PDA

View Full Version : Interesting experience with RDXmid:

ferrari_827
01-07-2005, 05:38 AM
I have a few tennis partners, 4.0-5.0 level, and let them hit with my racket for a little to see how they would play. The player with the best technique (at least 5.0) adjusted very well and said the frame was excellent on all shots. The 4.0 player, with decent but not excellent technique, struggled with consistency and power, and didn't like it at all.

I realize one can't generalize just from a couple of players, but it did confirm my suspicion that those with anything less than good mechanics on all shots will have trouble playing well with the midsize. But I am convinced that for advanced players, this frame has no limits, like the PS6.0 or Prestige.

mary fierce
01-07-2005, 05:45 AM
That is quite interesting! So, in other words, better players played better with the racquet? Do you find that this applies to other racquets as well, or is it strictly a RDX500 mid phenomenon?

BLiND
01-07-2005, 05:59 AM
Strange because I found it easier to play with than many other racquets I've come accross, for a start its very light weight... and I am only a 3.5

Mies
01-07-2005, 06:12 AM
Well, I took the racket out for a spin yesterday. I am a Dutch guy so I can only guess at my NRTP level. I'd say 4.0 singels (4.5 on a good day) and 4.5 in doubles consistently. I have a semi-western forehand and a western backhand with spin (or slice of course). I have a relatively big serve (compared to the rest in my club and the ppl I play against in the league).

The first half hour of the hour I played yesterday, I was adapting to the feel of the racket upon hitting a ball. Very different from any other I have hit with (up and untill yesterday I was a Yonex virgin :)). Once I got used to that, I found that there was a lot of power and spin to be had from this racket. The 90 sq. inch was very, very forgiving, more than the prestige mid for instance.

However, I found the racket a bit light when swinging it. It felt a bit "tweenerish" (NOTE: ONLY with respect to how easy it is to swing around) even though it put 343 grams on the scale I have at home. I really had to remind myself not to start whipping my forehands and focus on the proper follow through of my stroke. Consistency was fine on all strokes, but as I said, I had to focus a bit on the forehand side (then again, I switched from a full western only 3 months ago, so Ican't expect too much here since the shot is a bit unliable at this point).

Even though consistency was not an issue, the feel I got when hitting the ball was a bit "loose". It felt a bit springy, but I think this is more of a stringing issue than something due to the frame.

At this point, but that's only after hitting with it for an hour, I am very pleased with the racket, but I'm inclined to toss some lead at 10 and 2 and restring a few pounds tighter. Just out of curiosity: Has anyone here played with lead on an RDX mid? And what's your string setup like?

Anyways, I'm gonna leave it as it is for now and play 2 more doubles matches with it. It is not yet my holy grail, but I need a little more time getting comfortable with the frame and we'll see. If not, I'll probably go for a LM prestige MP or for a Vantage once they are operational.

Regards

BLiND
01-07-2005, 06:29 AM
Thats exactly what I thought Mies... it did feel a little tweenerish, and the 90" was forgiving compaired to my Prestige Mid.

ferrari_827
01-07-2005, 06:42 AM
Mies, alot of the RDX users on this board are experimenting with strings. A couple reported that the Yonex Tour 850 plays very well in this frame, and Laserfibre Supreme. As long as you can hit a powerful consistent ball with the frame, the "lightness" or maneuverability is a plus in my book, but by all means add lead if that will slow down your swing.

Mies
01-07-2005, 06:47 AM
Thanx for the feedback,

Ferrari, I agree with you on the manouverability of the racket being a plus. The only reason for the lead would be that I have a little problem with keeping my forehand swingpatch consistent with a more headlight racket, but as I said, I switched grips a couple o months ago. A more headheavy racket forces me to stick with the proper path, cuz I cant "wrist" my shot so easily then. The problem is my new stroke falling back into it's old pattern, not so much the racket :)......hm... I will stick with the RDX as it is for now and we'll see....

Regards

Tomek_Pl
01-07-2005, 07:20 AM
Mies I have LM Prestige anf\d want to change this racqet. It's not that good as some earlier models. It lacks feeling. If you don't go 100% on your returns they are very weak for your opponent to attack. Also I have problems with my serve.
Maybe if you don't go for RDX try Ti-80. I've comared it to my LM and everything was better. I didn't like only some metall feeling in it, but it could had been string.
Next weak I'm testing RDX MP, RDG HD and Ti-80, maybe RDX Mid. I'm not sure only if Iim affraid of testing it because I'm affraid of liking it very much but having too many misshits...

Hewitt rulez
01-07-2005, 12:50 PM
I liked this racquet except for as most people had a little trouble with power but could deal with that. What got me was I would put so much spin on the ball that it would either land very short of go into the net. Did anyone else have this problem?

greg280
01-07-2005, 08:59 PM
yawwwwnnnn.......oh...hi... i hit with this yonex mid everyone is talking about and compared it to my austrian prestige tour 600 mid on serves and forehand winners and ...well...went back to bed