PDA

View Full Version : My backhand slice is horrible

ogruskie
04-09-2008, 07:43 PM
I just pop the ball up into the air with massive spin. I have no drive to make the ball go over the net. What am I doing wrong?

Rickson
04-09-2008, 07:45 PM
I just pop the ball up into the air with massive spin. I have no drive to make the ball go over the net. What am I doing wrong?

That was one of my jokes: you call it a slice, but I call it a lob. You're probably hitting with an open face. Why don't you square up instead. You won't get as much backspin, but you won't get that pop up either.

Bungalo Bill
04-09-2008, 07:48 PM

Well, hard to tell. I could list a bunch of things but there is not enough to go by and what to work on. Can you post a video or something?

ogruskie
04-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Well, hard to tell. I could list a bunch of things but there is not enough to go by and what to work on. Can you post a video or something?

Sorry, I don't have the equipment. I know I'm not giving a whole lot of information to work with, but could you at least give me a rough description of a proper backhand slice? I mean, could you list the common mistakes people make with this stroke?

Bungalo Bill
04-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Sorry, I don't have the equipment. I know I'm not giving a whole lot of information to work with, but could you at least give me a rough description of a proper backhand slice? I mean, could you list the common mistakes people make with this stroke?

Sure. Let's see.

1. Moving the stroke from the elbow instead of the shoulder.

2. Not maintaining a large "L" pattern throughout the swing. Your arm starts bent but it should straighten out as your stroke progresses

3. Turning the wrist at the last moment.

4. Hitting off the back foot.

5. Inconsistent contact point.

6. Lunging to the ball, not getting to the ball, not moving your feet

7. Moving your head throwing you off balance.

8. Racquet moves too much in your hand.

9. Poor balance.

10. Not hitting off the front foot.

How is that? Here is a video clip of a good slice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GzW401yri4

Try going through this instruction to see if you can make sense out of it.

http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/index.php?col=7522669

See if this helps.

Rickson
04-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Look how square Roger's face is on the slice.

Roger's slice (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHPdlGW4vEE&feature=related)

doogoshly
04-09-2008, 08:40 PM
you don't want the racquet face open when you slice. you want it more or less flat (depending on where you're hitting the ball). the slice action is all in moving the racquet perpendicularly to the ball as you hit it. i used to lob mine all the time until i closed the racquet face. now it's not only reliable but has good drive and depth while having enough spin to confuse opponents.

Djokovicfan4life
04-10-2008, 03:41 AM
Look how square Roger's face is on the slice.

Roger's slice (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHPdlGW4vEE&feature=related)

I can't believe I'm saying this, but it looks like he missed the sweetspot on that shot! :shock:

TNT16
04-10-2008, 05:23 AM
Key = leaning into the shot. You should really feel your weight going into it.

That means full turn and leaning in with your shoulder as if you are trying to push a door shut while your hands are full with bags of groceries (or something).

Bungalo Bill makes a similar and related point (#4 and $10 in his post) about not hitting off the back foot.

Also your contact point/hitting zone is further back.

iplaybetter
04-10-2008, 06:28 AM
first learn to hit a flat 1hb with a continental grip and then the slice comes

Netgame
04-10-2008, 12:06 PM
I hit a slice backhand with the same basic motion as my backhand volley. So if you have a good backhand volley, just start out with that motion in mind.

watermantra
04-10-2008, 01:11 PM
The backhand slice is easy...

Easy to hit badly, that is! I had a much harder time learning to hit a slice than a drive backhand. The mechanics felt strange and not very fluid, to me. But, once I had it groove, there is nearly nothing that feels better to me. The comment about extending a good backhand volley is good, as are all of Bungalow Bill's points of interest.

I think that so many folks emphasize the "slice" part of the stroke name instead of the "backhand" part. You will see countless very badly hit slices at any given club. For the most part, I think they are thinking too much about imparting spin, rather than hitting through the shot. I finally figured it out when I started driving through the ball with a firm wrist (like a backhand volley).

bronco_mba
04-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Key = leaning into the shot. You should really feel your weight going into it.

That means full turn and leaning in with your shoulder as if you are trying to push a door shut while your hands are full with bags of groceries (or something).

Bungalo Bill makes a similar and related point (#4 and $10 in his post) about not hitting off the back foot.

Also your contact point/hitting zone is further back.

Very good advice. My coach calls it "moving forward" through the shot, which is impossible to do if you're hitting off your back foot.

vndesu
04-10-2008, 10:13 PM
i try to aim for the net wen i slice.
helps it make it lower for me that is,.