PDA

View Full Version : Daniela Klemenschits dies at age 25

Eviscerator
04-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Vienna -

Daniela Klemenschits, 25, one of Austria's leading tennis players, died Tuesday night from cancer, Austria's tennis association confirmed on Wednesday. Klemenschits, who was born on November 13, 1982, and her twin sister Sandra had been the country's strongest double players, their top position was 95 in the doubles world ranking.

The Austrian tennis federation said Wednesday that Klemenschits and her twin sister Sandra were diagnosed with a rare form of abdominal cancer in January last year, forcing them to retire.

Sandra Klemenschits' condition had been improving recently, reports said.

WTA players had donated more than 70,000 dollars towards helping to meet the costs for the sisters' medical treatment.Daniela had several tumors removed and required expensive medical care. Roger Federer, Marat Safin, Justine Henin, Amelie Mauresmo, Martina Hingis and others donated items for an online auction in June to raise funds for her treatment.

The Klemenschits sisters won 20 titles on the ITF circuit. Although they didnít win a WTA Tour event, they entered the top 100 of the WTA doubles ranking in 2005.
`

:cry: RIP

Fee
04-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Oh, that's just too sad. Far too young to die and her twin must be devastated. That poor family. :cry:

jmsx521
04-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Bad news. We hope the other sister recovers. I've never seen them play. Perhaps they were going to get even higher in the rankings.

l_gonzalez
04-09-2008, 11:58 AM
my sincere condolences to the family. a tragic and devastating loss.

ClubHoUno
04-09-2008, 11:59 AM
RIP 10char

PROTENNIS63
04-09-2008, 12:01 PM
That is terrible. Hope her sister will recover.

93sq.
04-09-2008, 12:21 PM
That's terrible...
RIP

Rickson
04-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Horribly sad! She was so young. R.I.P., Daniela.

nickynu
04-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Uggh don't know what to make of this, you know its heartrendingly sad and all the usual cliches. I guess although I dont know this person, you just feel as a tennis player at any level that you have an affinity with somebody who plays our game, somedody who understands the winning , the losing, the artistry, the dedication, frustration and all the rest. In some bizarre way you feel closer to them because they understand these emotions and you don't have to know them to believe this truth. So anybody who reads this thread take a minute to remember the time you felt happiest on court and feel that emotion wash over you again and then wish her and her family well - and smile because you understand too.

bigtennis
04-10-2008, 09:50 AM
This is terrible news. My prayers and condolences are with the family.

knasty131
04-10-2008, 10:47 AM
It always troubles me to see someone work so hard and then something like this happens to cut their life short. It is many of the posters here's dream to do thing that her and her sister have done and congrats to the both of them on making it but R.I.P Daniela.

Leublu tennis
04-10-2008, 11:33 AM
And I have not given a dollar to cancer research. I think I will change that very shortly.

uNIVERSE mAN
04-10-2008, 02:12 PM
never heard of her.

sureshs
04-10-2008, 02:56 PM
never heard of her.

Me neither

AznHylite
04-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Wow... this is heartbreaking :(. RIP

Deuce
04-11-2008, 01:25 AM
Uggh don't know what to make of this, you know its heartrendingly sad and all the usual cliches. I guess although I dont know this person, you just feel as a tennis player at any level that you have an affinity with somebody who plays our game, somedody who understands the winning , the losing, the artistry, the dedication, frustration and all the rest. In some bizarre way you feel closer to them because they understand these emotions and you don't have to know them to believe this truth. So anybody who reads this thread take a minute to remember the time you felt happiest on court and feel that emotion wash over you again and then wish her and her family well - and smile because you understand too.
Excellent post.
Brought a tear (or two) to my eye.

Thanks very much for writing it.

budkid
04-11-2008, 01:48 AM
never heard of her.

me three...but it is sad to hear from a fellow tennis player trying to make it big.

futuretoptenner
04-11-2008, 04:19 AM
OMG, That is terrible news. Rest In Peace.