PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to hit a flat powerful serve with an eastern backhand grip?

millenium
04-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Or must you use a continental grip to get a flat powerful serve?
The reason why i am asking is that i can serve with both grips but i think with the continetal grip i get more power. But i was wondering if you can get the same power on a flat serve if you use a eastern backhand grip ?

Vision84
04-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Well I don't know about you but I can't pronate enough to get the racket flat. Even if I could I would put to much strain on my wrist.

Djokovicfan4life
04-09-2008, 09:39 AM
Stick to continental for flat serves.

Rickson
04-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Or must you use a continental grip to get a flat powerful serve?
The reason why i am asking is that i can serve with both grips but i think with the continetal grip i get more power. But i was wondering if you can get the same power on a flat serve if you use a eastern backhand grip ?

Yeah, definitely. A continental isn't a do all grip.

seb85
04-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Whatever you do, don't change grips for different serves- people WILL notice!

And i think i noticed that Djokovic uses an eastern backhand grip for serves- maybe someone can confirm? Theoretically, you should be able to do it. Personally I prefer continental for all serves.

Seb

Rickson
04-09-2008, 09:45 AM

I think it's acceptable for 1st and 2nd serves, don't you? Who's gonna be shocked that a 2nd serve turns out to be a kick serve?

Djokovicfan4life
04-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Changing grips shouldn't really give away anything unless you're playing at the 5.0 level or higher.

watermantra
04-09-2008, 09:49 AM

I disagree with this. Folks may be able to see, but unless you're at pro level, you're going to broadcast the serve more with your toss placement than with your grip change.

Not only that, but I can see if a serve is going to be flat or kicked or sliced based on the serve motion. You usually have ample time to react based on that observation.

I personally cannot hit a good kick serve with the same grip I use to hit a flat or slice serve.

seb85
04-09-2008, 10:19 AM
I disagree with the philosophy of grip changing in general. I like to be able to choose whatever serve i want to hit whether its a first or second serve. I never put the heater in on first serves for the whole match- it becomes too easy to return. Likewise i would never hit a kicker all the time for second serves.

I don't really belive that there is a rigid distinction between first and second serves and for this reason i don't change my grip between them. The type of serve to hit in a given situation depends on many varying factors.

I know a lot of folks like to change grips between first and second serves- fair enough if you want to- but i don't think its a good thing to build in as a habit unless you find you cant do what you want to do without it.

Comments about ball toss placement are fair enough- that gives it away too. However I've been in matches before where opponents realise that I'm guessing their serves right and have subsequently thrown the toss the other way to confuse me. It would be hard to do the same with grips.

So a question to all you grip changers out there. If you wanted to hit a kick or twist first serve would you change to an EBH grip for that serve?

Rickson
04-09-2008, 10:25 AM
EBH mostly, but I've been known to go as far as a western backhand grip for 2nd serves.

Bungalo Bill
04-09-2008, 10:27 AM
I disagree with this. Folks may be able to see, but unless you're at pro level, you're going to broadcast the serve more with your toss placement than with your grip change.

I can not disagree with you here. I also think Seb has made a reasonable if not lessor claim in reading the serve as well.

This is especially true if I notice a player moving to an eastern backhand grip. It pretty much means a spin serve. Now the toss and other "give-aways" simply support that observation.

seb85
04-09-2008, 12:09 PM
EBH mostly, but I've been known to go as far as a western backhand grip for 2nd serves.

Assuming this was in reply to my question about spin first serves, this illustrates my point perfectly. If you did this once i would then know for the rest of the match that grip change= spin first serve. Advantage of surprise lost.

Vision84
04-09-2008, 03:09 PM
I thought this thread was about hitting serves flat with an eastern backhand grip not whether you can just hit a serve or not.

I use an eastern backhand grip for kick serves, continental for flat and continental for slice. Is anyone capable of hitting a flat serve with an eastern backhand?

Tennisman912
04-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Millenium,

You cannot use a forehand grip to serve an effective flat serve. You must be using continental or very, very close to it. Not one advanced player uses the forehand grip to serve. If you don't care about improving your game you can keep using the forehand grip to serve. But it is a major hindrance to your improvement and will keep you from advancing above 4.0. Even being a 4.0 will be tough depending on your area.

Not using the continental grip is one of the worst serve faults you can have. I urge you to change depending on your aspirations.

TM

Noisy Ninja
04-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Millenium,

You cannot use a forehand grip to serve an effective flat serve. You must be using continental or very, very close to it. Not one advanced player uses the forehand grip to serve. If you don't care about improving your game you can keep using the forehand grip to serve. But it is a major hindrance to your improvement and will keep you from advancing above 4.0. Even being a 4.0 will be tough depending on your area.

Not using the continental grip is one of the worst serve faults you can have. I urge you to change depending on your aspirations.

TM

Re-read the OP carefully. He is asking if it's possible to hit a flat serve with
EASTERN BACKHAND GRIP. Good intentions...just need to read more carefully before dispensing advice.