PDA

View Full Version : Stringing with GUT - adjustments

Netgame
04-10-2008, 11:40 AM
I have always played with good quality multi-filiments, but last week I tried a full set of natural gut for the first time. The feel of the ball hitting the strings was incredible. However, I had no control. The ball would go deep a lot. Does this mean that I should string the natural gut at a tighter tension than the multis? I don't know if my budget can afford experimentation with natural gut.

volleyman
04-10-2008, 01:22 PM
I string my gut 2-4 lobs higher than my multifilaments, to account for both gut's increased power and better tension maintenance.

One thing to try is hybriding gut mains with synthetic gut crosses (ex OG Sheep Micro). For me, this still feels and plays better than a premium multifilament. However, it dramatically cuts the cost of a gut stringjob, chopping the string expense almost in half, and it dampens the power of the gut some, meaning you don't have to change your tension as much.

Steve Huff
04-10-2008, 04:11 PM
A lot of times, with natural gut, people do hit long at first. Usually, it's not just the power, but the added bite on the ball. When you hit with a normal low-to-high motion, the ball leaves the racket at a higher projectory due to the ball staying on the strings longer. You could try stringing it tighter, or just take the time to get used to it. It's really an advantage of gut. If you get used to it, you'll find even the best multi's don't have any feel or bite compared to it.