PDA

View Full Version : Multi String Advice....

jmk2888
04-10-2008, 09:13 AM
I've been using NRG2 17 for 2 years now and I love how they feel.

I'm looking for a 17 Multi that feel just the same or softer but ALOT cheaper in price. Durability is NOT an issue, I can always re-string myself but holding tension should be part of the issue. I prefer to buy string in a Reel, any advice is appreciated.

I've used the following string and did not like it:

ISOSPEED Professional 17 (did not hold Tension well and not soft enough)
Alpha Gut 2000 16
Gamma Asterisk 17
Prince Premier Softflex 17
Yonex Tour Super 880 Ti Soft 16L
Yonex Tour Super 850 16

I'm looking to try the following:

Pro Suprex Maxim Touch 17
Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament String 17

PED
04-10-2008, 09:18 AM
What did you not like about the Yonex 850? I've been thinking of trying it and would love to learn from your experience.

Valjean
04-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Tecnifibre's Multifeel. Babolat's Syntronic Brio too.

miniRafa386
04-10-2008, 09:58 AM
gamma live wire xp or kirschbaum touch multifibre

jmk2888
04-10-2008, 10:04 AM
What did you not like about the Yonex 850? I've been thinking of trying it and would love to learn from your experience.

I thought the Yonex 850 played like the
ISOSPEED Professional 17
Alpha Gut 2000 16

They were both soft but not as soft as NRG2 and it did not hold tension well.

Doc Hollidae
04-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Maxim Touch felt similar to NRG, but without as much power.

jmk2888
04-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Maxim Touch felt similar to NRG, but without as much power.

Didn't you switch over to Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament String 17 ??

How's it compare to........

Maxim Touch vs. Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament String 17

and

Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament String 17 vs. NRG2

????

Thanks,

JK

Doc Hollidae
04-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Maxim Touch has a firmer feeling and is the lowest powered than PSGM. Very crisp feeling, yet soft at the same time. Very little string movement.

PSGM is more durable than the other two. Power is inbetween the two strings, but closer to Maxim Touch in power than NRG2. The feel is more buttery than crisp. Softness is about the same as Maxim Touch. Strings move second most.

NRG2 felt and plays the best, but durability and price make it an expensive choice. Most powerful and softest of the three. Strings are all over the place.

Once Maxim Touch loosens up, it plays more similar to NRG2 in feel and touch. However the power level is lower. NRG2 is just a powerful string in general. I don't know how Maxim Touch plays in a full job. I play with Big Ace crosses usually.

Main reason I switched was durability and a tad more power. I play with the multi in my mains, so I'm breaking strings a lot faster than expected. PSGM lasts me a little longer than Maxim Touch and saves me from having to string the O ports as frequently.

bronco_mba
04-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Doc,

I just ordered some Big Ace and Maxim Touch and was going to hybrid them with Maxim Touch on the mains and the Big Ace on the crosses.

I take from your sig you string the poly crosses higher than the multi mains. Is that right? I would have expected the poly crosses strung lower. Can I ask why?

I agree with you on TF NRG2, very high powered string that certainly moves all over the place. It has a knack of staying put once it moves too, which forced me to constantly move the strings back into place after each point.

Doc Hollidae
04-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Doc,

I just ordered some Big Ace and Maxim Touch and was going to hybrid them with Maxim Touch on the mains and the Big Ace on the crosses.

I take from your sig you string the poly crosses higher than the multi mains. Is that right? I would have expected the poly crosses strung lower. Can I ask why?

I agree with you on TF NRG2, very high powered string that certainly moves all over the place. It has a knack of staying put once it moves too, which forced me to constantly move the strings back into place after each point.

I strung my crosses higher because that's just what I've been doing. No real reason. Just read that people do, so I did it too. Felt fine to me so I just kept doing it. I think it was because poly loses tension faster or something. Once I find something I like I just keep it and only experiment when bored. Also I like my string bed stiff.

Big-Serve
04-10-2008, 12:56 PM
gamma live wire xp or kirschbaum touch multifibre

how is the touch multifibre? Did you try it in Hybrid?