PDA

View Full Version : Roddick's improved backhand

flyer
04-09-2008, 09:57 PM
I knwo Andy gets constantly bashed for his back hand but I just went back and rewatched the Federer match and I have to say it mcuh, mcuh better.

Im not saying it is in any way that it is a world class shot that he can use to attack, vary, and hit a lot of winners off of, but it is solid enough to the point that other players cant single it out and attack it with a high degree/any degree of success, it is harder, consistant and at times pressured Fed a bit.

I think maybe this more than anything is what he can atke from his time with Connors and it may have sured up a chink in his armor enough to the point where he could beat the top 3 players in the world.

What do you guys think? How much better is it? Does its improvement have to do with his recent success? Is it even better at all?

Rickson
04-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Roddick's improved backhand
What do you guys think? How much better is it? Does its improvement have to do with his recent success? Is it even better at all?

Roddick improved his backhand?

RoddickistheMan
04-09-2008, 10:01 PM
it definitely improved but not drastically id say that it became alittle bit more solid if anything. Occasionally youll see him go for some winners with it but it still isnt no nalbandian or safin backhand. I think what im most impressed with is his forehand.

superman1
04-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Old news. His backhand and volleys did get better with Connors (which was inevitable since he wasn't working on them at all before Connors came along), but his approach shots and instincts at net are still terrible, and his forehand is on and off. At his best, he's a hell of a power player, at his worst, he's just a passive, consistent baseliner who hangs in there and hopes the other guy messes up.

flyer
04-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Yeah I mean its old news somewhat, Im not saying Im discovering fire here but my question is how much better and what effect do you guys think it had on his match with Fed?

Eviscerator
04-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Credit Connors

stormholloway
04-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Dunno man. I watched him at the clay court championships from 2004, and I've watched him on youtube from 2002 against Sampras and it looks the same to me. I'm not sure what the improvement is.

Still the same old stiff armed swing. Nowhere near Agassi-esque in its brilliance or even its technique.

Alexandros
04-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Dunno man. I watched him at the clay court championships from 2004, and I've watched him on youtube from 2002 against Sampras and it looks the same to me. I'm not sure what the improvement is.

Still the same old stiff armed swing. Nowhere near Agassi-esque in its brilliance or even its technique.

The technique is the same but it doesn't break down and cough up errors like it once did. He's more consistent and doesn't drop many short balls that allow his opponents to attack. It's not a weapon by any stretch but it's not a weakness anymore.

Alexandros
04-10-2008, 12:05 AM

The technique is the same but it doesn't break down and cough up errors like it once did. He's more consistent and doesn't drop many short balls that allow his opponents to attack. It's not a weapon by any stretch but it's not a weakness anymore.

Djokovicfan4life
04-10-2008, 03:45 AM
Roddick improved his backhand?

You mean he switched to a one-hander? :)

tennisadd1ct
04-10-2008, 03:26 PM
You mean he switched to a one-hander? :)

hey dude did u change the pic to the pic in my thread lol?

crawl4
04-10-2008, 04:00 PM
didnt anyone watch his match at indian wells against haas?

it was horrible there, haas made him run side to side and his bh timing was way off. Maybe in fed's match it was much better but he still cant maintain it for every match as players will eventually break it down. I think he shouldnt look to improve his bh though, he should focus more on coming to the net at the right time and setting up the point.

Vision84
04-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Roddick's technique on the backhand is not very good. He doesn't get good torso rotation and he tries to muscle everything with his left hand rather than use his hands as a unit.

Djokovicfan4life
04-10-2008, 04:38 PM
hey dude did u change the pic to the pic in my thread lol?

Yeah, I posted about it, remember?

What can I say? It's an awesome pic.

soyizgood
04-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Roddick's technique on the backhand is not very good. He doesn't get good torso rotation and he tries to muscle everything with his left hand rather than use his hands as a unit.

I've criticized him for arming the backhand too much. He's not generating racquet speed from his lower body. Doesn't he also use a double eastern backhand as well?

In his slo-mo video, he's looking at the ball as it moves. His eyes don't stay in one place. As a result, I don't think he's hitting the ball with much focus or confidence.

The manner in which he hits his backhand suggests that he's just trying to hold the fort until the opportunity comes to blast with his forehand. He's content to be a grinder from the backhand side. If he gets a winner from it, it's from sheer luck or from a weak, floating return.

Roddick is more likely to approach the net on a slice than from a flat or topspin backhand shot. I don't know if this is because he knows his footwork isn't great and needs setup time. Or if he thinks his slice is really going to bother the opponent. Whatever the logic, it doesn't work much of the time for him, especially against Federer.

Instead of trying to hit deep, he would be better advised to hit wide so he can set up the forehand. At least that's my take.

Djokovicfan4life
04-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Double eastern? You mean like two eastern forehand grips? :confused:

No wonder his backhand sucks so much.

soyizgood
04-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Double eastern? You mean like two eastern forehand grips? :confused:

No wonder his backhand sucks so much.

I saw Roddick's slo-mo on Youtube and it so looks like an eastern on both hands. Granted I used that combination for 11 years and it was okay for medium to low balls. But on high balls with spin I had issues with it.

Agassi's backhand was almost a double continental. But at least he knew better to hit early and out in front.

drakulie
04-10-2008, 05:41 PM

I would agree that his BH seems a bit better and more penetrating this year. What he needs to improve is his crosscourt slice, and then approaching the net. he always telegraphs that shot.

stormholloway
04-10-2008, 05:43 PM
He needs to eliminate the cross court approach altogether. Some players can do that. He's far too lumbering.

NamRanger
04-10-2008, 05:53 PM

Go watch his matches against Nadal and Djokovic in Dubai, major difference in his backhand.

drakulie
04-10-2008, 05:59 PM
He needs to eliminate the cross court approach altogether. Some players can do that. He's far too lumbering.

Once again, you are correct. That has to be the ugliest shot in the game today.

Tshooter
04-12-2008, 01:27 PM
It's weak. It always has been. It always will be.

The only thing Connors did was have him choke up on it to the point where it looks really stiff and ugly. Even more than the original.

Unfortunately (or not, if you are his opponents) he developed too fast. As in his early success at ages 19-21-ish with the serve/forehand combo never allowed him the time to fix a mechanically flawed shot. And it's way too late now.