PDA

View Full Version : Do You Pre-stretch Polys?

BigT
04-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Why Or Why Not?

BigT
04-09-2008, 01:00 PM
at a few pro tourneys (Vegas and Indian Wells), I saw some stringers pre-stretching, others not. Whats the deal???

Tim W
04-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Maybe some pros want their strings pre-stretched. The only thing I pre-stretch is Gut.

miniRafa386
04-09-2008, 05:52 PM
NO. idk why, but ive heard/read everywhere, EVERYWHERE, not to prestretch it. you can prestretch anything else BUT poly. why, idk.

TenniseaWilliams
04-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Try it. Some people think poly only plays well fresh. Some like it broke in. Pre-stretch skips right to very broke in. This is different than just being stiffer. Personally, I think poly is magic only if gently strung at low tensions and not pre-stretched. To each his own, but almost everyone agrees it plays noticeably different. Most also agree it is much harder on your arm to play with it well broken in (myself included)

Wondertoy
04-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Pre-stretching poly leads to premature breakage....ill advised.

jonolau
04-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Pre-stretching will make it lose it's tensile properties, thus making the string more brittle and increases chances of snapping during play.

BigApple
04-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Pre-stretching will make it lose it's tensile properties, thus making the string more brittle and increases chances of snapping during play.

Jonolau,

I'm curious to hear why you think that pre-stretching will make the string more brittle.

I used to think this way, but I've come to realize that you can't really exert enough force while pre-stretching to damage the string in this way. A pre-stretch does not put enough force that would be detrimental to a poly IMO

-BA

jonolau
04-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Jonolau,

I'm curious to hear why you think that pre-stretching will make the string more brittle.

I used to think this way, but I've come to realize that you can't really exert enough force while pre-stretching to damage the string in this way. A pre-stretch does not put enough force that would be detrimental to a poly IMO

-BA

Polyester strings are stiffer than nylon (synthetic gut). So when it's pre-stretched, this elongates it and since polyester has less elasticity, it thins it out and streches the bonds in the polymer.

Pre-stretching puts stress on the string thus bringing it closer to threshold of its tensile strength. When you tension it a second time, it would put even more stress on the already stressed string. Add on the sudden shocks when the ball hits the string and the impact will stress the bonds even more.

I'm talking from a commonsensical point of view, but it has also been proven to be true for customers I've done pre-stretching for.

Using the exact same string and tension with each stringing, the pre-stretched string has lower durability and only lasts 50-70% compared to normally tensioned string.

Hope this helps.

bsandy
04-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Polyester strings are stiffer than nylon (synthetic gut). So when it's pre-stretched, this elongates it and since polyester has less elasticity, it thins it out and streches the bonds in the polymer.

Pre-stretching puts stress on the string thus bringing it closer to threshold of its tensile strength. When you tension it a second time, it would put even more stress on the already stressed string. Add on the sudden shocks when the ball hits the string and the impact will stress the bonds even more.

Isn't most of this true for Nylon and NG.

IMO . . . Prestretching is not going to take anything more away from the string, than the first 3 or 4 good hits will.

If you want another opinion on what Pre-Stretching does to a Poly go here . . . http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/ALUSTR/ALUSTRReview.html

. . . Bud

jonolau
04-11-2008, 03:06 AM
Isn't most of this true for Nylon and NG.

IMO . . . Prestretching is not going to take anything more away from the string, than the first 3 or 4 good hits will.

If you want another opinion on what Pre-Stretching does to a Poly go here . . . http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/ALUSTR/ALUSTRReview.html

. . . Bud
It's the type of polymers used. Polyester strings are stiffer than nylon and NG and therefore have less elasticity.

Double Fault
04-11-2008, 04:02 AM
I just started prestretching PHT17 20% and I can't really tell the difference other than it is not as stiff. There's still plenty of bounce on the string and it does not feel dead as it usually does 1 week into the string job.

Wondertoy
04-11-2008, 06:50 AM
PolyStar , Signum Pro and Luxilon advises not to pre-stretch their polys.

downey stringing master
04-11-2008, 08:07 AM
will a 10% prestretch on a wise hurt PHT 17 ?

BigT
04-11-2008, 01:52 PM

True. About 1 in 10 of my jobs pre-stretched snapped on a mishit. However, the ones that lasted played well for at least a week. The jobs not pre-stretched completely lost there control after about 3 days. Made me wonder, what's the good of a long lasting poly if it doesn't play well? Those were with Gosen Polylon SP 17.... I am thinking of trying others...any suggestions?