PDA

View Full Version : Fischer Pro Tour #1 vs. 500 RDX MP

mverdugo
01-06-2005, 08:07 PM
I have been demoing quite a few racquet in the last few months before settling on my old racquet Fischer Pro Tour FT which is now discontinued (although you can still find). Because I know that the racquet will be even harder to find in the near future, I figure it is time to start thinking about a new racquet. I'll start by saying I am not ready for a mid (tried 500 M and POG) and need a mid plus and the reason I started searching in the first place was because of a slight case of TE. Liked many of the characteristics of the 500 MP when I demoed, specifically control on groundstrokes and serve and thin beam at throat is maneuverable. Only thought it was OK for volleys--maybe my technique which has been improving and wasn't convince 100% the racquet was for me--only 90%. My questions:
1. Is the Pro #1 worth demoing? How similar is the feel and sweet spot to pro tour FT? I like the dampened feel of the Pro Tour FT but find the beam to be a bit cumbersome and serving and volleying is OK. I can live with it for now but thinking something may be better out there.
2. Are these racquets , RDX MP and Pro #1 going to be arm friendly in the long run? Also do these racquets have comparably forgiving sweetspots. If so then I can do a side by side comparison and best racquet will win.
I am a primarily self taught all court 4.5 player in San Diego (take 3 lessons a year) and play 8-10 hours per week more doubles than singles. Thanks for any feedback you can give.

NoBadMojo
01-06-2005, 09:27 PM
hi there. i've hit with both of these frames. havent hit the ProFT, but maybe you can check the specs as pertains to stiffness and compare to the Pro1 and that might be revealing. simply put, i think most people would find the Pro1 a better all courters frame and the RDX-MP a better baseliners frame. since you play more doubles that suggests you might do better with the Pro1. the pro1 is a classic and is sweet and soft playing and good at everything, but does not excel at anything. you need to be a pretty good ball striker to use it well. it's also more responsive in the upper hoop than the RDX-MP. both are comfortable. the Pro1 may be a bit more jarrring on mis-hits than the RDX but the RDX seems less responsive on mis-hits. the Pro1 volleys much better IMO and is better serving than the RDX-MP. both frames are comfortable to play with.

mverdugo
01-06-2005, 09:51 PM
How is it F better serving than Y? More power? If it has as much control as Y w/ spin serves than I should certainly testdrive. Also, you suggest that the F is less forgiving w/ smaller sweetspot--was that your experience? Also, why is the F a better all court frame in your opinion? More maneuverable? Found Y to be very maneuverable at net but didn't STICK volleys--that again could be technique. Welcome your feedback as well as others.

NoBadMojo
01-07-2005, 04:58 AM
volleying is one of my strengths and i could not get any work/stick on my 5.5 volleys either w. the Y. volleys just sat there giving my opponent time to get there and do whatever they wished with the ball. they just dis noit pierce the court. if you are interested in more of my detail on the Y, i reviewed it in a TW playtest and you could check it out.

mverdugo
01-08-2005, 09:02 PM
I was hoping this would get more response than it has--not to take anything away from your opinion NBM but am I not comparing apples to apples? These racquets seem to be in similar categories. Lighter players racquets somewhat arm friendly. If nothing else can I get more feedback on Pro #1? Thanks.

lude popper
01-17-2005, 12:41 PM
The Pro Tour #1 is a very sweet, soft stick. Agree with NoBad, if you hit a clean ball, the racquet has immense rewards -- as good as anything I've tried. The weight allows for max head speed on serves and volleying is very smooth. The upper hoop isn't terrible either. This is one of those racquets that allowed me to sit on the baseline and exchange topspin and flat groundies all day. It reminded me of the PS 6.0 95 in that ragard -- control is unmatched. It has one of those stringbeds where you are never suprised by the depth or trajectory. One of the best sticks I've ever hit with.