PDA

View Full Version : question about returning in doubles

i love t3nn1s
04-10-2008, 08:38 PM
i play high school tennis for my school, and when i am returning a serve is it better to switch to a continental grip just before the server serves and hit a little chip shot cross court, or is it better to stay with my forehand grip and use a shortend swing and hit the return...

Rickson
04-10-2008, 08:52 PM
i play high school tennis for my school, and when i am returning a serve is it better to switch to a continental grip just before the server serves and hit a little chip shot cross court, or is it better to stay with my forehand grip and use a shortend swing and hit the return...

It depends on how big a server you're facing. I wait in a forehand grip when I face a slow or average server, but I wait in a neutral grip when I face a monster server because I won't have time to adjust grips. You might want to try that strategy.

vndesu
04-10-2008, 09:03 PM
wen i play dubs i tend to chip the serve back.
if its slow of course you would attack,
but most of the time espically against a big serve i try to chip with angle

(Blank)
04-10-2008, 09:59 PM
If the team you're playing is any good, chances are they're going to serve and volley so choose whichever grip gives you the best chance at keeping it low and right at their toes. A nice low chip landing around the service line or a wicked topspin return they have to half volley can set up some easy points.