PDA

View Full Version : Blur Gear 17g....

In)SpiRe
04-10-2008, 03:11 PM
I had my hopes up when I got my Dunlop AeroGel 200 strung up with Blue Gear at 68/65, no lie, the racquet looks amazing with these strings, but the playability wasn't as good as I had hoped. Before people start saying stuff about the tension... I love my tensions high, although I love the pop you get from lower tensions, I just love it when my strings are strung up tight, and the tight 18x20 string bed just felt even better. The racquet is great but I don't suggest a full job of this stuff(BG) in the Dunlop AeroGel 200 18x20. Although the spin is very noticeable, especially on my kickers, the groundstroke game wasn't what I was looking for, and the pop that i normally get from stiff strings, like Cyberflash, wasn't there. These strings were definitely alive when playing, but sometimes the shots would just fly. I was hoping for a better outing with these, but I'm going to have a much better outing with them tomorrow as we get out of school early and I'm going to be getting like 7 hrs of playing time :]. Maybe it was b/c it's been a couple days since I've played, or the wind, or some other factor, but currently in my book, I'm not as happy with these strings as I had hoped.

Doc Hollidae
04-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Um. 68 lbs is way too high for Blue Gear. Due to the texture of Blue Gear, it affords you the luxury of stringing lower because it bites into the ball so well. Try stringing it around 62-64. I think you'll find it plenty stiff, but more playable. I used to string at high tensions as well, but found that I had to drop the tension of Blue Gear because of the texture.

In)SpiRe
04-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Hmm, I'll prob just play with it till it drops tension more. If it does play better at lower tensions, then it'll prob start playing better as I play more. Hopefully, but even so, I'll prob be ditching these strings anyways, even with it playing better at lower tensions, I don't think It'll really give me the playability that I'm looking for.

wao
04-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Um. 68 lbs is way too high for Blue Gear. Due to the texture of Blue Gear, it affords you the luxury of stringing lower because it bites into the ball so well. Try stringing it around 62-64. I think you'll find it plenty stiff, but more playable. I used to string at high tensions as well, but found that I had to drop the tension of Blue Gear because of the texture. Have to agree with Doc here. I droped mine down from PHT and Lux by a couple of lbs. But I haven't string that tight in years.

In)SpiRe
04-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Yep, gave it another go today after letting the tension drop with some rallies and time. It played MUCH better. I was actually able to rally like I normally do and the extra spin brought it down. But during an actual match, the strings didn't really help me and I actually played worse than usual. But w/e, Ima keep these strings in as long as I can b/c I don't wanna play for another restringing. IMO these strings are meant for the people who have a little problem making their own pace, something that i can do, and it just magnified it during match play.
The only positive note I can leave with this is that the string looks fantastic in my AeroGel 200.

netman
04-11-2008, 06:11 PM
Wow! 68/65. You must have arms of steel.

I've tried just about every co-poly on the market and have found that when you go above 55-56 lbs in a true player's frame, you turn them into the equivalent of the steel cable used to support ski lifts.

Perhaps you should try it at the bottom of your frames recommended tension. I get weeks of play out of the TopSpin co-polys at 55/52 in the Yonex RDS 001 and I hit the ball very hard off both sides.

Might change your mind and at least your elbow will thank you. :)

In)SpiRe
04-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Hmm, I'm going to be doing Cyberflash next. I'll try dropping the tension to maybe around 63/60 or maybe 60/57 and see what happens. Thx for the heads up netman :].

ledor
04-11-2008, 10:08 PM
I had my hopes up when I got my Dunlop AeroGel 200 strung up with Blue Gear at 68/65...

yeowza...those numbers scare me and my tender arm. If you said gut, i would have approved.

so yeah, try a tension drop and see if it improves, cause it actually does, if you search around these forums. Dunlop AG 200 is a small head, and it's allready filled with major control.