PDA

View Full Version : hitting late on the FH feels like maybe more control??

sapient007
04-10-2008, 05:08 AM
i was spraying the FH ball everywhere yesterday but manged to do a little better when i moved my contact point back by hitting slightly late. i felt that the power wasn't there but getting the ball over the net is better than into the net. I tried moving the contact point forward initially but it just resulted in more balls into the net.

suggestions?

Sentinel
04-10-2008, 07:07 AM
By hitting late do you also imply a short backswing. i.e., an abbrev motion ?

junbumkim
04-10-2008, 07:09 AM
maybe your contact point was way too out in front...

Every grip has an ideal contact point somewhere out in front...

JRstriker12
04-10-2008, 07:15 AM
I wouldn't advocate hitting late - hitting late produces it's own set of problems, such as making it harder to hit cross court and decreasing power.

I would try to find out what was wrong with your normal stroke - why you were lacking control orginally.

Getting the ball early and out in front allows you to hit the ball harder and gives you more options in terms of directional control.

sapient007
04-10-2008, 07:40 AM
i guess i'm not there in position could be a problem. by moving my contact point more in front, i just ended up brushing the ball of the ball and netting. If the ball comes at me with pace, i can usually return it without too much issue. It's the sitters that really exposes this weakness in my FH.

i have to add that i use a semi western grip and a double bend arm position. at times i feel like my elbow is waaay too close to the body not allowing for any power to translate on to the ball during contact. it's a bad habit developed over time and really hard to kick now.. i just find myself unsure of what to adjust when the FH breaks down.

JRstriker12
04-10-2008, 07:49 AM
i guess i'm not there in position could be a problem. by moving my contact point more in front, i just ended up brushing the ball of the ball and netting. If the ball comes at me with pace, i can usually return it without too much issue. It's the sitters that really exposes this weakness in my FH.

i have to add that i use a semi western grip and a double bend arm position. at times i feel like my elbow is waaay too close to the body not allowing for any power to translate on to the ball during contact. it's a bad habit developed over time and really hard to kick now.. i just find myself unsure of what to adjust when the FH breaks down.

If you are getting jammed (elbow to close to body) then you need to work on footwork.

As for the sitters - when the FH breaks down, hit the sitter for a set-up shot - don't go for a winner straight up. Try to stretch you opponent and set up a volley or get them to make the error.

k_liu
04-10-2008, 07:56 AM
I wouldn't advocate hitting late - hitting late produces it's own set of problems, such as making it harder to hit cross court and decreasing power.

I would try to find out what was wrong with your normal stroke - why you were lacking control orginally.

Getting the ball early and out in front allows you to hit the ball harder and gives you more options in terms of directional control.

Agreed!!! hitting late is just a bad habit to start.

Tennisman912
04-12-2008, 06:20 PM
sapient007,

I feel your pain but you don't want to get in the habit of hitting late as others have suggested. My guess based on your description is you are trying to hit it a bit too early. That is throwing your timing off and when you hit it at the proper contact point it feels like you are late when you really are not. You just need to adjust the feeling of your contact point. It is very hard to break that habit and have the patience to wait for your correct contact point. Tennis is really about being patient which is a bit counterintuitive. I struggle with the same problem. I am a early 90% of the time compared to being late. It robs you of power and makes your timing harder.

After thinking about it, see if this is what the real problem is for you. It is more common than people realize. If so just work on being patient which admittedly, is hard. I hope this helps.

TM

Uthree
04-12-2008, 06:53 PM

You have already found your own solutions. Hitting later is fine and contact further away will also help.

Djokovicfan4life
04-12-2008, 07:04 PM
You have already found your own solutions. Hitting later is fine and contact further away will also help.

Ummmm, no.

He even said that it's robbing him of a great deal of power. It is simply a bad habit and it needs to be fixed. End of story.

Uthree
04-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Ummmm, no.

He even said that it's robbing him of a great deal of power. It is simply a bad habit and it needs to be fixed. End of story.

Lack of power will be from other areas, probably his non-hitting side. He's on the right track.