PDA

View Full Version : Sensation?

SlapShot
04-10-2008, 10:24 AM
G***smyth was out of my usual cheapo string (Prince SGD 17), so I picked up a couple of sets of Sensation 17 to give them a shot. Am I going to love them or no?

About me:

4.0-ish player, SW forehand, topspin 2HBH, flat and kick serves, using Head FXP Prestige MP. I tend to hit pretty hard for my level, and with a 16 main pattern, I'll break strings in 6-8 hours. The PSGD loses tension after about 4-5 hours, and becomes pretty sloppy at 6 hours or so. I normally string at 54# on a dropweight machine.

Will I dig it? Or should I save it for someone else that might dig a multi?

AmericanTemplar
04-10-2008, 10:45 AM
It's good at first but it breaks really quickly. I haven't used it in a long time but I remember it being extremely "crisp" at first and then moving around and breaking after a few hours.

SlapShot
04-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Crisp, say you? I might like it for the first couple of hours or so. ;)

hoodjem
04-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Can you put it into a hybrid?

So far, it is my favorite cross string--just the right amount of feedback. And in a hybrid, it lasts a long time.

AmericanTemplar
04-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Yeah, it also has a lot of "pop." Not "mushy" in the least.

I bought a reel of it when I was first learning to string. It was a good string to learn with because it's easy to string, it's pretty cheap, it breaks quickly, which gave me more opportunity to string, and it's easy to see any burns that are made weaving the string. I've seriously broken it within a half an hour a few times though when I had hard hitting partners

hoodjem
04-10-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm thinking it would make a good hybrid with BA Micro.

AT?

dman72
04-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Breaks really quickly if you are a heavy hitter..and I'm talking 16 gauge. 17...can't imagine you'll get more than one hitting session out of it.

SlapShot
04-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Can you put it into a hybrid?

So far, it is my favorite cross string--just the right amount of feedback. And in a hybrid, it lasts a long time.

I may try that, but I don't use poly very much (I have one or two racquets strung up with poly as my "in case of emergency frames"). I'll probably try it as a full job first - it's relatively cheap as strings go, and if I'm not burning through it in 20 minutes, it might be a fun ride.

SlapShot
04-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Breaks really quickly if you are a heavy hitter..and I'm talking 16 gauge. 17...can't imagine you'll get more than one hitting session out of it.

We'll see how long I can get out of it. I was hitting with TonLars last night, and we had a couple of fun rallies with some nice pace. :)

TonLars
04-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Definitely! SlapShot hits the ball hard for ANY level on the forehand. Now, if he could tame the wild beast that he is a bit, and keep the ball in the court more, we would have a very dangerous player on our hands!!!

AmericanTemplar
04-10-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm thinking it would make a good hybrid with BA Micro.

AT?

Maybe I'll give it a try if I don't have a full set of BAM on my reel, since I still have some Sensation. Personally I like poly straight up, but I haven't experimented with hybriding as much as you have. Definitely use the Sensation as a cross though, unless you don't mind spending a half an hour stringing for 15 minutes of hitting.

Double Fault
04-11-2008, 04:07 AM
One of my RDXs is getting a full Sensation job today. I'm subscribing to this thread to give you feedback when I try it later today.

nickb
04-11-2008, 04:11 AM
Not a good string IMO...I wouldnt string it for any of my customers...I just wont stock it.

Last time I used the stuff it lasted 20 minutes...

Nick

Valjean
04-11-2008, 04:12 AM
Try a board search.

This has been one of our most-discussed strings. And it's quite old, too.

SlapShot
04-11-2008, 05:35 AM
Definitely! SlapShot hits the ball hard for ANY level on the forehand. Now, if he could tame the wild beast that he is a bit, and keep the ball in the court more, we would have a very dangerous player on our hands!!!

But isn't hitting hard half the fun? ;)

Bad Dog
04-11-2008, 07:30 AM
But isn't hitting hard half the fun? ;)

Certainly; probably most of the fun. :) The following wisdom is borrowed from SoBad, via The_Dark_Knight: “Hit harder – control is for pansies.”

hoodjem
04-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Definitely use the Sensation as a cross though, unless you don't mind spending a half an hour stringing for 15 minutes of hitting.

Right! Definitely use Sensation as a cross in a hybrid, not in a full job. In a hybrid it lasts a long, particularly in a 18 X 20.

Roberto
04-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Right! Definitely use Sensation as a cross in a hybrid, not in a full job. In a hybrid it lasts a long, particularly in a 18 X 20.

This is what I hear often...but doesn't having poly in mains make the multi (sensation) brake even faster than full mutifilament ?

quest01
04-11-2008, 10:47 PM
This string does not last very long. I used this string a while back when I started getting into Tennis again and lets put it this way, this string won't last you very long before busting. It's one of the worst strings in terms of durability I ever used and because of this I will never use this string again.

hoodjem
04-12-2008, 04:44 AM
This is what I hear often...but doesn't having poly in mains make the multi (sensation) brake even faster than full mutifilament ?

Not in my 18 X 20.

The poly keeps everything very stable so no movement, no rubbing, no breakage.

(It's still winter up here, so I'm down to playing only twice a week indoors. I've had Sensation in a hybrid job for about eight weeks. Some gradual tension loss, but no signs of wear and breakage.)

