PDA

View Full Version : My Tennis future

Trev343
04-09-2008, 04:50 PM
What sup tennis warehouse?
I just wanted to ask a few questions on my possibilities with tennis. In early January I quit my best sport basketball, due to some complicated reasons. So my friends who have played for about two years for the team told me to tryout just to have fun playing sports and all. Me, I don't take sports easy so I told my self to be dedicated to the game. Their were 10 returners from last year, and 4 new people tried out. Coach let us all on the team, even though only six get to play in games. Coach ranked me as 13 out of 14. I started play on the weekends just to get my skills up and I started to improve. We had a round robin tournament after about the 3 days of practice which moved me up to the #9 Spot. I continued to work on my game and self tought myself how to hit with topspin, and how to hit a nice flat serve with all of the fundamentals. After about two weeks or so being 6'1 I had the 3rd best serve on my team. I was able to ace people about 25% of the time. I have challenged up all the way to the #5 spot now.

Anyways lol my question is it reasonable that by the beggining of next season I can be playing at a very high level, and after graduation I can play college.
Sry for the long read.

hyogen
04-09-2008, 05:06 PM
a video would be nice. if you are 3.5...i'm not sure if any college will look at you. you'll probably have to be at least a solid 4.5 or 5.0 player to even make the cut at any college... oh wow.. you've been playing for 3 months...

I don't think it's reasonable then...

post vids :)

Trev343
04-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Ok I will post vids as soon as I can. BTW that 3.5 Ranking is old, and im not sure what I truely am. But I mean I can hit flat serve with nice speed around 50 percent of time, I can ace my coach who played college also, I really no other way of describing my level of play.

hyogen
04-09-2008, 05:17 PM
how old is it? you've been playing for 3 months... O_O

how often do you double fault in a singles set?

how reliable is your 2nd serve?

Trev343
04-09-2008, 05:42 PM
In a 3 set match I might double fault maybe Once or twice, sometimes not at all. But my second serve isnt a kick serve yet, even though I can do it in practice I havnt utilized it in a game yet. Its just a flat serve but not a TOTAL lob.

Trev343
04-09-2008, 05:43 PM
and I would say its a month old, ive improved a lot!! Theirs people on my team where this is their third and second year and im ahead of them! I think that speaks to my dedication and athleticism.

Djokovicfan4life
04-09-2008, 05:46 PM
No offense, but becoming a 3.5 level player in two months seems a little far fetched to me. Is this a self rating or is this based off of actual USTA experience?

Trev343
04-09-2008, 05:53 PM
self rating, but I was actually thinking about putting myself in 4.0 by the descriptions. Can anyone find me a video of a 3.5 player and I can compare my self to him.

Gee Willikers Batman!
04-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Don't start. Oh my god. Your going to get in the hole I am in.

I posted a video, and how long I have been playing and people didn't believe me. I defended myself and everyone starting calling me a liar and so forth.

My advice is, leave the info out, and just post a video and ask for advice.

Trev343
04-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Yah I have noticed a lot of people came to tennis because their were too unathletic to make it in other sports. No offense, thats just what I have observed. Maybe thats why I have exceeded expectations for playing for 3 months.

Vision84
04-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Yes you can play for college. I have played D3 teams whose number 6 (bottom of the lineup) would not have even made my high school JV team. (Thanks coach for scheduling us weak teams this year). The #7 an exhibition player from one college the other week played us and had only just started playing tennis. Our player lost 6 points in the entire 2 set match. So it is possible to not be very strong at tennis and play for college though it would have to be a pretty weak D3 team though there are plenty out there.

Tennis_Monk
04-09-2008, 06:31 PM
It is not unreasonable. Some people here refuse to believe that someone who hasnt played much can play that much better. The rating by the forum members can vary vastly that it really becomes pointless. One member might say u r a 3.0 at the best and another might say 4.0 or 4.5

In my opinion, if you are interested in playing for college Go ahead with it. Practice as much as you can, work with a coach (yes you will need it to as you start playing higher level of tennis) . Working smartly and working hard can only make you better. All the best.

Who knows you may be gifted with some natural ability that you can use to your advantage.

Trev343
04-09-2008, 06:33 PM
so no weak D1? I would really like to play college for UTSA in texas. Their not very good really but thats where im most likely gonna go anyways.

Gee Willikers Batman!
04-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Did you really just say Texas is not good? Lol?

