PDA

View Full Version : My forehand UPDATED RALLY

tennisprince
04-09-2008, 04:25 PM
heres my forehand in an actual rally. Forgive me for bad video quality.

CantBeBeat2
04-09-2008, 04:26 PM
wheres the video..

Djokovicfan4life
04-09-2008, 04:30 PM
No video here, dude.

tennisprince
04-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Sorry ill get it up in couple secs

Gee Willikers Batman!
04-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Boy, has that happened many times.

"Heres the video"

KID LEAVES THREAD

Kid comes back...

"Why hasn't anybody commented?!?!"

Lol

tennisprince
04-09-2008, 04:38 PM
ya i was stupid and forgot to upload the video before putting it on the thread

Gee Willikers Batman!
04-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Yeah, it's going to be at least 15-30 minutes then. Uploading takes a little bit of time.

tennisprince
04-09-2008, 04:40 PM
is there a way to put the link at the top of the thread so everyone doesnt have to scroll down?

Djokovicfan4life
04-09-2008, 04:42 PM
is there a way to put the link at the top of the thread so everyone doesnt have to scroll down?

Unfortunately you can't edit your posts until you have something like 100 posts or something, it's really stupid.

tennisprince
04-09-2008, 04:45 PM
uh oh thats too bad

Vision84
04-09-2008, 05:12 PM
put your link down here. Maybe a mod will see it and edit it in to the top post.

tennisprince
04-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Ok sorry about everything heres the link
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qsLTpEUyF1M

HeadPrestige
04-09-2008, 05:25 PM
are you trying to sprain your ankles playing on a wet court?

split-step
04-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Is that court wet???

You must've been really hard up to play.

tennisprince
04-09-2008, 05:26 PM
I pretty much play in any weather ive even played in snow
but it took a bit of convincing to get my mom to film and brother to feed

DustinW
04-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Try closing your stance and stepping into your forehand with your other foot (step with left instead of right). Also, the way you are jumping and twisting your body after the shot seems to leave you off balance.... which will make it more difficult to get ready for your next shot.

tennisprince
04-09-2008, 05:33 PM
oh i thought you were supposed to leave your stance open and hit off right foot in open stance forehand?

Gee Willikers Batman!
04-09-2008, 05:48 PM
By the way - that's not a forehand rally.

That's just hitting forehands being fed. So it's more like a drill? lol

Bungalo Bill
04-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Ok sorry about everything heres the link
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qsLTpEUyF1M

Awesome dedication. I admire that. Kid, if you lived in my area, I would take you on.

Be careful on courts that are wet! I love the dedication and you remind me of me when I was playing a lot. However, when you start taking steps to hit a ball away from you, it worried me that you might slip and get injured. On wet courts move conservatively and let wider balls go. It is not worth it.

I posted some information in the other post for you to read.

DustinW
04-09-2008, 06:04 PM
oh i thought you were supposed to leave your stance open and hit off right foot in open stance forehand?

I suppose I didn't say quite what I meant. You still want to push off with your right foot. But you're twisting so much that you end up with your right foot directly in front of your left foot, which leaves you in an unbalanced stance.

There's nothing wrong with hitting open stance... I just thought closing it a bit might help where your feet end up after your shot.

Check out this....
http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/index.php?id=410680&col=260821
and this....
http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/index.php?id=697263&col=260821&offset=6

I don't know anything about the guy on this website, but he seems to do a good job explaining all of the little details.

azn_tomato
04-09-2008, 06:27 PM
I only watched the first couple hits because the video froze up on me...but anyways, bend your knees or something! When you started hopping a little, you had your legs completely straight, and it looked really strange.

Edit: Oh and get on balance as well...really, you seem very un-coordinated.

Bungalo Bill
04-09-2008, 06:31 PM

On the open stance forehand you want to load over your back leg (righ leg) but you want to transfer the weight back to your front foot after contact. Dont just load and stay there. If you only load on the back leg and rotate, you will develop hip injuries over time.

Djokovicfan4life
04-09-2008, 07:17 PM
This forehand looks a lot better than that swinging at air fly swatting crap you posted before. You're a solid player for only 8 months practice.

tennisprince
04-09-2008, 08:28 PM
On the open stance forehand you want to load over your back leg (righ leg) but you want to transfer the weight back to your front foot after contact. Dont just load and stay there. If you only load on the back leg and rotate, you will develop hip injuries over time.

By front foot do you mean left because on my forehand most of the time my feet are semi parralel to the net??

Tim W
04-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Stay down in the shot, don't come up during it. You don't have to jump for every shot you get either.

Vision84
04-10-2008, 05:37 AM
Maybe this is because it is wet and you were being careful but you are very flat footed. This causes you to be a half step slower than if you were on your toes.

