PDA

View Full Version : O3 Speedport Black Throat Grommet Problem

ncode6195
04-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Hi everyone,
This is my first post so I hope it is in the right spot! I had a friend string my Prince O3 Speedport Black racquet and one of the holes in the "grommet" on the throat broke:( Is this typical for a three month old racquet. I know I can get it replaced, but this sounds cheap. Thanks, james

themitchmann
04-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Please describe how it is broken.

ncode6195
04-09-2008, 04:57 PM
It is broken where the string goes through the grommet (where the hole is drilled in the grommet) in the throat. He said it happened as he pulled tension the first time and I'm pretty sure that it wasn't his fault since he used to work at TW as a stringer.

themitchmann
04-09-2008, 05:09 PM
What exactly broke? The hard plastic throat piece? Did he make the common error of looping the main in the wrong spot?

themitchmann
04-09-2008, 05:12 PM
http://www.stringjob.com/photos/spt2.jpg

If you string a Speedport in the same manner shown in the picture, the holes will rip if given enough tension. The loop of the string must go around solid frame, not open space.

psp2
04-09-2008, 05:16 PM
http://www.stringjob.com/photos/spt2.jpg

If you string a Speedport in the same manner shown in the picture, the holes will rip if given enough tension. The loop of the string must go around solid frame, not open space.

1. The mains do not begin at the throat.
2. If you pull the mains as in the photo above, you'll simply pull through the grommet hole thus ripping through the hole.

Sounds like this is what happened to the OP's frame.

ncode6195
04-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Ok, so maybe he did make a mistake. That picture looks like what would be the only problem. Oh well he strings for free so I don't care if he makes a mistake once in a while. Thanks so much!

themitchmann
04-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Glad we got it figured out. I stole the pic from another thread with a similar issue, but can't remember who posted it. Credit goes to you, whoever you are.

Thanks.

04-09-2008, 10:13 PM
So what should you do different than the pic? It was taken to show the wrong way of stringing this racket!

psp2
04-09-2008, 11:06 PM
So what should you do different than the pic? It was taken to show the wrong way of stringing this racket!

The correct way shouldn't be too difficult to figure out, even for nonstringers.

themitchmann
04-10-2008, 04:11 AM

In the picture, the string is looped around the open space of the port. Therefore, the only thing holding the string in place are the string holes. When tensioned, the string holes alone are not strong enough and tend to rip. When stringing racquets with these kinds of ports/inserts, you have to make sure the string loops around the material of the racquet, not open space. So when the string is tensioned, the loop will tighten on the actual frame of the racquet, not open space.

The sting holes are what make this a little confusing...if you tried to string like this with an open port, you would clearly see that the string wouldn't hold, as the loop would just pull through the open space.

ChrisNC
04-10-2008, 05:19 AM
It should look like this:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd58/my_craigslist_stuff/spt2_correct.jpg

Please excuse the hack MS Paint job, but you get the point.

themitchmann
04-10-2008, 05:30 AM
Haha. Nice. That is what it should look like.

04-10-2008, 06:55 AM
So you should just make sure the string in right up against the frame before tensioning?

Thankyou for the help

IanRichardson
04-10-2008, 07:06 AM
if i am thinking about this correctly i dont think it is that big of a problem

I did a similar mistake on an 03 tour and although there rubber was torn it still played/ worked fine. The tension held it in place more than that little piece of rubber anyways.

iplaybetter
04-10-2008, 07:09 AM
So you should just make sure the string in right up against the frame before tensioning?

Thankyou for the help

the string hole inserts have a path moled in, if it is curved it is right, also if you look and the string is going across a space its wrong

themitchmann
04-10-2008, 07:11 AM
Yes, I've seen this as well: an O3 that was strung incorrectly and the throat piece was damaged, then restrung correctly. Most of the time, and damage at the throat will not make a noticeable difference to many players.

number.432
04-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Hi everyone,
This is my first post so I hope it is in the right spot! I had a friend string my Prince O3 Speedport Black racquet and one of the holes in the "grommet" on the throat broke:( Is this typical for a three month old racquet. I know I can get it replaced, but this sounds cheap. Thanks, james

Interesting. I had problems with throat grommet in my SP black as well. The frame is into its third string job. The first two times theere was no problem. But last night when I cut out the string pulling out the string the entire throat grommet just came off. I'm planning to pick up an elephant glue on my way home tonite or may be I should write to Prince to see what should be done about this? or can somebody tell me whether this is normal .... i guess not?!?!?

iplaybetter
04-10-2008, 08:32 AM
dont glue it, the strings hold it in

number.432
04-10-2008, 08:34 AM
hey thanks for quick reply. so you are saying that that's how it was built. a couple stringjobs and then it will stay loose just like that? this is pretty odd huhhh?

YULitle
04-10-2008, 09:58 AM
It's normal. The string will hold it in fine. Only be concerned if it pops out with strings in it.

Steve Huff
04-10-2008, 03:18 PM
If it was strung incorrectly as shown in the 1st photo, the mains would have to be slanted a little toward one side because of the way the holes at the top are. Maybe the stringer never got that far.