I think you might be confused with some OTHERR Texas.

Texas is right behind Cali and Florida.

By the way, it's hard for us to tell you if your going to make whatever if you don't provide a video. It's hard to base an assumption from a 2 minute video, much less a SUMMARY.

Trev343
04-09-2008, 06:47 PM
In UTSA the SA stands for San Antonio buddy. That is not the same as Texas.

Bungalo Bill
04-09-2008, 06:50 PM
What sup tennis warehouse?
I just wanted to ask a few questions on my possibilities with tennis. In early January I quit my best sport basketball, due to some complicated reasons. So my friends who have played for about two years for the team told me to tryout just to have fun playing sports and all. Me, I don't take sports easy so I told my self to be dedicated to the game. Their were 10 returners from last year, and 4 new people tried out. Coach let us all on the team, even though only six get to play in games. Coach ranked me as 13 out of 14. I started play on the weekends just to get my skills up and I started to improve. We had a round robin tournament after about the 3 days of practice which moved me up to the #9 Spot. I continued to work on my game and self tought myself how to hit with topspin, and how to hit a nice flat serve with all of the fundamentals. After about two weeks or so being 6'1 I had the 3rd best serve on my team. I was able to ace people about 25% of the time. I have challenged up all the way to the #5 spot now.

Anyways lol my question is it reasonable that by the beggining of next season I can be playing at a very high level, and after graduation I can play college.
Sry for the long read.

It depends on what "VERY HIGH LEVEL" means? I think with hard work you can improve to a good 4.0. However, this all depends on what 3.5 means in your area and how pure your strokes are. If you have hitches or bad habits, it may take longer.

azn_tomato
04-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Speaking of texas, our school JV coach played there...was ranked as 9th in the nation sometime in her teens. Decided not to go pro though.
Shes tough T_T

Gee Willikers Batman!
04-09-2008, 07:10 PM
In UTSA the SA stands for San Antonio buddy. That is not the same as Texas.

I thought you mistyped "USTA". So I thought you meant the USTA in Texas is not good. I was like like... excuse me..? lol

ZPTennis
04-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Yah I have noticed a lot of people came to tennis because their were too unathletic to make it in other sports.

Trev my friend, you have much to learn. :)

[K]aotic
04-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Yah I have noticed a lot of people came to tennis because their were too unathletic to make it in other sports. No offense, thats just what I have observed. Maybe thats why I have exceeded expectations for playing for 3 months.
try playing some high level tennis without conditioning. what?? unathletic??

spiritdragon
04-09-2008, 10:48 PM
it all depends on how much u practice and train. if u really put ur mind to it u can get really good.

Djokovicfan4life
04-10-2008, 03:36 AM

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Houston, we have a nOOb! :lol:

Seriously though, in my experience most people shy away from tennis because it is much harder than most sports. It also requires a certain amount of skill to be fun for the player. Anyone can go out and play a quick pickup game of basketball with their friends. Same with football. But ask the 2.0 who has spent the last hour hitting moonballs into the wrong court with his friends and ask him if tennis is fun.

It's like golf, really. You can't just go out and shoot a 75 out of nowhere.

WBF
04-10-2008, 05:06 AM
No offense, but becoming a 3.5 level player in two months seems a little far fetched to me. Is this a self rating or is this based off of actual USTA experience?

Right.

I've said it before, but...

I used to play in a local league for kids (12,14,16,18. s&d). We had many good players, with future top D3 and competitive D1 players. Towards the end of 16's or beginning of 18's, this new kid shows up. Tools pretty much everyone at our club and matches go either way between us. I get to know him and his parents, and it turns out he had *Never* played tennis before that. Never. Was excellent at hockey and played other sports, but no tennis. He ended up doing well through the end of high school and played singles for a D1 tennis team. Obviously this is an exception and not the rule, but getting to *3.5* (no offense to 3.5's) quickly isn't exactly an insurmountable task for the majority of athletic and fit individuals.

Gee Willikers Batman!
04-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Right.

I've said it before, but...

I used to play in a local league for kids (12,14,16,18. s&d). We had many good players, with future top D3 and competitive D1 players. Towards the end of 16's or beginning of 18's, this new kid shows up. Tools pretty much everyone at our club and matches go either way between us. I get to know him and his parents, and it turns out he had *Never* played tennis before that. Never. Was excellent at hockey and played other sports, but no tennis. He ended up doing well through the end of high school and played singles for a D1 tennis team. Obviously this is an exception and not the rule, but getting to *3.5* (no offense to 3.5's) quickly isn't exactly an insurmountable task for the majority of athletic and fit individuals.

