PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Channel selling Las Vegas tournament to ATP

Vitaly Evchenkov
04-10-2008, 03:04 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-lasvegastournament&prov=ap&type=lgns

LOS ANGELES (AP)—Tennis Channel is selling the rights to its Las Vegas tournament to the ATP, which could take the event out of the city.

“It’s time for us to focus more of our energy on … (bringing) more tennis to television and the Internet than ever before,” Tennis Channel chairman Ken Solomon said in a statement Thursday.

The network bought the tournament from IMG in 2005, when it was played in Scottsdale, Ariz., and renamed it the Tennis Channel Open that year. The tournament was moved to Las Vegas in 2006.

“The ATP is currently in the process of determining the future of the Las Vegas event,” Tennis Channel’s statement said.

Asked for comment, tour spokesman Kris Dent said: “The ATP can confirm that the Tennis Channel has decided not to continue operating the Las Vegas ATP Tour event. ATP can also confirm that it has purchased the membership and will now consider all available options for the vacancy

bluetrain4
04-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Go back to Scottsdale or somewhere in the Phoenix area.

Vitaly Evchenkov
04-10-2008, 03:09 PM
the attendance was abysmal and the weather pretty sketchy (with sand blowing in players faces, long sleeves being worn...etc)

TNT16
04-10-2008, 07:21 PM
I think this is actually great news. Totally empty stands cannot be good for tennis. And TTC should focus on what they are supposed to do - work on improving their tennis coverage. I would much rather see them commit their resources to covering IW and/or Miami next year rather than engaging in this unnecessary flagship (ie loss leader) exercise with the tournament.

Vitaly Evchenkov
04-10-2008, 07:29 PM
man, that would be GREAT if they actually wisened up and bought the rights for PLO and MIAMI.

i was so disappointed that I couldn't see Nadal play Blake (awesome) and Nadal play Tsonga (amazing) that I wanted to punch the tv set.
but it was not my tv sets fault so i reconsidered!:confused:

jamauss
04-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Go back to Scottsdale or somewhere in the Phoenix area.
That's what I'm talkin' about. I'd make sure to attend if it came back here.

Rob_C
04-10-2008, 11:02 PM
According to the article, its most likely going to be dropped from the schedule entirely because of the tournament schedule changes that will take effect in '09.