PDA

View Full Version : 2 Handed Backhand Grip on the Pro Tour

kirschbomb
04-10-2008, 07:17 PM
What grips do some of the top pros in the game us on their double-handed backhands? Such as:

Djokovic
Nadal
Davydenko
Roddick (i suspect a east/east)
Nalbandian (I suspect he uses conti/semi or conti/western)
Berdych
Mathieu
Monaco
Murray
Andreev
Tursonov
Safin
Soderling
Cilic
Melzer
Koubek

and any more you can think of

soyizgood
04-17-2008, 03:24 PM
What grips do some of the top pros in the game us on their double-handed backhands? Such as:

Djokovic
Nadal
Davydenko
Berdych
Mathieu
Monaco
Murray
Andreev
Tursonov
Safin
Soderling
Cilic
Melzer
Koubek

Try watching still video. That might answer the question for some of the 2HBHers (Nadal, Djokovic, Safin, Nalbandian)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXF5zghUQtI

Djokovicfan4life
04-17-2008, 03:28 PM
The Djokovic shot is awesome, that would be a cool avatar!

On a side note, it actually looks like Safin mishit that ball! :shock:

soyizgood
04-17-2008, 03:45 PM
The Djokovic shot is awesome, that would be a cool avatar!

On a side note, it actually looks like Safin mishit that ball! :shock:

I still have all the photos I used for that video. If you want, I can email or post the URL for that Djokovic pic.

Djokovicfan4life
04-17-2008, 03:53 PM
That would be sweet! Post it if it's not too much trouble.

soyizgood
04-17-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm working on another video. This should be even better. I'll try to add in some folks I left off as well (i.e. Davydenko, Hewitt, Ivanovic, Kuznetsova to name a few).

quicken
04-17-2008, 05:37 PM
I wish Tsonga was in there, his BH is nice

star_of_death80
04-18-2008, 03:50 AM

Djokovic
Nadal
Davydenko
Berdych
Mathieu
Monaco
Murray
Andreev
Tursonov
Safin
Soderling
Cilic
Melzer
Koubek

Most of those guys would use a conti/eastern but there are players that have grips that don't match the swing. Guys I can vouch that have a conti/eastern safin, nalbandian, djokovic, nadal, davydenko. if you look at all the listed players you mention on the backhand, its a linear shot when they hit into it therefore the only group that lends into that swing shape is the conti/east. A conti/semi you can find with nearly all the WTA girls, very rotational shot when they hit, much like semi-western forehand.

djokovic's swing could be that much better for the conti/east grip he uses, nalbandian has perfect swing for his grip

Ash_Smith
04-18-2008, 08:30 AM
Nadal's top hand is further round than eastern.

soyizgood
04-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Nalbandian's a continental/semi-western

Babb
04-18-2008, 09:55 AM
The only 2hbh that matters is Nalbandian's ;) . That backhand of his is amazing.

Ash_Smith
04-18-2008, 10:11 AM
From pics I'd say Nalbandian is more eastern than semi-w with his top hand.

soyizgood
04-18-2008, 02:37 PM
DF4L, here is a Djokovic backhand photo. The one I used is on my laptop and I can post that later.

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/09/24/tennis_Djokovic_narrowweb__300x415,0.jpg
http://hajiorg.game-host.org/images/djokovic.jpg

star_of_death80
04-19-2008, 08:17 PM
DF4L, here is a Djokovic backhand photo. The one I used is on my laptop and I can post that later.

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/09/24/tennis_Djokovic_narrowweb__300x415,0.jpg
http://hajiorg.game-host.org/images/djokovic.jpg

Definitely right hand dominant, it can be visibly seen in that second picture. Look at that right elbow, the momentum of his swing is dominated by his right hand. If your left hand dominant like Nalbandian then you should have minimal movement with the right arm during the swing other than support.

By the way Soyizgood, you say your backhand looks like Djokovic but you use a grip combo that is that of Jelena Jankovic, who has a chicken wing look that you don't. I think with your grip you'll have greater results if you had the chicken wing look. Interesting :)

soyizgood
04-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Definitely right hand dominant, it can be visibly seen in that second picture. Look at that right elbow, the momentum of his swing is dominated by his right hand. If your left hand dominant like Nalbandian then you should have minimal movement with the right arm during the swing other than support.

By the way Soyizgood, you say your backhand looks like Djokovic but you use a grip combo that is that of Jelena Jankovic, who has a chicken wing look that you don't. I think with your grip you'll have greater results if you had the chicken wing look. Interesting :)

Jankovic does what works best for her. I do what works best for me. I hit with my arms extended. On occasion if I have to deal with a close ball I'll bend my elbows in order to adjust. Nalbandian's 2HBH is arguably the same grip combo I use and nobody considers his a chicken wing stroke. Hantuchova's backhand has a rather loopy swing yet fully extends her arms on contact as well.

I said Djokovic's elbows are situated similar to mine after contact. I never said I use his grip, but wanted to make a case that his backhand isn't necessarily right hand-dominant. A right hand-dominant grip would likely require Djokovic to have a compact swing motion and to attack the ball early and often. Agassi was shorter (5'9" with extra soles) so he had good reason to have a RH-dominant backhand. He was willing and able to time his shot to perfection to get sharper angles and feed off the opponent's pace. Djokovic is 6'2" do he can get power and fluid motion from a LH-dominant backhand without problems. I don't watch enough of Djokovic's matches, but from what I've seen I don't really think he uses a RH-dominant backhand.

There's no reason for a lanky 6'0" person like myself to be hitting a chicken wing backhand. I have no problems generating power on my backhand, even being only 156 lbs in all. :) Nalbandian's only 5'10" yet his backhand is even more fluid than Safin's or Djokovic's.

J011yroger
04-20-2008, 04:47 AM
Hey Fellas!

Didn't we have this discussion last month in another thread?

J