AmericanTemplar
04-12-2008, 08:10 AM
Just to warn you, BAM doesn't stay in place as much as thicker gauged polys.

roddick89
04-12-2008, 10:52 AM
I broke the string on my racquet today and my other was already being restrung so i had to hand it in to the shop to get restrung... anyway i had to hire a stick and chose the k-6.1 95'' that had sensation in and it was ok. Very comfortable but lacked power although that lack of power came mostly from the fram probably. topspin was difficult to get as well, so not great really i wudnt buy it.

Roberto
04-12-2008, 11:08 AM
What poly do you use in that hybrid hoodie ?

hoodjem
04-12-2008, 11:11 AM
I've tried Pros Pro Poly Nova 1.20, and Cyberflash 1.20.

hoodjem
04-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Just to warn you, BAM doesn't stay in place as much as thicker gauged polys.

AT,

Is your Yonex a 16 X 18?

AmericanTemplar
04-13-2008, 07:01 PM
Tis indeed!

1337Kira
04-13-2008, 11:29 PM
I'm guessing this was the location in Roseville?
Or was it the Edina one?

hoodjem
04-14-2008, 05:18 AM
Tis indeed!

I'm gonna buy a reel of BAM 1.15. I'm thinking it'll stay in place pretty well in my 18 X 20 (and of course have great feel, control, durability, and spin).

I still like hybrids quite a bit. But at your suggestion AT, I'll do one in a full bed. Where do you tension?

SlapShot
04-14-2008, 06:17 AM
I'm guessing this was the location in Roseville?
Or was it the Edina one?

This was Roseville. The Edina location usually has a better selection, but I was in the area. ;)

I really like the Minnetonka one - they had 3 LM Prestiges new for $80 when I was there last week. :confused:

AmericanTemplar
04-14-2008, 08:37 AM
I'm gonna buy a reel of BAM 1.15. I'm thinking it'll stay in place pretty well in my 18 X 20 (and of course have great feel, control, durability, and spin).

I still like hybrids quite a bit. But at your suggestion AT, I'll do one in a full bed. Where do you tension?

I have always tensioned at 60/57, but you might want to go a bit lower, especially since you have a tighter string pattern. I've been experimenting with lower tensions & I just strung a racquet with BA 1.22 at 50/47. I notice that the lower tension gives me some more spin, since it propels the ball more & it's definitely quite a bit more comfortable. I do notice a slight loss of control, but nothing drastic. I think that next time I will go up 5 pounds and it should be about perfect.

saxon
04-14-2008, 11:01 AM
i used sensation 17 as the mains @ 59 and nxt tour 16 as the x's @ 57 and i loved them on my prostaff original 95. sadly i broke that racket and now i am using 2 hyper prostaffs and just bought a prince o3 shark midplus that i love!

AmericanTemplar
04-15-2008, 09:17 PM
OK hoodjem, I installed the BAM/Sensation setup at 55 lbs tonight. I'll tell you how it plays tomorrow.

On a side note: when I was installing the mains, I was thinking about how I'm kinda going to miss my Klippermate once I get my crank, until I got to the crosses. You might want to pre-stretch the Sensation, because it took like 3 drops every time.

hoodjem
04-16-2008, 06:50 AM
I have always tensioned at 60/57, but you might want to go a bit lower, especially since you have a tighter string pattern. I've been experimenting with lower tensions & I just strung a racquet with BA 1.22 at 50/47. I notice that the lower tension gives me some more spin, since it propels the ball more & it's definitely quite a bit more comfortable. I do notice a slight loss of control, but nothing drastic. I think that next time I will go up 5 pounds and it should be about perfect.

Wow, going from 60/57 to 50/47 seems quite a lot. And only a "slight loss of control." Most interesting.

Yea, let me know about 55.

P.S. I have actually tried the poly mains and the syn gut crosses at exactly the same tension (no 5-10% drop for the poly) and I don't notice that much difference. (My fave Pros Pro Poly Nova and Sensation were both put in at 59.)

Double Fault
04-16-2008, 07:02 AM
Tried it and liked it.

After Babolat Xcel Premium, Sensation is my new favorite. And if you compare bang for the buck, Sensation is probably the best multi out there.

SlapShot
04-16-2008, 07:21 AM
Well, I'm going to be hitting the courts with it tonight. I'll let you all know if it lasts more than an hour or so. ;)

SlapShot
04-17-2008, 05:44 AM
Alright.....after 2+ hours of hitting last night, I'm slightly impressed. Nice bite, definitely a lively and crisp string. I'm hitting again tomorrow - I'll need to keep track of how it hits tomorrow.

It was moving around a lot by the end of the session, but I was overhitting to the extreme.

AmericanTemplar
04-17-2008, 07:45 AM
The BAM/Sensation combo appears not to be my cup of tea, as expected. I'm not going to say much about my thoughts right now because I only used it against the wall, but I'll give it a try with my partner tonight and report back tomorrow.

1337Kira
04-17-2008, 07:06 PM
I should try going to the Edina and Minnetonka locations, but they're so far away =[
Roseville is only like 10 minutes away =D

saturn
04-18-2008, 07:45 AM
I use the sensation 16 and it lasts long time for me ie. 6 months. I have to cut it out and restring. I like this string alot and I string it for all my customers and they usually use it for 3 or 4 months.