PDA

View Full Version : Rock you like a Hurricane...

TripleB
01-07-2005, 03:54 AM
I'm wondering if anyone here uses Babolat Pro Hurricane polyester strings?

It seems like most of the polyester talk on the boards is about the Luxilon series (a lot of it from me I admit) but I don't hear much about Babolat Pro Hurricane strings, even though some big names {Roddick, Sharapova} use it.

Has anyone compared the Luxilon (say the BB ALU Power 16L) to the Hurricane? Is so, what are your thoughts?

For anyone who has used some Hurricane what are your opinions?

Is interesting to see that some top players use a gut/poly hybrid while others use a poly/gut hybrid.

TripleB

BTW: sorry about the Scorpions (anyone else here remember that group?) title theft.

Swan Song
01-07-2005, 07:22 AM
Ben, I currently use the Hurricane 17 in a gut/poly hybrid. What I can say about the Hurricane is that it pockets the ball more than the ALU and it seems softer. The durability, in my opinion, is the same as the ALU. The only problem with this hybrid is that the main strings move compared to the hybrid with the ALU, but some Elasto Crosses should solve that problem. Overall, if you want a poly that is soft, yet durable, I would suggest the Hurricane 17.

This is my comparison to Hurricane 17 to ALU:
Power: ALU Ice>Hurricane 17>ALU silver, ALU Rough
Durability: Same
Softness:Hurricane>ALU Ice>ALU silver, ALU Rough
Ball pocketing:Hurricane>ALU Ice>ALU silver, ALU Rough

By the way, the ALU(all three types) and the Hurricane I use in my hybrid is pre-stretched. Also, congratulations on choosing the RDX 500 MP as your new racquet of choice. It is sad that two people, you and Stormwolf, left from the POG Mid fanclub, but I wish you a good luck on your tennis game.

RickN
01-07-2005, 09:56 AM
Ice and Silver (Grey) are the same string, just different colors.

DANMAN
01-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Ice and silver are both Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power strings, but there has been much speculation that the ice blue plays softer than does the silver. I have heard some talk of this being true about all the colors in the Prince Synthetic Gut with Duraflex line.

TripleB
01-07-2005, 10:44 AM
Swan Song,

Thanks for the great info. Just to make sure, do you have the gut as your mains or your crosses? Thanks for congrats on the RDX500 MP....it is going to be hard to say goodbye to the POG Mid....it has been a great companion.

I agree that, even though they go by the same name, the Ice and Grey versions of the LBBALUP16L string play different. I had two POG mids strung at the same tension (57 pounds), one with the Ice and one with the Grey. The Ice played more powerful and softer than the Grey verson. I thought that it might just be that one was accidently strung looser than the other but there was toooo much of a difference in playability with the two. I eventually had the Ice cut out because I didn't feel like I got as much control with it as I did the Grey.

As far as the Prince Synthetic Gut with Duraflex goes, I feel they play differently also. From 'crispest' to softest: Black, White, Yellow, Natural

TripleB

Swan Song
01-07-2005, 04:57 PM
Ben, I use VS 17 gauge on my mains and the Hurricane 17s on the crosses.

schaefferm46
01-07-2005, 07:14 PM
I am using the hurricane stright. I tested hurricane against luxilon alu and kb compition I strung them all at 53. I thought the hurricane was the softest, It is also great for hybrids I am using e-matrix in the cross and it feels pretty good really easy on the arm.

Lilhac16
01-07-2005, 07:28 PM
ProHurricane is the greatest poly of all time. I use it with Vs. Gut and it doesn't steal the soft pocketing feel like most poly's due...I haven't tried Alu b/c it seems like a waste of money.

dewey4262
01-07-2005, 07:37 PM
I'm using Hurricane 16 (Blue) in the mains with Xcel 16 crosses strung at 62/60. I find that this hybrid has good ball feel without being harsh, good durability, and decent tension retention. The only downfall I see is that the Xcel has begun to notch only after one hour of play, not sure if this will occur with other multi's. I previously used Kryptonite/Bow Brand gut, which was softer and held tension better, with a little more power, but in terms of playability/value I would go with hurricane/multi. You might also think about putting a crisp syn. gut in the cross such as a Gosen string or PSG Duraflex so that notching is less likely to occur and tension retention will be better then a multi.

raven5288
01-07-2005, 08:32 PM
I'm using bab hurr 16 with vs gut 16 in the mains. It's a great hybrid.

TripleB
01-08-2005, 04:29 AM
raven5288,

Have you ever tried hurricane 16 mains with a cheaper (say Synthetic Gut) hybrid? If so, is there a big difference between that set up and the one with natural gut? I'm still trying to figure out if putting natural gut in the crosses is worth the extra dough.

TripleB