PDA

View Full Version : Easy playing racquets with power and big sweet spot? Pls suggest.

Alex
01-07-2005, 07:47 AM
Hi everybody!!!
I'm looking for a easy playing racquet ....
For a woman,my girl friend, age 28, height 5 foot 4 in., with short compact swing with some power. Currently, she is using my my old Prince tt tungsten hornet Mid+. From my perspective, she seem to have enough power to hit the ball over the net but landed mostly on the edge or in the service box.

I have selected 3 racquets, Wilson nCode n1, Volkl Catapult 1 Fire Racquets and Volkl Catapult 3 Fire. And other suggestion are welcome.

My questions are:
1) Which is the most easiest to hit and play with?
2) Which has the BIGGEST sweetspot?
3) Which is the most effortless to hit?

Thank you.

equinox
01-07-2005, 09:16 AM
Alex,

Most of the TW board members are not beginner tennis players. Thus are unlikely tobe able to give an accurate view point of how these game improvement racquets play. Our stroke mechanics are vastly different.

I'd suggest taking your gf down to local coaching and have her game strokes evaluated. The coach should be able to recommend suitable racquets to demo. Demo the coaches recommended racquets and let her make the final decision.

Good luck and remember tennis should be fun for you and her.

Ronaldo
01-07-2005, 10:24 AM
All three will do, add the Volkl CAT 2 FIRE to the list, and demo. Own the CAT 1&3 and demoed the n1 and CAT 2, all are excellent, but the CATs have the softest stringbed, and the most comfort. nCode n1 is the lightest, has the most power, and that Wilson firmness that many prefer. All have huge sweetspots.

mverdugo
01-07-2005, 11:25 AM
Would Volkl V1 be too much racquet for her? Another alternative may be Yonex Vcon 15 or 17--they walk on lighter side of tweener stick but really nice feel.

Alex
01-09-2005, 07:32 AM
Thank you all... for the input!
I just wanna get her a powerful and comfortable racquet to hit.
For myself, I don't know much about game improvement racquets.

I noticed that many senior men player and women at clubs seem to prefer Volkl and Wilson racquets. Especially Volkl ... its gaining popularity, many of them improved their game after using Volkl.

Are VOLKL really that good in game improvement racquet?????

Alex
01-09-2005, 07:35 AM
To equinox:

Thanks for the advise equinox. The coach did advised her to get a lighter and more powerful racquet. That's why i pop the question to you all!

Alex
01-09-2005, 07:48 AM
To Ronaldo:

Thanks for the input.. I know all three racquet are great and play almost the same. I would like to know which do you prefer in a long run.

Alex
01-09-2005, 07:49 AM
To mverdugo:

Thanks for the advise..

Yonex!! You need to find a stringer that know how to string them, if not the frame will crack. I experienced cracking a Yonex before. So i rather get a racquet that every one know how to string. The crack is due to improper stringing.

raftermania
01-09-2005, 08:14 AM
Try the Head Ti.S7, Ti.S8

These are big boys.

NoBadMojo
01-09-2005, 09:05 AM
Alex yes I think Volkl does make a very good game improvement line. I'm a big fan of volkl as some might know. they dont spend the big bucks on endorsements it seems, but seem to put alot more into design and and engineering and quality....the german enginering and all that. i like fischer too, but volkl has a nice broad line of products for every level of play, and really has something for everyone, and if they make something stiff, they find ways to take harmful shot out of the hit, so are comfortable to play with. as far as the V1 being a good choice, i dont think so based upon what you are saying about power..the V1 isnt really really powerful.. i think the posters who are suggesting the Cat frames they suggested are all over this...if you check out the Volkl website, it rates the frames based upon power levels in an easy way to understand.

LoveThisGame
01-09-2005, 10:06 AM
The term Volkl V1 is ambiguous because there are several of them.

The Volkl Quantum V1 MP indeed is a powerful, comfortable racquet, which you will learn on the first couple of hits. It goes at about 10.6 ounces.

The Volkl Catapult 2, Generation II is a lightweight frame with comfort, power, and surprising control. The price means you pay for it though.

I don't fully understand the comment on the Yonex frame stringing. A "hack" stringer can damage any racquet. There's nothing out of the ordinary in stringing Yonex, so I would expect a professional stringer to create no problems.