PDA

View Full Version : Federer Forehand (Tennis Mag) Opinions

brownbearfalling
04-10-2008, 11:09 AM
What'd everyone think about the article in the newest Tennis magazine about Federer's forehand? Did it make sense? Did it support your own observations of Fed's Forehand?
________
EXTREME VAPOR (http://vaporizerinfo.com/)

Nellie
04-10-2008, 11:31 AM
I thought the article was really interesting in that it seemed to say that he hit with a modern style (semi/open stance) but with a classic grip (eastern) to take the ball earlier on the rise. I will have to try this.

LuckyR
04-10-2008, 12:22 PM
The part about describing the grip took a few reads to understand.

watermantra
04-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Personally, it was nice to read, since it suggests that my forehand grip, which is similar to Federer's, is not entirely obsolete. I hit between semi-western and eastern, and have always hit that way. It was also heartening to hear someone comment on hitting through the ball as such an important feature of Fed's forehand. Just coming back to tennis and tennis fandom after a long hiatus, I thought I was hearing and seeing a different sport...one that even more than the mid-nineties held up a big forehand as an ultimate weapon. The new instruction I hear about seems from my perspective to teach the windshield wiper motion without too much mention of what your racquet does before it gets there! I was taught a "through the ball" approach from the beginning, and always felt it offered more control, and even more power, if executed with a relaxed, whip like motion. Too many new players, I fear, see Nadal and Roddick in those follow through pictures, and tend to abbreviate their strokes through the middle to match the pictures of the ends of the stroke. That can be a recipe for loss of control, erratic timing, and the inability to adjust to different spins and strange bounces.

Also, it was great to see Federer's great concentration on the ball. Through the series of photos, you can really see his focused eyes on the ball, and at the spot the ball was after his racquet went by. This is also in keeping which what I was taught so many years ago.

I was drawn to tennis initially because of the beauty of the pure tennis stroke. Federer's strokes for the most part exemplify those classically beautiful, yet timeless strokes that I fell in love with.

Mike Cottrill
04-10-2008, 02:32 PM
John Yandell does nice work.