PDA

View Full Version : Pro Hurricane Tension Loss

B-rian
04-09-2008, 06:14 PM
I play with a Babolat PDC and I had it strung with Pro Hurricane 16s at 58 lbs and after about two weeks of play, it lost most of its tension. I play almost everyday for about 2 hours per day, I hit with alot of topspin, and am not a frequent string breaker. Is this normal for pro hurricanes to lose so much tension in such a short amount of time or it because I am just using the racquet so often that the tension just goes away?

rabidcow
04-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Thats a pretty good amount of time o a set of strings, in my mind. But I break strings at least once a week

Fedace
04-09-2008, 06:33 PM
I play with a Babolat PDC and I had it strung with Pro Hurricane 16s at 58 lbs and after about two weeks of play, it lost most of its tension. I play almost everyday for about 2 hours per day, I hit with alot of topspin, and am not a frequent string breaker. Is this normal for pro hurricanes to lose so much tension in such a short amount of time or it because I am just using the racquet so often that the tension just goes away?

Yea, ProHurr tour does lose tension pretty quickly and it goes dead as well in warm weather.

eric892
04-09-2008, 06:33 PM
It actually depends on what time of the day you played tennis. String tension will lose rapidly in a hot and humid day compare to when you are playing in the evening or at night.

B-rian
04-09-2008, 06:39 PM
What other strings would you consider to replace the Pro Hurricanes that don't lose tension as quickly? Would Luxilons be a good choice because I've read that they also produce alot of spin?

B-rian
04-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Oh and I play mostly in the afternoon but i don't live in a very hot area. Temp is usually in the mid 60s and recently, low 70s.

eric892
04-09-2008, 06:56 PM
What other strings would you consider to replace the Pro Hurricanes that don't lose tension as quickly? Would Luxilons be a good choice because I've read that they also produce alot of spin?

Yes Luxilons are great. You should try hybrid or natural gut strings.

Babolat VS Natural Team or Babolat XCel Premium.

B-rian
04-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks i think im going to try the Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L strings this time because i cant afford to buy natural gut strings.

loathsome
04-10-2008, 01:38 AM
Big Bangers are great strings, but if yer main concern are cost and tension hold, i suggest u look else where, it only lasted me through a match and 2 hitting session. the first 1-2 hours it feels fantastic, once the tension starts going, u will really hate it and will cut them out. Its worth a try if you have not tried them before so to understand what ppl here are referring to.

I still have 2 packs of ALU power and am reluctant to use it due its poor tension hold

Cup8489
04-10-2008, 10:46 AM
yeah, luxilon is amazing fresh off the stringer, but it goes dead pretty damn fast. i still prefer it to PHT, though

but if you're prohibited by cost, topspin cyberflash as well as unique big hitter are excellent co poly's (similar to BB and PHT) and are much more affordable, and i find they hold tension quite a bit better.

not quite as good for spin as PHT, though :)

DonBot
04-10-2008, 11:09 AM
If you like 16g pht you might like sppp 16l or big ace 16l they are a bit boards at first but after they break in they feel similar to pht. Pht for me drops a ton of tension at first, then it is stable for a few weeks then it drops a ton more and that is when I cut it out. I can break about every other string I have hit with, but I can never pull it off with 16g pht. It just becomes way too unplayable before i get to breaking it. Sppp and big ace keep their tension way longer. Especially the hextreme- I have a stick strung with it from last summer and the tension is still playable. If it were pht it would have a date with my scissors.

loathsome
04-11-2008, 10:14 AM
I second the suggestion of using SPPP 17, better tension hold and feels as good as PH/PHT

TennezSport
04-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Loathsome and Cup8489 have a good point. Lux is a great string but is loses tension faster than Bab PHT. You might want to try Signum Pro, Topspin or MSV for string that holds tension better, hwoever they may not be as soft. Pro Supex also holds tension well but tends to be a little stiffer.

TennezSport :cool:

B-rian
04-12-2008, 09:20 AM
If you like 16g pht you might like sppp 16l or big ace 16l they are a bit boards at first but after they break in they feel similar to pht. Pht for me drops a ton of tension at first, then it is stable for a few weeks then it drops a ton more and that is when I cut it out. I can break about every other string I have hit with, but I can never pull it off with 16g pht. It just becomes way too unplayable before i get to breaking it. Sppp and big ace keep their tension way longer. Especially the hextreme- I have a stick strung with it from last summer and the tension is still playable. If it were pht it would have a date with my scissors.

sppp? what does that stand for?

PROTENNIS63
04-12-2008, 09:26 AM
sppp? what does that stand for?

Signum Pro Poly Plasma.