
You hit a overhead into the ground about 1 ~ 2 feet away from the ball, then the ball bounces off the ground into the wall and come back up.

You need to have a pretty good snap on the ball to make it come off the wall high.

Obviously you can't make it bounce off very high from the beginning. But as you put momentum, you can make it bounche it pretty high.1 - 2 feet. It doesn't have to be that accurate, anything hit reasonably hard up to several feet will work.

That's a good technique for working on chasing down the wall's lobs over one's head too.

Bungalo Bill
04-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Excellent, thanks. It rained yesterday and it's raining now, but once this blasted weather clears out I'll try it.

Regarding hitting, does the score count for me if you hit it??? ;)

Hahaha, good humorous response. I really don't think you would want me to hit it. I think you are probably way better then I am.