PDA

View Full Version : Nadal & Federer - no title yet

daddy
04-09-2008, 03:00 PM
http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/2008news/clay_preview08.asp

Official ATP web page commented on the issue. This is the first time top two players are without a title in the first 3 months of the season. Still early days though but interesting stat anyways.

tennis_hand
04-09-2008, 06:11 PM
haha. ya. it is strange.

Lendl and Federer Fan
04-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Yeah, 2008 is one strange year so far.

Gerry
04-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Interesting that the same thing happened in '99 with Sampras (1) an Moya (2)...

Anyway, hopefully Estoril will put an end to Federer's title drought, not a fan, but i don't like the idea of seeing the #1 seed without titles in mid season. As for Nadal, well, he will surely win 2 or 3 titles during clay season.

G.

johnny ballgame
04-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Not even a final appearance for Fed.

edberg505
04-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Not even a final appearance for Fed.

Well it's obviously because Federer sucks.

veroniquem
04-10-2008, 05:38 AM
That would be a wild exageration. His level has dropped a little so far, that's all.

PROTENNIS63
04-10-2008, 07:00 AM
I am sure Nadal will get at least 2 titles during the clay court season, plus the FO if he plays well. As for Fed, he has to shape up and stop making erros.

Vision84
04-10-2008, 07:17 AM
Well we all know what is going on with Federer. And well for Nadal we all know what happens when we get to clay season ;).

Nadal_Freak
04-10-2008, 07:27 AM
Fed is on the decline and hardcourts are always tough for Rafa. Clay season, Fed will continue to decline and it is Rafa's time of the year. :)

Grimjack
04-10-2008, 08:37 AM
Usually, by this time of year, there has been exactly one tournament played on a surface that's agreeable to Fed. The AO. And he wins it.

That's no longer the case. They turned it into another pseudo-clay HC tournament like the spring US series.

Fed's fine. He'll dominate starting in June, just like every year.

Nadal still sucks everywhere but the dirt.

edberg505
04-10-2008, 10:34 AM
That would be a wild exageration. His level has dropped a little so far, that's all.

I was being facetious.

daddy
04-10-2008, 10:39 AM
I was being facetious.

Because of his previously set extremly high standards - you saying that he sucks this year - is surely more convincing as a truth than you being facetious.

fastdunn
04-10-2008, 10:56 AM
rest of field is catching up. and also they are getting younger.

sureshs
04-10-2008, 11:09 AM
They should both retire

Nadal_Freak
04-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Usually, by this time of year, there has been exactly one tournament played on a surface that's agreeable to Fed. The AO. And he wins it.

That's no longer the case. They turned it into another pseudo-clay HC tournament like the spring US series.

Fed's fine. He'll dominate starting in June, just like every year.

Nadal still sucks everywhere but the dirt.
So Fed sucks on everything in the Spring season? lol Australian Open and Dubai both favor Fed and he lost in both.

edmondsm
04-10-2008, 11:35 AM
So Fed sucks on everything in the Spring season? lol Australian Open and Dubai both favor Fed and he lost in both.

Yeah but last year we were all just as suprised to see him lose twice to Canas and then to Volandri in Rome. Everybody was saying that he was declining and he went on to win Hamburg, the FO final, won Wimbledon, Cincy, USO, masters cup. A pretty solid year in other words.:shock:

circusmouse
04-10-2008, 11:37 AM
People are making a big deal of Fed's drought, but Nadal hasn't won a tournament since Stuttgart last July. That's about 9 months without a win. His drought will definitely end soon, though.

Nadal_Freak
04-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Yeah but last year we were all just as suprised to see him lose twice to Canas and then to Volandri in Rome. Everybody was saying that he was declining and he went on to win Hamburg, the FO final, won Wimbledon, Cincy, USO, masters cup. A pretty solid year in other words.:shock:
Federer won Dubai and the Aussie Open last year though. This year he wasn't even able to do that.

daddy
04-10-2008, 11:41 AM

Well in the article they said this is his worst start since 2000. I guess that means something, he had AO under his belt last year when he lost all those matches so people were pretty much convinced he is satisfied and is concentrated on slams only.

danb
04-10-2008, 01:07 PM
http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/2008news/clay_preview08.asp

Official ATP web page commented on the issue. This is the first time top two players are without a title in the first 3 months of the season. Still early days though but interesting stat anyways.

I like it - tennis is all of a sudden more interesting. The top 2 players will come back.

edmondsm
04-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Federer won Dubai and the Aussie Open last year though. This year he wasn't even able to do that.

Well in the article they said this is his worst start since 2000. I guess that means something, he had AO under his belt last year when he lost all those matches so people were pretty much convinced he is satisfied and is concentrated on slams only.

I know. I'm just saying that we all are a little guilty of jumping to conclusions. If Federer picks up his game and wins a slam or two this year all the "Fed is in decline" talk will just be another rush to judgment.

daddy
04-11-2008, 03:50 AM
I know. I'm just saying that we all are a little guilty of jumping to conclusions. If Federer picks up his game and wins a slam or two this year all the "Fed is in decline" talk will just be another rush to judgment.

I am sure many are jumping to conclusions but we can now safely say he had a worse start to the year in 8 years and we can also safely say that first 3 months of this year were marked by his slump in form and illness. This is official. I agree this is way to early to write the guy off but it is what it is. ;)