I agree with the over-rotation comments being said and that you land off balance. One thing that might be contributing to the off balance and over-rotation is that you take the racket back to far. Remember what BB said in the other thread on this issue.

Good job. Your forehand is miles better than that one you posted before.

tennis_guy
04-10-2008, 05:52 AM
Keep up the practice. I always used to go to the courts even when it was wet or gale force winds lol.

zebano
04-10-2008, 05:59 AM
That's hard core! Man I love my kids but there is something great about being in high school and tennis being the only thing that matters. =)

Take all advice from me with a grain of salt.
Like everyone else, I think you're over-rotating/off balance but I also think that you need to pay a bit more attention to what you do after your shots. Due to the twist you were facing the wrong way, you were recovering back to center (good), but your racket was just flopping down to your side. You should get into more of a ready position with your racket up and be prepared to split-step when your opponent hits the ball. This will allow you to prepare for your next shot faster.

wihamilton
04-10-2008, 06:16 AM
I don't know anything about the guy on this website, but he seems to do a good job explaining all of the little details.

He's a massive tool.

tennisprince
04-10-2008, 06:28 AM
Ya the guy on fuzzyyellowbballs.com was really clear and good

Kokopelli
04-10-2008, 06:29 AM
He's a massive tool.

Yes, indeed, but tiny in stature.

wihamilton
04-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Yes, indeed, but tiny in stature.

Kind of like a mini-Peyton Manning minus the professional-level athleticism.

Djokovicfan4life
04-10-2008, 08:40 AM
Haha, I noticed the Peyton Manning resemblance. :lol:

Kokopelli
04-10-2008, 08:59 AM
Kind of like a mini-Peyton Manning minus the professional-level athleticism.

And don't forget minus the bank account + worldwide fame + super bowl ring + big *** mansions + a kazillion other things. Will, you're just so inadequate in so many ways!!! Sorry, I didn't mean to open up a can of worms here.

On a serious note, I just love your site.

Fuzzyyellowbballs.com - I wonder how the Asian community feels about this? The title just sounds so *******ed. lol

Edit: I don't know why the "p e r v e r t e d" word got asterisked.

Djokovicfan4life
04-10-2008, 10:00 AM
And don't forget minus the bank account + worldwide fame + super bowl ring + big *** mansions + a kazillion other things. Will, you're just so inadequate in so many ways!!! Sorry, I didn't mean to open up a can of worms here.

On a serious note, I just love your site.

Fuzzyyellowbballs.com - I wonder how the Asian community feels about this? The title just sounds so *******ed. lol

Edit: I don't know why the "p e r v e r t e d" word got asterisked.

Haha, I can't help but think of Homer Simpsons nuts every time I type in the URL. :lol:

Bungalo Bill
04-10-2008, 10:34 AM
By front foot do you mean left because on my forehand most of the time my feet are semi parralel to the net??

Yes, you dont want to do what Guga used to do which screwed up his hip and shortened his career. I always wondered why other pros didnt have hip problems so I looked a little more carefully into it. Mind you, I didnt take my auditing experience and conduct a full-blown audit on it, but I did gather enough evidence to satisfy me on the subject which I am passing on to you.

Most teachers teach the open stance forehand. It is obvious that it is here to stay. However, most teachers (including myself in the past) teach that you load the weight over the back foot and they left it at that. The rest of the instruction was about swinging through the ball etc...

Guga had a tendency to really load on the back foot and rotate over the back foot keeping his weight pretty much on the right side while raising his front foot (which you are correct is his left foot).

This puts a tremendous amount of stress on the right side hip. You still need to load over your back leg, however, instead of keeping most of the wiegit there, get used to rebalancing the weight back over to the front foot (left foot). Federer does this very well.

Kokopelli
04-10-2008, 10:48 AM
I found it is very natural to do the weight transferring from right to left (I'm a right hander) in my forehand if

1) On the back swing, the weight is on my right leg (almost the entire right foot touches the ground); my body leans to the right; on my left leg, I'm on my toes.

2) On the forward swing, my body rises up a little; my right leg is straighten out a little bit; on my right leg, I'm on my toes; on my left leg, a bigger portion of the left foot is now touching the ground.

In summary, the key for me in transferring weight from right to left is to lift my right heel off of the ground as I proceed with the forward swing.

tennisprince
04-10-2008, 05:23 PM
thanks for the comments everyone theyve helped a lot. One thing im having trouble with is coming low to high. My swing becomes really fragmented and not smoothe. Advice?

obnoxious2
04-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Playing on a wet court is a nono.

Double Fault
04-11-2008, 12:20 AM
Yeah, I would really consider the wet court advice. It is a very easy way to roll your ankles.