PDA

View Full Version : Damn Match Play

herosol
04-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Damn how this darn sport requires both hard techinique training, and match play.
Damn it all.

my god, i think when i hit my 30's ill have extreme hypertension because of this damn thing called tennis.

BITTERSWEEET LOVEEE :[

yea?

Djokovicfan4life
04-10-2008, 03:11 AM
I don't get it. Do you need help with something or are you just feeling frustrated?

herosol
04-10-2008, 04:39 AM
I don't get it. Do you need help with something or are you just feeling frustrated?

yes. why I can't finish off my frikkin plans.
I construct my points so beautifully. And then i just screw up the finale.

Concise drop shots, that set up a easy volley put away, and i miss

Deep penetrating shots folllowed by a well-position approach, and i miss the volley.

Jeez. i think its just the volleys. But the thing i don't quite get is because I have practiced so much on my construction and my volleying that during match play I just can't end points even when i get good contact, they just seem to go really fast, but in my opponents direction.

You ask why dont i try to baseline more? Some people I play wont miss from the back with all the pushing, and I don't have the 100% stroke to finsih points fromt he back, thus i construct most of my points trying to finish at the net.

Vision84
04-10-2008, 05:46 AM
Good job coming to the net to finish off points. It sounds like you need work on the transition between practice and matchplay. When you practice set up drills which involve approach shots and volley. Begin just having a a partner who hits a short ball and then you approach it and come to the net and play out the point. Begin without keeping score but as you get comfortable start keeping score to give you a more competitive environment. Perhaps you could even start to add something on the line such as the winner buys lunch. Putting something on the line will help make you more match tough.

Also one thing many people take for granted is getting ready for the volley after the approach. This is a very important element that many people skip when practicing volleys. Ensure that you split-stepping (check-stepping) and are ready for your volley. Many people forget this and end up running through the volley.

spiritdragon
04-10-2008, 05:57 AM
Damn how this darn sport requires both hard techinique training, and match play.
Damn it all.

my god, i think when i hit my 30's ill have extreme hypertension because of this damn thing called tennis.

BITTERSWEEET LOVEEE :[

yea?

Thats what makes tennis fun.

junbumkim
04-10-2008, 06:01 AM
You are probably not maintaining the intensity / concentration level up till the point is over.

In the practice, there is no "winning the point " involved when executing. Hence, you can focus more on the balls. During the match play, you get an easy volley or whatever, you think "this is my point" and can lose focus.

If you aren't missing it on the practice court, there is no reason you should miss it during the match play given that it's as easy of shot as you make it sound. So keep your intensity up till the ball bounces twice on the other side of the net.

It could also be that you are trying to be too cute / perfect with the shot. When a simple block back into the open court may be enough, you may take a big cut at it, or go for unnecessarily shot.