PDA

View Full Version : If Nadal won Wimbledon but didnt face Federer...

fer
04-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Would it be the same?

Vision84
04-10-2008, 03:08 PM
A win is a win.

Babb
04-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Considering how beautiful Fed's been performing this year, I wouldn't be surprised if Nadal met someone else in the final. And even if Fed did make it to the final, would beating him be that much of an accomplishment since he's so out of it right now?

And to answer the OP, yes.

drakulie
04-10-2008, 03:14 PM
It will be just as valuable, but only if he does it with a smaller frame than what he is currently using. If he wins it with his current frame>>> it doesn't count.

Babolat725
04-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Federer is doing terrible

Babb
04-10-2008, 03:20 PM
It will be just as valuable, but only if he does it with a smaller frame than what he is currently using. If he wins it with his current frame>>> it doesn't count.
Hahaha. You're only halfway serious, right?

drakulie
04-10-2008, 03:25 PM
^^LOL. I'm not saying I ain't serious, and I'm not saying that I am >>> but I ain't. :)

Babb
04-10-2008, 03:32 PM
^^^
I'm more confused now than I was initially. Lol... it's all good though. I have learned to accept you and your mid-sized racquet addiction ;)

drakulie
04-10-2008, 03:33 PM
^^^I'm just kidding, Babb.

Of course Nadal's win will be just as valuable, regardless of who he beats inthe final.

lambielspins
04-10-2008, 03:34 PM
It makes zero difference in the end. The same would be true if Federer won the French without facing Nadal (seems less likely to happen mind you). Unless someone had to miss the event altogether with a major injury or something, then that might be different. However if both are in the draw and one wins without playing the other in the final, or even not Djokovic either for that matter, they are still the worthy champion in the end.

Fedace
04-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Nadal will only win if he does not face Djokovic along the way. If rafa plays fed, he will beat him. but i fear, Novak could be a problem..

Grimjack
04-11-2008, 04:38 AM
The odds of Nadal winning Wimbledon no matter who he faces are microscopic.

He can't possibly have a run of luck like he's had the last two years for a third straight. Didn't have to play anyone of consequence the first year and still barely advanced (unless you consider a crippled Agassi a daunting task). And everyone who was thrashing him -- and there were multiple -- succumbed to injury the second year.

Evaluated rationally, he shouldn't be favored to get beyond the quarters.

Katlion
04-11-2008, 04:50 AM
No. This will never happen, because Roger OWNS Wimbledon!

caulcano
04-11-2008, 06:10 AM

He can't possibly have a run of luck like he's had the last two years for a third straight. Didn't have to play anyone of consequence the first year and still barely advanced (unless you consider a crippled Agassi a daunting task). And everyone who was thrashing him -- and there were multiple -- succumbed to injury the second year.

Making 2 consecutive finals based on luck is just as microscopically impossible. Don't be suprised if Nadal makes the Wimbledon final this year. And if he does meet Federer in the final, the outcome will be the same as 2006 & 2007.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-11-2008, 06:22 AM
His name is going down on that wall regardless, so it will have the same value.

Strobe Lights
04-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Now to answer the question, it would still be a remarkable achievement and no-one could claim it is worth nothing because he didn't beat Fed. However of course it would be a greater historic and special moment if he beat Fed in the final (having lost to him in the previous two) and preventing Fed from breaking Borg's record. Just as Federer winning the French would give him the Career Grand Slam and be a phenomenal achievement, which would be more special if he defeated Rafa and prevented him getting 4-in-a-row. In the same way, Sampras winning that last US Open against Agassi made it a better moment than say against Canas (random pick), even though that would still have been a remarkable way to go out.

A win is a win, and Rafa's name would be on the wall. If he didn't have to play Federer, then Federer was not good enough to get to the stage to play him.

ninman
04-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Quite a brave thing (not actually, because you'd never do it) to say considering he was just in the semi of the Australian and had 4 break points in the final set of last years Wimbledon against Rog. Rafa winning a non-French slam is not a ridiculous proposition, as you make it seem.

Nadal got to the semi's of the Australian courtesy of a ridiculously easy draw, and he got to the final of Wimbledon twice thanks to sheer luck. Federer by comparison is a far better clay courter than Nadal a hard or grass courter, and also should have won sets 1 and 3 at the French Open. Nadal won in 4, but it could just as easily have been Federer in 3 or 4 also, thanks to the 17 bp's he had.

chiru
04-11-2008, 08:07 PM

If i recall, everyone said the same thing last year, how he had a fluke 06. if i remember, he beat the world's 3rd best player (even tho he wasn't ranked that) in djokovic and had to deal with teh most ridiculous draw ever due to his weather problems. i think its a shame that people can't ever appreciate greatness when tehy see it just cuz they dont' like the player. i always choose rafa over federer but that doesn't mean i dont acknowledge his brilliance.

daddy
04-12-2008, 04:36 AM
If i recall, everyone said the same thing last year, how he had a fluke 06. if i remember, he beat the world's 3rd best player (even tho he wasn't ranked that) in djokovic and had to deal with teh most ridiculous draw ever due to his weather problems. i think its a shame that people can't ever appreciate greatness when tehy see it just cuz they dont' like the player. i always choose rafa over federer but that doesn't mean i dont acknowledge his brilliance.

I am not so sure he beat Djokovic ? He was handed that one .. although generaly I agree with you, I dont think his two finals are pure luck, you have to be good enough in order to be able to make use of any oportunity presented to you, he obviously is.