Muahaha. Exactly what is happening to me. Except I'm not through with HS yet. I have challenged upper class man and my ranking shot up.

Trev343
04-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Yah thats how I am WBF, I played Varstiy Basketball, and freshman year soccer. I just didnt like soccer that much, and I knew I did have potential in basketball like I would in a sport like tennis. Thanks for the response.

Tennisman912
04-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Trev343,

I hate to sound harsh but playing at a solid school in college is probably not going to happen. If you have moved up from the bottom of the team to the top 5 on your team in only a couple of months then you team is not very good (no offense). To improve to solid college level tennis would require at least some formal instruction and tons of practice. Getting to 3.5 isn't that hard for someone with some athletic ability and desire. But the jump form 3.5 to 4.5 is much larger than you think it is right now. If your second serve is flat with no spin and you are just getting it in then that is a problem. That’s the bad news.

The good news is anything is possible and if you find some help and put in the time maybe you will make it. I hope you achieve your goal. If you do make it I would be the first to congratulate you. Please post a video so we can give you a more realistic idea of where you stand. Another thought is go to a local racquet club and either join or say you want to join and either hit with a pro or try a junior clinic for a day. It will help you figure out where you stand. We all learned at some point so let us know how it goes. No matter how it goes do not get discouraged. Good luck.

TM

uspta mp
04-12-2008, 06:38 AM
tennis man is right. you will have to spend at least 6 hours a day for the rest of your high school life on the court with a coach who's willing to put the time in for you, not to mention the conditioning and tournaments that you will have to compete in. if you do that, i wouldn't be surprised if you get some college even if it's an NAIA school looking at you. just keep in mind you still have a life to live. that 6 hours a day is just a starting point. you can adjust that according to demands.
but you have to be the one that really wants it!!

uspta mp
04-12-2008, 06:43 AM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Houston, we have a nOOb! :lol:

Seriously though, in my experience most people shy away from tennis because it is much harder than most sports. It also requires a certain amount of skill to be fun for the player. Anyone can go out and play a quick pickup game of basketball with their friends. Same with football. But ask the 2.0 who has spent the last hour hitting moonballs into the wrong court with his friends and ask him if tennis is fun.

It's like golf, really. You can't just go out and shoot a 75 out of nowhere.

people shy away from tennis because tennis instructors tend to make it look harder and technical than what it really looks.

Trev343
04-12-2008, 04:28 PM
OK. As I gotten older ive realized that it isn't about going pro for me necessarily, but I want to compete in everything I do. Right now im a junior, when I graduate im gonna take a whole year off from college. During that whole year all im gonna have is a part time job, then the rest may be tennis, I figure by then I should be about 4.0. Then with a year left just to play tennis in year round nice climate in Texas I should be able to move into 4.5/5.0?? Tell me if this sounds reasonable? I will post a video soon, but this weekend I don't think I will be able to play due to prom.

Tennisman912
04-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Trev343,

Believe me we are not talking about going pro. You are underestimating how good 5.0 is. Going from 4.0 to 4.5 in one year is quite difficult unless you put in the time uspta mp is suggesting. Let me give you an example of what you are up against. The better juniors I know have been playing with good instruction since they were 5. 3-5 times a week since they were 5. The serious ones play every day all through high school in clinics and tournaments AND have good pros. The elite junior clinic at the club I belonged to before I moved had junior clinics 2 hours a day, 7 days a week. That is 30.00 a day not counting tourneys and outside hitting. And only the top 10% of them are what would be considered elite players.

In San Antonio go watch the closest college team to you play a match and if you are gutsy, try to get one of the players to play a little with you. You will be suprised how good they are. Don't let this discourage you though.

Hey don't let the long odds dissuade you from giving it a try if that is what you want to do. I am not trying to be negative. In spite of what it may sound like here, I am an optimist. I hope you make it, I really do.

Post a video and we can give you a better idea of where you stand. Living in Texas is a good thing. More good players around. Good tennis to you.

TM

Djokovicfan4life
04-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Tennisman's right, go watch some D1 tennis sometime, those guys are scary good. Just imagine hitting it as hard as you possibly could and getting it in 95% of the time and that's how good they are.