I did say this a few times, I still think he will have a hard time getting past Roddick or Djokovic this year. It all depends on the draw, Wimbledon being one of the places where draw is soooo important. Imagine the difference between getting Davydenko and Djokovic in your part of the draw ? Or for example Roddick or Ferrer ?

Josherer
04-12-2008, 04:43 AM

Dam straight. I'd love to see Nadal hit with a 90"

feetofclay
04-12-2008, 05:19 AM
[QUOTE=daddy;2245916]I am not so sure he beat Djokovic ? He was handed that one .

I watched that match live. Djokovic retired with a blister to his little toe, which only became apparent when Nadal picked up his game and began to beat him.In answer to the original question, of course a win at Wimbledon against anyone would have the same value.

daddy
04-12-2008, 05:24 AM
I watched that match live. Djokovic retired with a blister to his little toe, which only became apparent when Nadal picked up his game and began to beat him.In answer to the original question, of course a win at Wimbledon against anyone would have the same value.

As I said many will find it hard to accept this. You having been there has nothing to do with the talk that Djokovic may not even play the match, and prior the match he gave an interview and basically said, I am going out to give my best for as long as I can. Anyways if you think a sane person would quit on wimbledon semis unles thay can not continue for real, then so be it.

There is always this year for Djokovic to prove you wrong about his grass court skills.

zagor
04-12-2008, 05:29 AM
[QUOTE=daddy;2245916]I am not so sure he beat Djokovic ? He was handed that one .

C'mon now,Djokovic and Gasquet are the guys that have been screwed by rain at Wimbledon more than anybody else.Djokovic could barely walk in that semifinal but even if he was fully rested and still lost that match he is a different player this year and I know most people disagree with this but if he meets Nadal in Wimbledon this year I'd pick him for the win.

daddy
04-12-2008, 05:31 AM
^^^ Zagor you quted me but the guy who said this was Feetofclay and I also tried to correct him.

zagor
04-12-2008, 05:37 AM
^^^ Zagor you quted me but the guy who said this was Feetofclay and I also tried to correct him.

Didn't notice that,nevermind.If he thinks that Djokovic wasn't affected by crazy amount of time he spent on court that's his problem,he has a right to his opinion.I hope that Djokovic is on Nadal's side of the draw in Wimbledon so we can see a rematch this year.

daddy
04-12-2008, 05:45 AM
Didn't notice that,nevermind.If he thinks that Djokovic wasn't affected by crazy amount of time he spent on court that's his problem,he has a right to his opinion.I hope that Djokovic is on Nadal's side of the draw in Wimbledon so we can see a rematch this year.

You know whats crazy ? You can get Roddick and Djokovic and possibly Gasquet ( if he fails to be top 8 ) all on one side ( Federer's or Nadal's ) and then have Ferrer and Davydenko on other side. It is fairly possible the draw turns out this way, I surely hope not.

zagor
04-12-2008, 05:54 AM
You know whats crazy ? You can get Roddick and Djokovic and possibly Gasquet ( if he fails to be top 8 ) all on one side ( Federer's or Nadal's ) and then have Ferrer and Davydenko on other side. It is fairly possible the draw turns out this way, I surely hope not.

Who knows how the draw will come out but I know that I would love to see Djokovic-Nadal,Roddick-Nadal,Djokovic-Roddick,Federer-Roddick,Ancic(if he is in good form)-Nadal,Djokovic-Ancic etc.Those would be some great matches but most of all I would like to see a rematch of Novak-Nadal if they're both healthy and rested.I don't know how people don't realize that Novak has the game to beat Nadal on grass just like guys Sodderling and Youzhny,the difference is that Djokovic is(on top of the fact that he is a better player then both of them) miles mentally tougher and is not intimidated by Nadal at all.It would be a tough match but I think that Djokovic would win.

daddy
04-12-2008, 06:09 AM
Who knows how the draw will come out but I know that I would love to see Djokovic-Nadal,Roddick-Nadal,Djokovic-Roddick,Federer-Roddick,Ancic(if he is in good form)-Nadal,Djokovic-Ancic etc.Those would be some great matches but most of all I would like to see a rematch of Novak-Nadal if they're both healthy and rested.I don't know how people don't realize that Novak has the game to beat Nadal on grass just like guys Sodderling and Youzhny,the difference is that Djokovic is(on top of the fact that he is a better player then both of them) miles mentally tougher and is not intimidated by Nadal at all.It would be a tough match but I think that Djokovic would win.

Hey you got me going here. I think the best would be rematch of Soderling - Nadal b/c Soderling is in good form this year and just yeasterday gave only 5 games away in argentina on clay to blow off Acasuso and they have a history from the last meeting. Then Id like a Roddick - Fedrerer and Nadal - Djokovic. Just to see, Roddick will have a crapy clay season like usually, and will not meet Fed ( most probably ) so I would expect him to be well rested and ready for the grass, and Joker - Nadal for the same reasons as you.

TheNatural
07-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Oh well, Joker wasnt affected by too much time on court this year. :) And you got your rematch at Queens and Nadal WON again. Youzhny lost again too. Wish a little harder next year. :)

2nd_Serve
07-07-2008, 05:38 PM
No...If he got an easy victory, it wouldn't mean as much as a hard fought victory.

Fries-N-Gravy
07-08-2008, 04:38 AM
it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning.

nadal and everyone witnessing were just lucky to see him play federer in the final.